Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:08 AM #1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj45 View Post
Well I can say that it's not sitting in a pile somewhere collecting dust. My employer and references were interviewed via phone yesterday, which was 11 business days after MSP received my application. I haven't received a call yet but can only assume that is coming up next. Questions asked were about violence, alcohol, and if they had a problem with me having a hand gun permit. This appears to be moving along pretty well. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.
I got my call on Apr. 20. I've heard nothing since. They say it can take up to 3 months. I'll be waiting. Shemp
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM #1002

Quote:
Mailed my app on Monday April 22, received by MSP on Wednesday the 24th and check cashed on Friday the 26th. Looks like things are moving along and they at least opened my envelope and just didn't through it in a pile somewhere. Maybe they opened to cash check and now its in a pile somewhere.
I received a call today (May 13th) from the investigator conducting my background investigation and he spent a total of about 10 min asking me questions. The first part was verifying my personal info, second part was criminal history, drug use, alcohol consumption, firearms training, what firearm I was planning to carry and why I wanted a permit and why am I applying now. After all of that he asked to speak with my wife who was asked 3 questions. 1. Was she aware that I applied? 2. Did she have an issue with it? 3. Has there been any domestic violence in the house? The investigator told me they hired a new unit to handle all of the applications to include the backlog of apps that were old as well as new. He told me I should here something within the next 60 days. This appears to be moving along pretty fast. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.
Mj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:24 PM #1003

Quote:
I received a call today (May 13th) from the investigator conducting my background investigation and he spent a total of about 10 min asking me questions. The first part was verifying my personal info, second part was criminal history, drug use, alcohol consumption, firearms training, what firearm I was planning to carry and why I wanted a permit and why am I applying now. After all of that he asked to speak with my wife who was asked 3 questions. 1. Was she aware that I applied? 2. Did she have an issue with it? 3. Has there been any domestic violence in the house? The investigator told me they hired a new unit to handle all of the applications to include the backlog of apps that were old as well as new. He told me I should here something within the next 60 days. This appears to be moving along pretty fast. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.

That would put you just shy of 90 days...kinda ridiculous if you ask me

Kinda stupid to ask about domestic violence, you already have a gun lol.
jpo183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:21 AM #1004

Quote:
Well I can say that it's not sitting in a pile somewhere collecting dust. My employer and references were interviewed via phone yesterday, which was 11 business days after MSP received my application. I haven't received a call yet but can only assume that is coming up next. Questions asked were about violence, alcohol, and if they had a problem with me having a hand gun permit. This appears to be moving along pretty well. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.
The questions are all typical. Do you have G&S?. I'm very surprised to hear the investigation interview was conducted over the phone. I say that because it sounds like you do, or you feel you do have G&S and the few people that reported they got the phone interview did not get the permit.

MSI Member
SAF Member
NRA Member
Maryland Designated Collector
MD CCW
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM #1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The questions are all typical. Do you have G&S?. I'm very surprised to hear the investigation interview was conducted over the phone. I say that because it sounds like you do, or you feel you do have G&S and the few people that reported they got the phone interview did not get the permit.
They are always going to be typical as the investigator basically said he had a script of questions he had to ask. He told me that the investigators prefer to conduct the phone interviews to help speed up the process of getting through the backlog of apps they have. I would assume they are probably under a deadline or have a quota they have to meet and waiting for a face to face interview for 10 minutes worth of questions would only hold up their processing time.
Mj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM #1006
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpo183 View Post
That would put you just shy of 90 days...kinda ridiculous if you ask me

Kinda stupid to ask about domestic violence, you already have a gun lol.

We were just talking about this with my brother (lives in NC) over the weekend. My wife was interviewed, they asked her if she would be worried about having guns in the house or with me being allowed to carry.

She literally laughed out loud (politely). We've owned guns (not one or two) since I was 13 years old, handguns since 21. They KNOW I own several firearms. If there was any issue wit violence or any fear of guns or them possibly being used against her, I think they would have known it within the past 19 years.

Effin dumb.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM #1007

Quote:
They are always going to be typical as the investigator basically said he had a script of questions he had to ask. He told me that the investigators prefer to conduct the phone interviews to help speed up the process of getting through the backlog of apps they have. I would assume they are probably under a deadline or have a quota they have to meet and waiting for a face to face interview for 10 minutes worth of questions would only hold up their processing time.
Well sure they want to get the apps off their desk. But I think the phone interviews are only being used on the apps the MSP do not expect to be approved due to lack of G&S. So they use the phone interview to burn through apps lacking G&S.

I could be very wrong but I do not know of one person that was approved and got the phone interview. If anyone here did get their permit and they got the phone interview please let us know.

MSI Member
SAF Member
NRA Member
Maryland Designated Collector
MD CCW
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:30 PM #1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Well sure they want to get the apps off their desk. But I think the phone interviews are only being used on the apps the MSP do not expect to be approved due to lack of G&S. So they use the phone interview to burn through apps lacking G&S.

I could be very wrong but I do not know of one person that was approved and got the phone interview. If anyone here did get their permit and they got the phone interview please let us know.
If they make you go in for a face to face, where do you have to go. That in of itself is a friken PITA and should be tossed out as unconsititional.

"Hey you want to carry, take off work, lose a days pay and come talk to us, then we will think about giving you one..."
jpo183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM #1009
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpo183 View Post
If they make you go in for a face to face, where do you have to go. That in of itself is a friken PITA and should be tossed out as unconsititional.

"Hey you want to carry, take off work, lose a days pay and come talk to us, then we will think about giving you one..."
SOP.

I thought everyone had to go in for a FTF.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM #1010
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJDiesel View Post
SOP.

I thought everyone had to go in for a FTF.
Fail To Fire? Wtf? Jk. Pls continue...
bigangrysob is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues