• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    BCM upper.

Excellent choice. If weight is a concern enhanced lightweight stuff is awesome, i tried the fluted for the 11.5. Its incredible. Very light when paired with their rail. I did keymod because it’s supposedly a tad lighter. I was trying to save every bit of weight possible. Its been very accurate too. Nothing special for a trigger, but the thing has been surprisingly accurate at 200 yards. Its eaten any ammo, tula included. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    7.62x39 is not readily available in a subsonic configuration so my minimum length is based on the ability to suppress it with my existing suppressor without destroying it.

cdub702

May 13, 2017
    Mr Rodgers Neighborhood
    Dwell time is short on the 7.5 and they are finicky with different ammo, internals take much more abuse, its louder than hell (literally) some suppressors can handle it, ballistics are a pitiful, and unless you're under 5'5" the hand guard is going to be short for a average guy.I agree with the other guys 10.5 is the shortest I'll ever go with the 5.56, but 11.5 is the sweet spot for me, I cant remember the exact spec but I think the extra inch from 10.5-11.5 give you close to 30% increase in dwell time.

But if want to scare and annoy everyone at a indoor range and it's just a fun gun, definitely go 7.5"!!! KX3 flaming pig comp does take some of the crack out but remember any pistol will be stupid loud.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So the min and the "sweet spot" is about 8.5" and 9" for 300 black, and 10.5" and 11.5" for 5.56. Now to wait and watch for deals on an upper, preferably a BCM.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So the min and the "sweet spot" is about 8.5" and 9" for 300 black, and 10.5" and 11.5" for 5.56. Now to wait and watch for deals on an upper, preferably a BCM.

11.5" is definately sweeter than 10.5. I'm pretty sure Colt stopped making the 10.5 in favor of the 11.5.

I have owned both and sold the 10.5.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Only thing worth adding at this point, If you plan on attaching a suppressor, some cans have a minimum barrel length. Barrel length can whittle down your can choices.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    AR Pistol Barrel Length

Generally accepted 10.5 inches is the shortest you should go on a 5.56 AR pistol because of muzzle flash and velocity loss, although some professionals won't go less than 11.5. At 500 yards a 55 grain bullet coming out of a 10.5 barrel is roughly equal to .22LR in energy. However, a 10.5 inch barrel is more a CQB gun and you can always use heavier (77 grain) bullets for adequate energy past 500 yards. With a non-collapsible arm brace it's possible with a 10.5 inch barrel to install a VFG if your overall length is at least 26 inches.

If you want to go shorter than 10.5 inches, I would recommend a 300 blackout upper. These are loaded for shorter barrels, don't have near the flash as a 5.56 and a 7.5 inch is adequate for most applications.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    After the reports of the Mk18's long term reliability issues, I would absolutely not go under 11.5 on a DI AR-15 that was for serious work. Flash and muzzle velocity are almost secondary considerations compared to that.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Oldline6

Apr 1, 2018
    I was actually thinking 11.5 or 12.5

If it has to be 5.56 those are sound choices for any serious use, simply because with 5.56 more FPS is better. and longer barrel means more FPS. Period. Full stop. Velocity is King...

For a range toy, it's not critical if its life is going to spent solely on plinking and amusement. Go with what makes you happy.

Shorter I'd think hard about 300BLK...That's what it was designed for, not a 20" barrel.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    My 7.5 inch had a horrible muzzle blast issue. It was like getting blasted in the eyes with a camera flash from 3 feet away. Once I put a Kak flash can on it, it became a pleasure to shoot. My advice about barrel length is to decide what size suppressor you might eventually end up getting, and whether or you want to be able to extend a handguard out over it. In that case, the shorter the better...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The Colt Commando was 10.3". 10.5" seems to be the minimum useful length for 5.56. Much shorter than that is going to make big fireballs.

Don't act like fireballs are not a good thing....

Answer is simple. Get multiple. 7.5 and 10.5 here.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I fail to see a reason why I'd choose a 5.56 over a 300blk at barrels under 14" or so. You get much better performance in shorter barrels without the flash/bang. Once you add the thought of potentially suppressing it, it becomes a no-brainer.
    Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 16.19.34.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    After the reports of the Mk18's long term reliability issues, I would absolutely not go under 11.5 on a DI AR-15 that was for serious work. Flash and muzzle velocity are almost secondary considerations compared to that.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I have a Mk 18ish SBR I built with a 10.5" carbine gas barrel that has been flawless. From 5.56 to .223 handloads, it's handled them all, albeit suppressed. That's how the gun was designed.

ETA: This has nothing to do with you, erwos - Anyone considering short barreled rifle-ammunition guns needs to have realistic expectations. I chuckle whenever I hear 'velocity' mentioned in these threads. SBRs, whether pistols or carbines, are made for one primarily purpose. Urban-style combat. Clearing buildings, room by room. Secondarily, they can make good home defense weapons as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom