• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    E-Mail Tool: http://www.ksconline.net/

Those opposed to your civil rights acted in the dead of night to hijack a pro-rights bill and turn it into an anti-carry bill.

House Bill 579 has been modified to include an open ended "training requirement" to the permitting process.

The Maryland General Assembly session ends at 11:59pm on Monday April 9th. WE MUST ACT QUICKLY!

We need every single member of Maryland Shall Issue® to contact the General Assembly TODAY! Let's hit them with 6,000 emails, phone calls and personal visits today.

The usual suspects are attempting to add an open ended "training requirement" to the law, that has no limits, no requirements and no detail. It allows a commission appointed by politicians to design and certify training that you must pass before you exercise your civil rights.

This is a naked attempt to enact restrictions after a federal court already ruled existing state law unconstitutional. This 'no limit' training requirement could easily take lessons from places like DC and Chicago - places where it is all but impossible for normal people to meet massive and confusing rules all designed to keep people from exercising their fundamental rights. They could create a requirement that calls for trainers to be certified by the state - and then do things to limit the number of trainers. That idea is straight from DC, where it costs almost $200 to get your training certificate just to own a gun.

These requirements will be designed to limit the number of people who can exercise the right. History has taught us that onerous requirements on civil rights primarily affect those who need the most protection. This bill will disenfranchise poor and minority people in disproportionate numbers. Anytime you set up politically motivated obstacles to exercise a civil right, you are targeting those who need them the most.

MSI does not favor any additional restrictions, but offered language that would have allowed a true safety training regimen that would not raise cost or limit exercise of the right. It was crafted from proven systems used nationwide for almost a quarter or a century, and it would have prevented political appointees from getting creative. This language was ignored.

This bill is not yet law. We have a narrow window to stop this. You need to act immediately. Today and tomorrow are the last real chance to stop this.

Call your representatives now. Fax them. Email them. Visit their offices. Be polite, be respectful but be firm - this is not a safety bill, it is a civil rights denial bill. Tell them to not pass a 'no limit' training requirement!

Use our E-mail tool to contact the General Assembly today.

Bill Text

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Emails sent.

I really hate how the legislature tries to screw us every time.

Thank God we have at least a few on the 'inside.'

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    EDITS

The usual suspects are attempting to add an open ended "training requirement" to the law. This requirement has no limits, no requirements and no details. It allows a commission appointed by politicians to design and certify training that you must pass before you exercise your civil rights.

Add in...This training requirement must also be completed before any applications are subbmitted which would nullify all applications that have already been submitted.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Which bill are we talking about here....? Need to know in order to write something. I don't think it's HB579. All that one does is add retired police to the exemptions list to the video training course. At least when I looked over the third reading of the bill that's all I saw. Need more info.

see below

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    passed by the house, edited by senate judiciary, headed to the floor of the senate today or monday.

Okay I see the third reading in MLIS but I'm not seeing any edits leading to anything new?????? Not trying to be a PITA here, just trying to see what's going on.

ETA the amendments are not in MLIS yet apparently but ARE in the real bill, and they are bad.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Done.

I really like Sen. Jacobs. She is like the only person who ever sends me an email back (well, her staffers anyway).

I received 16 replies within minutes of sending mine - three from staffers, one from the Senator, the remaining were auto-replies.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    See this attachment, posted to the boards by Jake12 in the CCW training thread - http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55723&d=1333727251 (the HB with the JPC amendments).

That's existing law. It's the one that requires you to watch the dumb video when buying your first regulated firearm. The only addition is it adds retired police to the list of exemptions of people who have to view it, along with DD214 holders, current police, etc. While it would be nice to see that whole section of the law gone, I'm not seeing much of anything new here.

When you read these bills the changes to current law are denoted with bold type, and deletions or amendments are show with strike out lines over the old text.

ETA okay I'm stupid, sorry, I see them now. At this time they're not in the MLIS system and that's where I was looking. They are on the pdf copies we have here however.

They usually show the amendments in the text of the proposed bill to my experience, this time they placed them below and you have to scroll down to see them. Yes, this is bad what they are doing with this bill.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    That's existing law. The only addition is it adds retired police to the list of exemptions. While it would be nice to see that whole section of the law gone, I'm not seeing much new here.

When you read these bills the changes to current law are denoted with bold type, and deletions or amendments are show with strike out lines over the old text.

I know how to read them. Look at page 6 of the PDF, which adds an open-ended training requirement, with no definitions, to the permit section of current law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom