• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    ok guys i think im becoming a whore for 45. Whats you must have 45. I have a RIA Tactical so 1911 is covered for now. Im consider a fnp45 usg (although I hear the grip is huge), Xdm 45, and a glock 21 sf. but is there anything im missing or shoud consider? thanks in advance

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The SIG is low capacity so I wouldnt pick a .45 SIG since yu have a 1911.

The XD45 is nice, but I dont like them. I think they are hideously ugly and Ive seen to many XD's for problems, thus I dont trust them overall. Perhaps the new XDM45 will improve the platform.

Out of Full Size Hi-Cap .45's that are not 1911 based and are established that leaves the G21, G21 SF, HK USP, HK USP Tactical, HK MK23 SOCOM, FNP45, and FNP 45 USG Tactical

Best bang for the buck is the FNP 45 Tactical. The gun is amazing!

Most accurate and reliable will be the MK23, next most accurate and reliable will be the USP Tactical.

The Glock is a workhorse but no where near as accurate as the HK variants.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    chad, how are the m&p 45's? they're very comfortable to me and i've had very good experience with the m&p 9's in the past(alucard's compact and pro). I'm also wondering about how the hk45's(the finger-moulded ones that feel like a perfect glove in your hand) stand up to the fnp-45's. the hk45 was the most comfortable 45 i've ever held, but the fnp-45 is so solid for the money. i'm just wondering about the functionality and if either has a design weak point that would put one over top of the other. thanks brothaman! ure input is always looked forward to.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Chad, what do you think of the glock after market barrels? do they make them more accurate? thinking of getting in to reloading in the near future, and heard the glock stock barrels are hard on the brass.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    chad, how are the m&p 45's? they're very comfortable to me and i've had very good experience with the m&p 9's in the past(alucard's compact and pro). I'm also wondering about how the hk45's(the finger-moulded ones that feel like a perfect glove in your hand) stand up to the fnp-45's. the hk45 was the most comfortable 45 i've ever held, but the fnp-45 is so solid for the money. i'm just wondering about the functionality and if either has a design weak point that would put one over top of the other. thanks brothaman! ure input is always looked forward to.

The XD's were very sensitive to lubrication, and were failing when dirty for the ones I saw. Some had feeding and extraction issues. I either sent them back or tuned they based on the customers request. The parts had accelerated wear on the Fire Control Assemblies too in the problem guns. It may be soft metal in the parts, or poor lube. Eithe way they shouldnt have failed so soon or be so sensitive to lube.

I think the FN's compare VERY close to what HK offers in accuracy. Reliabiulity isnt there for me yet since they are a somewhat new design and not as proven, but I REALLY like the FN's. There are a few handguns ill NEVER sell. My HK USP Tactical, 5.7, P99, FNP 45 Tactical.

I think the new HK's are nice and much more ergonomic but the HK45 looses capacity yo make it more "ergo" I like hi capacity .45's and the 10 rond HK is not for me. The FN 15 round capacity is a real sell for me. 10 rounds is a no go for me.

Thanks for the kind words my friend, and Im always happy to discuss my experiences to help people make informed buys and/or work/modifications.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, what do you think of the glock after market barrels? do they make them more accurate? thinking of getting in to reloading in the near future, and heard the glock stock barrels are hard on the brass.

They are usually more accurate. The Jarvis and Barsto really improve accuracy. The cut rifled barrels allow the user to shoot lead too.

There are cheaper models of barrels that will work too but wont be as accurate or finished as nicely.

Your reliability will suffer with an aftermarket barrel though, when you tighten up tolerances something has to give. I can tune a Match Glock barrel and improve the reliability but its still no where near what a lose Glock barrel can offer in reliability under harsh conditions.

Fitting a new barrel wont make the original barrel not work so for defense yu can use the factory barrel and for paper punching tou can use you aftermarket match barrel.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Out of Full Size Hi-Cap .45's that are not 1911 based and are established that leaves the G21, G21 SF, HK USP, HK USP Tactical, HK MK23 SOCOM, FNP45, and FNP 45 USG Tactical

Most accurate and reliable will be the MK23, next most accurate and reliable will be the USP Tactical.

The Glock is a workhorse but no where near as accurate as the HK variants.

Ditto on the USP Tactical. I have one I bought almost 10 years back. It shoots even better with the suppressor. Go figure...

I'd love to have a Mark 23 though...that would be my Nirvana.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ditto on the USP Tactical. I have one I bought almost 10 years back. It shoots even better with the suppressor. Go figure...

I'd love to have a Mark 23 though...that would be my Nirvana.

I really want a MK23. Ive shot them and serviced them a good bit, and the prices are really coming down on them too.

Its a sexy handgun, that shoots like a laser.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Get another 1911 and a FNP Tac.

Clandestine will agree that the 1911's are the best thing since biscuits and mustard came to the scene and the FNP-45 tac is sexier than Rossie O'Donnell in a pink thong.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Get another 1911 and a FNP Tac.

Clandestine will agree that the 1911's are the best thing since biscuits and mustard came to the scene and the FNP-45 tac is sexier than Rossie O'Donnell in a pink thong.

Ill just leave this here:

1911.jpg

:D

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why not a .45 revolver? Ruger makes a .45LC/.45ACP convertible single action and I think S&W still makes a DA/SA N frame .45ACP gun. I also seem to remember that there is a 'smith who converts Ruger .45LC Redhawk's to handle .45ACP.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Chad, whats involved with with fitting an aftermarket glock barrel. and right now its really between the fnp45 usg and the glock 21 sf. dont really like the why the xdm looks so if im gonna go ugly im gonna go glock

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, whats involved with with fitting an aftermarket glock barrel. and right now its really between the fnp45 usg and the glock 21 sf. dont really like the why the xdm looks so if im gonna go ugly im gonna go glock

Most of the cheaper ones drop in with no fitting needed, but to make them work usually the chamber, ramp, throat, and hood need to be stoned and polished.

For the Barsto type they come oversized if you want the most accuracy. The hood needs fitting and sometimes the lower locking area does too, then my other work listed above to add a margin of reliability.

Be warned though Barsto and Jarvis sometimes take a LONG time to ship a barrel, sometimes as long as 9 months depending onthe make/model and how often they do a runf ro the one your looking at. But they make great barrels.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Most of the cheaper ones drop in with no fitting needed, but to make them work usually the chamber, ramp, throat, and hood need to be stoned and polished.

For the Barsto type they come oversized if you want the most accuracy. The hood needs fitting and sometimes the lower locking area does too, then my other work listed above to add a margin of reliability.

Be warned though Barsto and Jarvis sometimes take a LONG time to ship a barrel, sometimes as long as 9 months depending onthe make/model and how often they do a runf ro the one your looking at. But they make great barrels.

I know your not at Scotts anymore, you do work on the side? If i get a glock id like you to fit an aftermaket barrel for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom