• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have lots of rule of thumb trajectories in my head , but I now have an atypical situation that stumps me . low mounted iron sight .223 . Not AR type iron sights , but bbl mounted , nominal .75 inch above bore center line .

Could someone with handy ballistics program give me some basic starting point for typical 55gr , 3100-ish fps , emphasis for 0 to 200 ?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Not sure why trajectory would be affected by sight height. If you are looking for an idea on what distance to zero the rifle for the flattest trajectory, I would suggest the Army's 50/200 yard zero. The bullet will be less than 2" from the line of sight out to 250 yards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Apparent trajectory is highly dependent upon sight height .

In the case above ( using rise & fall in the common usage sense, from line of sights ) The bullet rises aprox 3.5 inches between muzzle and 50yds . For the rifle of which I'm seeking that would translate to aprox 3in high @ 50 , a midrange of aprox 6in , and back to line of sight @ 250 plus .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hope this helps. Screenshot_20181103-211923.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks DA

( Simplified, and rounded off ) Looks like just a hair low @ 50 > just a hair high @ 100 = essentially negligible offset out to as far as I'd normally use this with open ( actual open , not peep ) sights . And I'm confident with irons, and picky about deflections .

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Not sure why trajectory would be affected by sight height. If you are looking for an idea on what distance to zero the rifle for the flattest trajectory, I would suggest the Army's 50/200 yard zero. The bullet will be less than 2" from the line of sight out to 250 yards.

Yep, 50/200 would work great for Biggfoot's needs. Below is approximate for M193:

Attachments

• M193.png
      M193.png
      25.9 KB · Views: 187

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And Thanks to G 'n R for the timely assistance also , and appreciate the 25yd increments also . This is bringing home to me my need for a replacement for my long missing in action Sierra Infinity disc . But I've been complacent with my pre existing default preferences, and the commonly available charts for usual cals, with usual sighting applications .

( Biggfoot's default recomendations :

Non magnum PCC , black power & performance equivalent ctgs, shotgun slugs , etc - 1.5in high .

High and high-ish vel rifle , with scope mounting conventional height - 1.5in high @ 100 .

AR ( and similar straight buttstock designs) in 5.56 & similar zero @ 50 . )

Annnnnd , it turned out to have similarities to the millitary type 50/ 200 for high sight lines , but it wasn't an automatic no- brainer , as they were derived ( by me) from different starting points, with different parameters .

And I'm sure many of y'all are shaking your heads over the idea of bbl mounted irons for .223 .

But I always test things in the configuration that I initially recieve . Occasionally they will be accurate far beyond expectations , and best to leave alone .

Sometimes I enjoy out of the norm combinations for fun and self education .

I knew someone whose only firearms was an iron sight only BLR in .22-250 . Compared to him , my latest rifle set up makes me seem half way normal .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks DA

( Simplified, and rounded off ) Looks like just a hair low @ 50 > just a hair high @ 100 = essentially negligible offset out to as far as I'd normally use this with open ( actual open , not peep ) sights . And I'm confident with irons, and picky about deflections .

Quite welcome, my friend. Just happened to be here at the right place, at the right time, with a ballistic calculator. :D

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I think it is best to try your rifle and ammo at the distances you want to know the POI.

The original 25 meter zero target for the M16A1 has the bullet impact 1 inch below the sights. This was to be a 250 yard zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom