• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I always wanted one and bought one about a year ago, as I wanted the model with the side charging handle, which is great for staying in your shooting position. I don’t like the new design with the AR charging handle.

I bought the 20 inch “Sniper Model” in FDE cerakote. It has the heavy barrel.

I quickly put about $1700 (conservative #) in upgrades on it:

1. Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP
    EBR-2C (MRAD) Reticle | 30mm Tube (MSRP $1,149)

2. LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount, LT111 ($264)

3. Battlecomp BABC ($200)

4. Harris Bipod ($79) (I currently have an Atlas bipod on it, but will remove it if I sell the gun)

5. Accupoint Monopod ($100)

The problem is that I still haven’t fired it! I just don’t have time. I had a gunsmith put on the compensator, mount the scope, and bore sight it in (yes, I’m useless).

The fact that I mounted a scope, does that hurt the price? The gun is perfect and was only fired at the factory.

I’m about $5k into this Rifle and don’t want to get raped on it. Part of me would rather just leave it in my safe and hope I get into long range shooting again, but I could also sell it and free up some money for a Nighthawk Custom that I have my eye on.

Any opinions?

You can see the rifle standing on the table above its little brother, my LWRC IC-Enhanced.

Attachments

• A9B7CF98-070A-4140-961D-1274A8724368.jpg
      A9B7CF98-070A-4140-961D-1274A8724368.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 785
    Last edited:

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I'm curious if you are still a strategic bond investor now that inflation appears ready to take hold. Maybe TIPS are recommended in your book?

I’m a fixed income portfolio manager. Rising inflation is far from certain. I was at a conference in Charlotte last week and many experts are having problems seeing where inflation is going to come from. Baby Boomers are retiring and dying off, while our immigration (which should be inflationary) is not inflationary. Most of our immigration consists of low skilled workers. The head of the MBS trading desk at a major bank, who just had a private lunch with former Fed Chief, Janet Yellen, thinks we will see a 2.5% 10 year UST before we see a 3.5% 10 year.

I do know that I would steer clear of corporate bonds! Spreads are widening out significantly and many strategists expect them to widen out through 2019.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they usually stink. �� Who knows?

We can talk offline about the economy if you’d like, but let’s keep the thread about my REPR. Thanks.

By the way, that book is pre-financial crisis when people thought AAA rated MBS was almost as safe as US Treasuries. LOL! My friend and I had the book out to laugh about what we were taught before the crisis.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have always regretted selling any of my toys. Even the long term safe queens. If if rarely taken out and played with, once gone, regret sets in. Instead of selling off the toys, I just buy a bigger toy chest.

I think that until you decide to sell it, that I should exercise it for you and then you can decide that you don't want it back and just give it to me as a gift.

Now back in planet Earth.....If there's a real possibility that you are going to get into long range shooting, then I'd hold on to it. If you will absolutely never have time to shoot it, then I'd say consider selling it.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I think you would have a difficult time selling unless you are willing to take a loss. Maybe put it up for trade for something else you could use.
    If you decide to sell I would try just selling the rifle first.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    In Philadelphia.....

498C6B65-1FB7-4000-A10D-D35214192BC9.jpeg

It’s worth 50 Bucks

You’re not going to get the money and time that you’ve invested in the rifle so go shoot it and enjoy. Seems like the perfect varmit rifle for decreasing the whistlepig and gopher population.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I’m a fixed income portfolio manager. Rising inflation is far from certain. I was at a conference in Charlotte last week and many experts are having problems seeing where inflation is going to come from. Baby Boomers are retiring and dying off, while our immigration (which should be inflationary) is not inflationary. Most of our immigration consists of low skilled workers. The head of the MBS trading desk at a major bank, who just had a private lunch with former Fed Chief, Janet Yellen, thinks we will see a 2.5% 10 year UST before we see a 3.5% 10 year.

I do know that I would steer clear of corporate bonds! Spreads are widening out significantly and many strategists expect them to widen out through 2019.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they usually stink. �� Who knows?

We can talk offline about the economy if you’d like, but let’s keep the thread about my REPR. Thanks.

By the way, that book is pre-financial crisis when people thought AAA rated MBS was almost as safe as US Treasuries. LOL! My friend and I had the book out to laugh about what we were taught before the crisis.

Ugh. We rebalanced our portfolio to 30% bonds in Feb when the market was at its peak for this year. We now have an approx. 70/30 market to bond split. The bonds are all short term or short term revenue bonds. We're both in our early 60's and are scared to death of being overly exposed to the market.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Your saying you really want to use it, why don’t you just take it out and see if you actually enjoy it? Kinda like making plans with friends, it won’t happen until you commit to a date. Sign up for a class and pay up front.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I always wanted one and bought one about a year ago, as I wanted the model with the side charging handle, which is great for staying in your shooting position. I don’t like the new design with the AR charging handle.

deleted...

Any opinions?

You can see the rifle standing on the table above its little brother, my LWRC IC-Enhanced.

I have a pair of REPR's (16" & 20" barrel) with the side charging handle and love them. The side charging handle was a big discriminator for me so I wouldn't care for the rear charging handle either. I didn't use the REPR's for years until I took the 16" hunting in Tennessee last fall. What an awesome hunting rifle - I took an 800 lb hog with it. The point is times change. One day you might be retired with more time on your hands. I'd keep them. Getting them in the future may be ummm... iffy.
    That is of course someone makes you an offer you can't refuse.:D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You’re not going to get the money and time that you’ve invested in the rifle so go shoot it and enjoy.
    This. You have a nice rifle, and you will never get anything resembling the money you put into it. If you want to free up funds, sell the scope, mount, and muzzle device.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Ugh. We rebalanced our portfolio to 30% bonds in Feb when the market was at its peak for this year. We now have an approx. 70/30 market to bond split. The bonds are all short term or short term revenue bonds. We're both in our early 60's and are scared to death of being overly exposed to the market.

The Fed’s minutes came out today and some FOMC members think inflation will fall below 2% again.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have a pair of REPR's (16" & 20" barrel) with the side charging handle and love them. The side charging handle was a big discriminator for me so I wouldn't care for the rear charging handle either. I didn't use the REPR's for years until I took the 16" hunting in Tennessee last fall. What an awesome hunting rifle - I took an 800 lb hog with it. The point is times change. One day you might be retired with more time on your hands. I'd keep them. Getting them in the future may be ummm... iffy.
    That is of course someone makes you an offer you can't refuse.:D

I’m hoping to get $4k, which is a bargain for a new/unfired REPR with all those accessories. If not, I guess I’ll keep it.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    My opinion, sell it (or part it out and sell it piece by piece) and get what you really want.
    It sounded like you had fun specing and building it.

Luckily this is a firearm and not a car, or electronic item, so you'll still get most of your money out of it.

My budget is pretty tight and if there is something in my collection that I'm not enjoying as much as I thought, it gets sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom