• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    If you actually want to be in chambers for oral argument, I would get there much earlier than zero-dark-30, less than 50 people will get in. Day before maybe. There are paid line holders.

Yup. Also, many of these "line holders" have pillows/sleeping bag/chairs and a partner to hold the spot while they need to use a restroom or grab breakfast. Around 7am a car pulls up to the sidewalk, the overnight line holders haul their stuff to the vehicle and hop in, 2 fresh bodies take over that spot in line...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What's interesting here is no one is even defending the now changed law.

I think that question #1 when mootness comes up will be to NYC, something like "do you concede the law is unconstitutional."

NYC is in a pickle because they changed the law but did not enter into a settlement or concede unconstitutionality.

Of course, NYSRPA is also in a pickle because they did not demand damages explicitly.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Cam Edwards at BearingArms.com weighed in today with an excellent podcast discussing this case. Click here to watch the podcast video:

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/11/26/everything-need-know-scotuss-next-gun-case/#discussion

Stoveman hanging with invited speaker Cam Edwards this month at the National 2A Rally at the US Capitol West Lawn on 11/2 (second pic).

Grabbed a shot of MDS’s own Wolfwood checking in with Cam too (third pic).

Cam and a friend posed for a pic looking west from the Rally backstage area (fourth pic).

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• D49547B2-702E-4B54-95CF-5C388119F3B4.jpg
      D49547B2-702E-4B54-95CF-5C388119F3B4.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 437
    • AB53D657-6514-4931-BCB4-7E80A54E7F78.jpg
      AB53D657-6514-4931-BCB4-7E80A54E7F78.jpg
      103 KB · Views: 479
    • FA4A5134-1B1D-4408-BA61-DF1F94F90147.jpg
      FA4A5134-1B1D-4408-BA61-DF1F94F90147.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 451
    • 5B6F73E6-63E8-4F41-9CA0-0D20CB550C72.jpg
      5B6F73E6-63E8-4F41-9CA0-0D20CB550C72.jpg
      136.7 KB · Views: 467
    • 77AF43DB-DDB0-4781-AED4-B465DE95BCFD.jpg
      77AF43DB-DDB0-4781-AED4-B465DE95BCFD.jpg
      93.3 KB · Views: 482

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Im leaving on the first train from Glenmont Redline down to Union Station then on to SCOTUS. Will have my MDShooters Name tag on and my US Army hat on in Green Cammo so I will be looking around to see who else I see. Of course I know Stoveman and hope to see him their and meet the rest of you as well.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Looked through the thread but didn’t find it in here, looks like NY just went after Alvarez for a misdemeanor which removed his firearm permit. They went to his house and confiscated his firearms and are now claiming this is moot because he now doesn’t have firearms and can’t own one. They are being hush about the charge. Something about he said a handgun was stolen by two people saying they were police? Maybe they were police? Not sure what is going on.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Looked through the thread but didn’t find it in here, looks like NY just went after Alvarez for a misdemeanor which removed his firearm permit. They went to his house and confiscated his firearms and are now claiming this is moot because he now doesn’t have firearms and can’t own one. They are being hush about the charge. Something about he said a handgun was stolen by two people saying they were police? Maybe they were police? Not sure what is going on.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...un-rights-case-to-us-supreme-court/ar-BBXp7rY

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

If the case is found to be not moot, it will probably be because of the potential for awarding damages for past NY actions. His loss of permit has no effect on that.

And, he's not guilty until found guilty, which based on the bargain with the District Attorney, isn't going to happen, so he will be getting the permit back.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Okay, according to the article it happened in August of 2018. So why are they bringing it up now unless trying to put doubt that he has any harm under this case?

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Allen, was reading and typing at the same time you were replying. I wonder how small of a charge NY can take your guns away by revoking a permit to own.

Thinking about that in MD terms, if a minor infraction could be legislated to remove your HQL, would they then confiscate your handguns? In turn, if they were able to pass the long gun license would that be another way to strip your firearm ownership without a conviction and long term sentencing?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Thinking about that in MD terms, if a minor infraction could be legislated to remove your HQL, would they then confiscate your handguns? In turn, if they were able to pass the long gun license would that be another way to strip your firearm ownership without a conviction and long term sentencing?

HQL is needed to purchase, not possess. I'm not sure how a HQL, FOID, et al, could legally be permanently revoked absent an actual conviction.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So if they knock out Alvarez on this BS, what about Colantone, Irizarry, and NYSRPA? Did NYPD suddenly catch each of them in compromising positions on the eve of argument too?

If I were Alvarez, I would take a six month vacation to Florida to wait out that PBJ period, otherwise you know NYPD is going to pop him for jaywalking, littering when a gum wrapper flutters out of his hand, etc, at every chance they get.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    HQL is needed to purchase, not possess. I'm not sure how a HQL, FOID, et al, could legally be permanently revoked absent an actual conviction.

This is what I found on https://newyorkcityguns.com/keeping-your-new-york-city-permits/

“ Keeping your New York City Firearm Permits requires diligence. You are required to know all the things that could get your permit revoked. You are also required to not say anything or do anything that could allow NYPD to question your fitness to possess firearms.”

“ License Revocation Some words of warning… bear in mind that a gun license in NYC is much like a lease. Technically, you do not own your guns. The NYPD does. If, for any reason, the NYPD finds reason to revoke your license (or you let it lapse), they can (and will) take possession of all of your firearms, regardless of the fact that you rightfully paid for them. Getting them back is much more difficult than making sure you do the right thing beforehand. Be smart. Stay abreast of the laws, and follow the regulations.”

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    And under the law

“ 11. License: revocation and suspension. The conviction of a licensee anywhere of a felony or serious offense shall operate as a revocation of the license. A license may be revoked or suspended as provided for in section 530.14 of the criminal procedure law or section eight hundred forty-two-a of the family court act. Except for a license issued pursuant to section 400.01 of this article, a license may be revoked and cancelled at any time in the city of New York, and in the counties of Nassau and Suffolk, by the licensing officer, and elsewhere than in the city of New York by any judge or justice of a court of record; a license issued pursuant to section 400.01 of this article may be revoked and cancelled at any time by the licensing officer or any judge or justice of a court of record. The official revoking a license shall give written notice thereof without unnecessary delay to the executive department, division of state police, Albany, and shall also notify immediately the duly constituted police authorities of the locality.”

So automatically revoked due to a major crime, possible under two other listings, and can just be revoked if the licensing officer decides to revoke with no reason necessary. Really feel for people who have to live under this stuff.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This is what I found on https://newyorkcityguns.com/keeping-your-new-york-city-permits/

“ Keeping your New York City Firearm Permits requires diligence. You are required to know all the things that could get your permit revoked. You are also required to not say anything or do anything that could allow NYPD to question your fitness to possess firearms.”

“ License Revocation Some words of warning… bear in mind that a gun license in NYC is much like a lease. Technically, you do not own your guns. The NYPD does. If, for any reason, the NYPD finds reason to revoke your license (or you let it lapse), they can (and will) take possession of all of your firearms, regardless of the fact that you rightfully paid for them. Getting them back is much more difficult than making sure you do the right thing beforehand. Be smart. Stay abreast of the laws, and follow the regulations.”

Watch what you say, be careful of what you write, and be aware the the concept of private property is subject to re-definition by the Authorities without notice.

Once facial interpretation software is perfected, even your otherwise unexpressed thoughts will be monitored, for your protection and the safety of the State.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

And this fact also makes it difficult for the City to claim mootness. The fact that the NYPD may hold a past transport violation against a premises license holder makes the case not moot.

I read the briefs and the City did not appear to fore-swear punishing past transport violations under the old law, even though the USG said that they might. This is tricky for them, it essentially requires conceding the prior law was unconstitutional.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Anyone in here a paid subscriber to Can Edwards’ podcast linked back in post #924?

I would like to ask Cam if he will promote our pro-2A demonstration at SCOTUS next Monday morning on his social media to alert anyone in MD/VA/DC/DE who is interested in joining us there.

Cam has an email button on his podcast page but evidently he only accepts email from his paid subscribers; his email form opens but my email to him wouldn’t send just now.

I also want to email Cam all the pics I took of him at the 11/2/19 National 2A Rally.

PM me if you can help me to get an email message through to him.

Cam is going to discuss the SCOTUS case again on Monday; Stoveman will be available to report live from the Supreme Court steps for Cam’s podcast, and we want to offer that.

Also, if anyone here is on Facebook and can share the Patriot Picket Event page and/or our PP website page with info about our pro-Second Amendment demonstration at SCOTUS next Monday morning we would be much obliged:

https://m.facebook.com/events/843920036063164?acontext={"ref":"3","action_history":"null"}&aref=3

https://patriotpicket.org/f/patriot-picket-at-the-us-supreme-court-december-2nd

Many thanks!

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom