• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My old one was a piece of paper that was laminated with a home machine (it seemed).

New one is printed plastic card like a DL

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    How long did it take?

Really tho, for most people, the VA permit is much prettier than the mysterious magicical unicorn MD permit.

NR takes about 3-4 months at least mine did last year.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    What is the benefits of the VA permit if you already have a Utah?

Depends on what states you'd like to use it in.

Utah Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Virginia Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Florida Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

More info: https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Depends on what states you'd like to use it in.

Utah Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Virginia Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Florida Non-Resident: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

More info: https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

This and VA NR gets you around a "possible" issue with GFZ, and with the way NoVA is setup you could be near a school and not know it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This and VA NR gets you around a "possible" issue with GFZ, and with the way NoVA is setup you could be near a school and not know it.

This and also VA politics is somewhat risky. The backlog of NR permits was driven by the state threatening to stop recognizing the Utah permit. VA legislature came pretty close to Dem majority recently, so VA permit has some insurance value.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have heard from multiple people the NR backlog has cleared and people are getting them in under 2 months. Hence my curiosity.

When I applied for mine the it was rumored the backlog was 6 months.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I used mine with my Utah for additional ID at the MVA for Real ID, needless to say I got some strange looks from the lady

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's a lot more money than UT. You cannot renew on line. You basically have to go through the same process as the first time.

Application, one photo, one fingerprint card and 100 dollars.

Not sure about the backlog. VCDL reported that ALL county clerks but two had caught up on entering data into the VSP system.

NR permits are handled directly by VSP.

The new style permit has been around for about 2 years. I got one when someone posted a picture of it here. Cost was negligible but the idiots at VSP misspelled replacement. I called Marie Lucas at VSP and she didn't seem interested in fixing the problem

Attachments

• VA CCW Front.jpg
      VA CCW Front.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 307

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It's a lot more money than UT. You cannot renew on line. You basically have to go through the same process as the first time.

Not sure about the backlog. VCDL reported that ALL county clerks but two had caught up on entering data into the VSP system.

The new style permit has been around for about 2 years. I got one when someone posted a picture of it here. Cost was negligible but the idiots at VSP misspelled replacement. I called Marie Lucas at VSP and she didn't seem interested in fixing the problem

I should ask for a refund the picture the put on mine was way uglier than that one... I am feeling triggered...:innocent0

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    There is a miscue on my part. I dont need a Virginia non resident. I would get a resident... Just that my 'md' utah permit still works... ;)

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017

Did they really misspell "replacement" on the permit? Lol

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I just mailed in my renewal a few weeks ago. Went to Absolute Fingerprinting, who are in the same store as the new Geared Up gun shop in Westminster. The lady was very good at taking the ink prints & also did my photo for me.

Other then screwing with the citizenry, I really don't understand why a new print card is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom