• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RookieGoons

Nov 10, 2018
    Harford County, MD
    Hello all,

I have a cap and ball Remington New Army, and was considering getting a
    cartridge conversion to .45 colt. I have been reading Maryland's regulations
    regarding handguns, and I know that I don't need an FFL to own this gun.
    However, I am concerned that once this conversion cylinder is installed, I will
    need to register this gun with the Maryland State Police. Do I have to register this 'homemade' handgun, are there any other legal obstacles I have to jump over, or are there no laws regarding registration?

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    You must send the completed conversion to me for approval... Please advise when you have completed the conversion...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Hello RookieG.

Why don't you go to the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

Then get involved on a few other threads, maybe tell us about your cap and ball shooting or whatnot. Let people get a feel for who you are.

People aren't necessarily unfriendly, but many here are a bit wary of new people who immediately start asking questions about sensitive aspects of gun laws.

The legislative session is coming up, and the Dems are talking about going full retard on the anti gun agenda. This is the time of year that strange people show up asking odd questions, researching ideas for anti-gun legislation. Because of that, many here are a bit suspicious.

So, why not introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your shooting interests. Glock or 1911? AR or AK?

Cream of Wheat or Corn Meal? Pyrodex or Holy Black?

RookieGoons

Nov 10, 2018
    Harford County, MD
    Hey Threeband,

Yeah I probably should've made an introduction. I'm on that now.
    Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know people went sniffing for political ammunition on gun forums.

I've been shooting for a while now, and even though I only own a cap and ball, I go out shooting with some friends, who own a M1 carbine, AR15, G98, Mosins, SKS, and some others i'm probably forgetting.

Oh and I currently have APP, since I got it for half the price of any other powder at the time. Once I'm out, its on to triple7

RookieGoons

Nov 10, 2018
    Harford County, MD
    Hello John,

Its a Pietta .44 Remington, converted to .45LC. I know the whole deal about cowboy ammunition only, I'm just curious about the legal side of these conversions in a deep blue state like Maryland.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    i was advised to sell mine without conversion cylinder, sell cylinder eleswhere. isold it to a gun shop. i used 45 lc cowboy loads, mine was the ruger old army

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hello John,

Its a Pietta .44 Remington, converted to .45LC. I know the whole deal about cowboy ammunition only, I'm just curious about the legal side of these conversions in a deep blue state like Maryland.

Good choice on the Pietta .44 Remington. If it's the 1858 or "New Army" you're good to go with a 45 conversion. You can tell the 1858 by the "top strap" of metal running over the top of the cylinder. If the body of your pistol is brass, I would advise against getting a conversion. 45 Colt is a good conversion to get, but be sure to use "cowboy loads;" they're pretty readily available. And lead bullets only; no copper.

As far as the conversion cylinder, you can possess it without any state police paper, just like the 1858 itself. It becomes a magical EVIL "firearm" only when the conversion is installed. The solution: Only install the conversion at home or where you are shooting; transport the two separately. Voila - no permission from the Crown needed.

That's my take; by all means correct any errors, folks.

Update: Definitely check out the Black Poder forum here. We have a lot of charcoal burners among our number.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Maryland doesn’t have registration per se - de facto registration at the time of transfer when MSP runs the application. So if a gun is acquired legally without an app it would not be “registered” - and you aren’t going to transfer it to yourself. Just like if you manufacture your own pistol (eg Polymer 80), it is not registered and completely legal.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    All this being said...I would not waste my money on one of those gimcrack cylinders. A straight percussion revolver works just fine.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Unless someone can prove otherwise... AIUI...

Adding a conversion cylinder to a BP revolver... converts that revolver from the status of antique weapon to a modern firearm. And therefore causes it to come under ALL modern firearm rules, laws, and restrictions for the purpose of carry, sale, and possession.

TDNTO and Govern yourselves accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom