• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I put some coyote decoys up on the piers of the marina I work at on the north side of Annapolis., they've been keeping the geese away really well.

The plastic ones are the only ones I've seen, but my mom swears she saw one in her back yard in Severna Park.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have seen tracks off Gov Bridge Rd but did not think of coyotes and pretty sure there's no dogs there. Excuse to buy a camera.:)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When and where is it OK to shot them? I grew up around them in Texas and was pretty much live and let live there, but I'm not excited about my dogs potentially tangling with one.

Open season all year, day and night in MD, property/road/building restrictions are going to make legally shooting one north of the South River and east of Davidsonville pretty hard

I don't believe they are prevalent here, however, as there are still quite a few foxes (I hear they will often run them out or even prey on them) and I don't really hear any epidemic of small pets coming up missing.

North Edgewater/Gingerville/Home Port area had a sudden depopulation of stray cats & rabbits mid-summer this year. Still had at least one fox until it showed up as roadkill this week.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    When and where is it OK to shot them? I grew up around them in Texas and was pretty much live and let live there, but I'm not excited about my dogs potentially tangling with one.

I'm curious....where in Annapolis?

I am a licensed wildlife control agent for the state. The last two I took were off of cedar point. The other ones were on very private water front property, for a group of neighbors who were concerned about pets and children running afoul of a Yote

Yea it's cool to shot shit with a suppressed rifle not far from the state house.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I haven't seen one in a couple of years, but they were several around in Mount Airy. They would carry off the groundhogs that died of mysterious causes in my yard. That's why Lindey came up with the term "coyote carryout".

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Shoot, we've seen deer walking the streets in the middle of Glen Burnie Park...

So, why not Coyotes any old place?!!

You're kidding??! When it was built.......... 1957ish or so there was quite a bit of woods before the pool, rec center ect existed, LOTS of sand and trees but no deer. Same with Pasadena, Ft Smallwood Nike Base TONS of woods going all he way back to Bayshore dr, it was near wilderness..... no deer, LOT of ticks but no deer. There were a few around Severn Run, Shipleys Choice on 301 (Bonfire Truck Stop) and a fair amount on Ft Meade but now the place (AACO) has exploded with deer..... go figure. :confused:

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    We saw one here in Riva earlier in the summer.

It was my dumb butt that commented "hey, look at that huge grey fox with something in its mouth". Coyote didn't occur to me at the time.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You're kidding??! When it was built.......... 1957ish or so there was quite a bit of woods before the pool, rec center ect existed, LOTS of sand and trees but no deer. Same with Pasadena, Ft Smallwood Nike Base TONS of woods going all he way back to Bayshore dr, it was near wilderness..... no deer, LOT of ticks but no deer. There were a few around Severn Run, Shipleys Choice on 301 (Bonfire Truck Stop) and a fair amount on Ft Meade but now the place (AACO) has exploded with deer..... go figure. :confused:

DNR had a managed deer hunt in Lake Shore last year. The woods on the east side of North Shore road.

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    A guy I work with took some phone pics of one a few years back @ the Burger King on Sulpher Sping Rd. in Arbutus.

You're kidding??! When it was built.......... 1957ish or so there was quite a bit of woods before the pool, rec center ect existed, LOTS of sand and trees but no deer. Same with Pasadena, Ft Smallwood Nike Base TONS of woods going all he way back to Bayshore dr, it was near wilderness..... no deer, LOT of ticks but no deer.There were a few around Severn Run, Shipleys Choice on 301 (Bonfire Truck Stop) and a fair amount on Ft Meade but now the place (AACO) has exploded with deer..... go figure. :confused:

My stomping grounds,that area is loaded with deer,I know of a few coyote kills not far from there.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Yesterday I saw my neighbor across the street on his atv with an AR on his back. I knew he was on coyote patrol. They go for his chickens.

Carroll county

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    My uncle from Arizona was visiting my mom two months ago and he saw one in her neighborhood (Northern Glen Burnie, off Furnice Branch Road) crossing the road. And trust me, he knows what coyotes look like.

I also have a ton of foxes in my neighborhood (which is probably why they named the development Foxchase).

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Bump

Pretty sure I saw a coyote yesterday morning here in Edgewater. About the size of a medium dog, but with the shape and brownish red coloring of a fox and about 50% bigger. I was outside around 7:30 am and heard dogs barking. Looked up just in time to see it lope up the neighbor's driveway.

Time to put the trail camera back out. :D

I posted in one of the other 'yote threads about sightings/hearing them near me next to the Navy Dairy Farm.In the past month my neighbour has had increasing sign around his chicken and duck pens;scat,tracks and a few glimpses of the silhouettes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I spoke to a game warden earlier this year and he told me it is confirmed there are coyotes in every county in Maryland. So I would not doubt them being in the Annapolis area.

This includes Baltimore City. Just assume there are coyotes where you live.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Yep.

Attachments

• see.jpg
      see.jpg
      3.7 KB · Views: 210

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    many sightings here and coming this January

oh and rats and skunks as well.

Attachments

• state.jpg
      state.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 206

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Bump

Pretty sure I saw a coyote yesterday morning here in Edgewater. About the size of a medium dog, but with the shape and brownish red coloring of a fox and about 50% bigger. I was outside around 7:30 am and heard dogs barking. Looked up just in time to see it lope up the neighbor's driveway.

Time to put the trail camera back out. :D

Saw a dog too big to be a fox with more grey and less shaggy tail in my driveway near Gingerville about 2 weeks ago.

About a week before that there was a much larger roadkill on 665 one morning near Riva Rd, could have been a German Shepard, but I see zero stray dogs (other than foxes) in our part of the county. About all that was left by the time I saw it was 2 smears of blood and a pointy grey ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom