• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You’d probably want to do 18” +. I have a 20” which will be mated with a BCM upper and Toolcraft BCG. Have those parts. Working on the rest of the build.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    What is going to be the max practical target shooting distance from a 20” barrel? Looking at building one myself.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What is going to be the max practical target shooting distance from a 20” barrel? Looking at building one myself.
    The right load will stay supersonic out to 1000yds from a 20" barrel. If you are purely approaching it from a target perspective, .224 Valk may be a better choice, but it is not going to have the same amount of energy that a 6.5 Grendel pill would.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    The right load will stay supersonic out to 1000yds from a 20" barrel. If you are purely approaching it from a target perspective, .224 Valk may be a better choice, but it is not going to have the same amount of energy that a 6.5 Grendel pill would.

I’m just thinking of trying to build an ar-15 bigger than 223. I already have several of those and a 300blk.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    To me I build uppers. I love Black Hole Weaponry Barrels. I have a 20” Standard profile great not to bad for carry . Off course it is a 264 LBC so it takes a .125 recess bolt. (7.62x 39). Accuracy is hard to beat and because the are polygonal barrels they hardly foul and clean up in a jiffy. ODIN works or tool craft are good BCG’s . I have used both Guntec and Aero Precision upper sets with guards. Both are great options. If you looking for a complete upper Go Grendel 2 and get a complete upper from Odin works or White Oak both a quality uppers. For hunting at 300 max go 18” a 20” can stretch you to 400 yds with proper loads. I ordered a 24” Semi Bull BHW barrel 264 LBC during their winter 30% off sale should get it probably first week of may. This will be for target or for stand hunting when you need a long way to be reachable with some authority. Great cartridge though. relatively easy to load and efficient as hell. Whatever you get shoot the rifling out of it. In a Grendel that will be a long long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine is 18" and works fine from a stand or from the ground. 8lbs with a 3-9x40 scope on it. Using a GWACS polymer lower and Classic Firearms fluted 18" heavy barrel. Balance is just forward of the magazine well and will shoot 1MOA all day long. It HATES Wolf steel case ammo, but all else it shoots 1MOA or better.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I bought an Odin Works kit in 6.5 Grendel from a MD LEO on here. Have not finished it yet but it will be the alternate upper for my 6.8 SPC II AR. I bought a forged upper to connect all the parts and will likely also give it a Vortex scope. All I have to do really is find one of my upper receiver parts kits to get it built then the rest will go together as fast as possible.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    18 inch would work.

One of my favorite is Odin works.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's what I have... haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though. :sad20: Int. gas system with Odin adjustable gas, super easy to install since Odin puts index marks on their barrels and gasblocks.

tdb1uJf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom