Anybody have experience applying wood dye to stocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Haven't seen any postings about using wood dye on stocks or furniture.Or I didn't use the correct verbiage in the search function. I have seen pics on one of the M14 forums that were astounding. To the point I'd be afraid to touch the finished product. So to that end, has anybody local used wood dye and if so any pics to show results? Which dyes and how was it applied? Any surplus dye available before I order some online(cheap but hate to waste consummables) and have shipped? I picked up a few stocks to practice on but pretty sure they are Walnut and less likely to take dye as opposed to stain. Looking for motivation before I commit to working on one or both of my never issued Birch M14 Big Red or E2 stocks. I'm a visual type person post pics if you've got em and maybe one of my long term projects will get moving. I know that final results will depend on the grain of the wood,prep and mixture of solvents and dyes and what patience and skills I may have. Looking to jump start a long over due and stalled project so hoping this gets a few replies. So this is both an informational as well as motivational post.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I would suggest practicing on something before attempting to stain a stock.

If you are trying to match and already finished stock for a repair, select a crayon that matches the area and melt a small amount into the damaged area. No real damage can be done and it is easily removed if desired.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I am interested in your project. Can you provide the link to the images of the stocks treated with "wood dye"? Also, what is the product available online? (dye as opposed to stain?)

For a build project I just purchased online a "used Remington 40X" walnut stock that, upon arrival, is a beat-up, scratched, dark horrible looking piece of wood (it was cheap). I will be sanding and refinishing it, but would like to do something different.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've used Fiebing's Leather Dye on several stocks. It's an alcohol based dye, so it can be cut with alcohol. Easy to work with, but do wear gloves.

I used three different shades, Medium Brown and two others, a reddish shade, and Mahogany? It was a while ago.

No need to be scared. Just get some from Tandy Leather and mess around with it. If you're unsure about ruining a stock, just test it on your dining room table.

I use Pure Tung Oil for a finish, though I've also used BLO.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    137AE3CE-CE02-417E-8706-37277F918059.jpg

There is a guy on eBay, who sells these in an assortment of colors. I’ve been wondering how he does it.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I've used stain on walnut before with acceptable/good results. Even some of the Asian variety replacement M1 wood that seems to have been formed with a dull spoon. I've done a couple of those in stain and BLO. Chu or choo wood maybe depending upon how its spelled. Cherry stain diluted a bit seems to work good with those seems to come out a dull cherry brown for lack of a better term looking like walnut. With the stocks I have that may be used being birch I'm lead to believe that dye may offer a bit more variety in color than stain. I'd be all about practicing on expendable stocks except for the fact that birch and walnut as I've gathered accept finishes differently. Birch as I have been told can take on a spotty type finish similar to beech wood if not done correctly. I'm guessing whether oil or water based and the grain of the stock stripped bare contributes to that. I've seen some grey leaning towards green and opposite side of the spectrum red orange with dye type tinting. I guess what I'm looking for is almost before and after pics.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I've used Fiebing's Leather Dye on several stocks. It's an alcohol based dye, so it can be cut with alcohol. Easy to work with, but do wear gloves.

I used three different shades, Medium Brown and two others, a reddish shade, and Mahogany? It was a while ago.

No need to be scared. Just get some from Tandy Leather and mess around with it. If you're unsure about ruining a stock, just test it on your dining room table.

I use Pure Tung Oil for a finish, though I've also used BLO.

My wife would literally sacrifice me on top of my skillfully old school Amish built table if I were to take your advice. I tread on thin nice as it is. That fear is real and evident I would die. Stain my hands or any other body part she wouldn't blink an eye. Defile the table or dishwasher to refinish a stock it would be like opening the seven gates of hell.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    View attachment 274203

There is a guy on eBay, who sells these in an assortment of colors. I’ve been wondering how he does it.

This effect is from staining several thin sheets and laminating them together, then cutting/routing out the stock from the laminated block. Look into Boyds to see other options that can be made this way. Note that the laminated stock will be heavier than an equally sized single piece of wood.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    This effect is from staining several thin sheets and laminating them together, then cutting/routing out the stock from the laminated block. Look into Boyds to see other options that can be made this way. Note that the laminated stock will be heavier than an equally sized single piece of wood.

I kind of figured, but he has some almost fluorescent greens, purples, oranges.
    I have never seen wood stain in those kinds of colors. I’ve never heard of wood “dye” until today.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My wife would literally sacrifice me on top of my skillfully old school Amish built table if I were to take your advice. I tread on thin nice as it is. That fear is real and evident I would die. Stain my hands or any other body part she wouldn't blink an eye. Defile the table or dishwasher to refinish a stock it would be like opening the seven gates of hell.

Oh c'mon... live a little.

Gen. 3:4

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I’ve just recently dyed a curly maple flintlock stock. I purchased my dyes from a woodcraft in Rockville. I found solar-lux very easy to work with.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I've used stain on walnut before with acceptable/good results. Even some of the Asian variety replacement M1 wood that seems to have been formed with a dull spoon. I've done a couple of those in stain and BLO. Chu or choo wood maybe depending upon how its spelled. Cherry stain diluted a bit seems to work good with those seems to come out a dull cherry brown for lack of a better term looking like walnut. With the stocks I have that may be used being birch I'm lead to believe that dye may offer a bit more variety in color than stain. I'd be all about practicing on expendable stocks except for the fact that birch and walnut as I've gathered accept finishes differently. Birch as I have been told can take on a spotty type finish similar to beech wood if not done correctly. I'm guessing whether oil or water based and the grain of the stock stripped bare contributes to that. I've seen some grey leaning towards green and opposite side of the spectrum red orange with dye type tinting. I guess what I'm looking for is almost before and after pics.

I use oil based stain on walnut wood if it needs it. Beech and birch just like you described are hard to pigment and alcohol stain works best to get them darker.
    I colored a Boyd's repo m17 stock this afternoon. Its walnut but I colored it with min wax oil based stain to match the hand guards I have on hand. Red oak is the color. The hand guards are walnut and dark. If they were birch I never could have darkened them to match with out an alcohol based stain and even then they would have still been very lightly colored.

Soon I'm going to refit a Mk II Enfield stock to N04 and will be most likely coloring it so I can put up before and after pictures but its going to be a little while yet. Rear Hg is grooved walnut and dark but the front is beech and tightly grained so it will be hard to match.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Oh c'mon... live a little.

Gen. 3:4

Plan to. Live a little..slightly longer than today or tomorrow. Not planning long term because genetics and life choices stack the odds against me. Not really looking to accelerate my demise. Looking to find small, productive projects that wont shorten my life span.Not saying that I wont meet my maker due to lack of good judgement but if I experiment with the furniture that will be my end. And while I've both paid for the furniture and paying for her education I fear she knows enough to make my death look as if it were from natural causes. We get along just fine as long as long as I just modify my own body, guns or cars. She has no vested interest in those things. Dining room table she probably plans on keeping if she leaves me{27 years in} or I die. So I say this as both jokey jokey haha and also semi serious at the same time. I literally could stain one side of my face sunburst orange and she probably wouldn't question it. Chemicals,sandpaper or tools on the table would just pluck that last resilient steely nerve Ive been working at for the last few years.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Several excellent threads on staining stocks over on CMP Forums.

With some stains, if you don't like it, it can be mostly removed.

As for final finish, I use linseed oil, both Boiled (BLO) and raw (RLO), depending for military stocks. Garands get BLO. Carbines get RLO, as per the original.

You can also use Tung Oil, but NOT the furniture stuff, which is a varnish with some tung oil in it.

I did a Fajen semi finished stock for a 10/22 and did the finish with Arrow wood finish, and was very happy with the results. I can post pics later.

https://www.arrowwoodfinish.com/

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have some, pic when I get to the shop. I use water based stains now, quick drying and can apply poly almost immediately, good for what I do. I have one project to finish in oil based stain and two in water based stain this week.

Walnut gives a lot of depth naturally and the dyes accentuate this. Couple pics, Walnut table with Mahogany inlay border, Test board has maple, mahogany then teak, No stains used.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
      IMG_2197.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 245
    • IMG_2200.jpg
      IMG_2200.jpg
      158.7 KB · Views: 245
    • IMG_2129.jpg
      IMG_2129.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 268

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Wood dyes are more translucent than stain and generally better suited for dense and figured wood. Wood stains sit on top of the wood and wood dye penetrates it more and colors from within while allowing the grain to show through. When doing something like trying to blend in a Dutchman repair to the surrounding aged wood in a piece of antique furniture (or stock) this can be quite helpful.

Wood dyes alone do not protect the wood like many stains do but dye pigment powder can be added to other products like shellac or varnish to offer color and protection. Wood dyes and wood stains are also often used in combination to achieve a desired color.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom