• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    So, sometimes, while camping and "blue line" trout fishing in near-alpine environments, one might happen upon various dangerous critters. In Colorado, they generally range from black bear, cougar, potentially wolves etc.

My .357 Highway Patrol is beautiful and accurate, but is heavy at 41 ounces. The cartridge might be about right though with 158 grain hard slugs.

What are other good choices in this caliber? I've seen the SP101 at 27 ounces and would be willing to take the recoil hit when carried in such duty. Any other recommendations? Not too interested in bigger calibers or hunting with the pistol. The gun needs to be light enough to carry all day.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I was just hunting in Colorado at the end of August. My partner had a tiny Kimber 357 revolver in a chest holster. It seemed like a great setup that stayed out of the way yet readily accessible. I think the model was the K6s.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Used to fish just outside the boundary of Yellowstone, on the north side. 12 gauge, unfortunately. Unless it’s a perfect shot, anything else will just piss off a grizzly.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    There are black bear in Colorado but no grizzlies. The moose are probably the biggest threat to people in Colorado.

When I am in the woods I carry a 45 acp with these rounds from Buffalo Bore:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=381

45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN
    255 gr. Hard Cast FN (925 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.)
    50 Round Box

ITEM 45-255

The three JHP loads are designed for defense against humans, while the two non-expanding loads are designed to shoot through large shoulder bones or the skull on a black bear. These non-expanding bullets also work well if you need to shoot through cover like car doors or stick frame walls.

If I'm hiking my XDs is lightweight and easy to carry. I use a Hill People Gear kit bag to carry in because it doesn't interfere with a backpack. If I'm camping I carry my Glock 21 in a retention holster. Remember that in Colorado if you aren't a prohibited person and aren't in Denver city limits you can open carry, though the police in Boulder county might hassle you a bit.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    We saw a few moose in the Flat Tops a few weeks ago. Could have killed two moose between the three of us but of course we only had elk tags and got skunked.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just my $0.02, but I would not carry a .357 or 9mm for bear protection. Not enough penetration to do you any good. My bear side-arm is a .44 mag. with hard-cast hammer-head bullets... and I still wouldn't want to actually have to use it against a bear. I like the odds stacked in my favor.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    Smith model 329 pd. Stoked with .44 special you will have a reasonably controllable, very capable, light weight powerhouse. Pricey, though!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    We saw a few moose in the Flat Tops a few weeks ago. Could have killed two moose between the three of us but of course we only had elk tags and got skunked.

I hope they open up moose season soon. It seems like the moose population has exploded recently. Right now the moose bag limit is 1/lifetime.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I’m going out to Mt Zerkel Wilderness and Routt NF in June for a backpacking/elk scouting trip. Will be bringing my 9mm b/c that’s what I got!

That's fine. I have a friend who has backpacked 1000's of miles in the Rockies and he says he has never seen a bear in the woods. He's seen a lot of bears in dumpsters in town, but not a single one in the woods. I've been here 3 years now, hiking, camping, hunting, off-roading and I haven't seen one in Colorado.

The noise from any gun will most likely scare a bear away since they are hunted here.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've seen the SP101 at 27 ounces and would be willing to take the recoil hit when carried in such duty. Any other recommendations? Not too interested in bigger calibers or hunting with the pistol. The gun needs to be light enough to carry all day.

I shot a friends SP101 and the recoil is nothing. Don't worry if you get one there won't be a recoil hit. If you are using it to repel a bear attack you'll be so scared you more than likely won't even remember shooting it.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I hope they open up moose season soon. It seems like the moose population has exploded recently. Right now the moose bag limit is 1/lifetime.

You could tell these had never been hunted. Totally unafraid. We had a cow with calf in our camp and even she didn't seems to care. We didn't know they were in that area so we were surprised to see them.

Years past, hunting the south part of the state, I carried my g21 but I didn't carry anything this year. I'd also like to find a lighter option.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    When I hunted and fished out west I carried a taurus 44 spl revolver.
    I knew a couple guides who did pack in hunts and they carried the same. Take it for what it's worth but I was comfortable with that choice to go anywhere.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    That's fine. I have a friend who has backpacked 1000's of miles in the Rockies and he says he has never seen a bear in the woods. He's seen a lot of bears in dumpsters in town, but not a single one in the woods.

I've seen black bear(s) up close while backpacking in Colorado, Wyoming and California. We have historically gotten pretty far in the back country though. I've never had one behave aggressively, but you never know when you smell like you've been fishing.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    OK maybe a little bit. The friend who's gun I shot is a petite little 115lb woman and she has no problem shooting it. Unless you have a physical disability recoil shouldn't be an issue

.357 mag in a light weight small grip SP101 feels pretty close to shooting 300 grain hardcast out of a big grip, heavy .454 SRH Alaskan to me

Plop in some 38 specials and it's like a cap gun.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    OK maybe a little bit. The friend who's gun I shot is a petite little 115lb woman and she has no problem shooting it. Unless you have a physical disability recoil shouldn't be an issue

Agreed. I'm a recoil junkie myself, so I don't mind it in the slightest. Also, as others have mentioned, if you find yourself needing to use it against a predator (two or four legged variety), recoil will be your last concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom