• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    All right guys, I have a Saiga 7.62x39 that im planning on doing a conversion on. Im slowly getting my parts as funds allow and in the next few weeks Ill be doing a pistol grip converson. My real question is, those of you that have these did you add the bullet guide to use standard Ak mags. Is it hard to do(doesnt look to be), and is it worth it. Obviously Ak mags are cheaper, but is the guide all i have to do, or do i have to modify anything else as well. Thanks in advance!

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    On mine, I just installed the bullet guide. Not hard at all, just be careful drilling and taping, or you can rivet it in... I think the Dinzag kit is nice since it comes with everything, but you could go cheap and use a bit of pipe...

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    did you have to do anything else to get the ak mags to fit, or did you just do the guide and everything worked good.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Usually the mag release will also need to be dremmel'd down a little to accept standard AK mags. Go slow, it's easy to take too much metal off, and keep checking for fit with as many different milsurp mags as you have; some are thicker than others.

The feed lip is simple to install, but don't rush the threading process. Use red Locktite on the screw.

The PG and new US-compliant trigger components are easy to install, and worth doing. Getting the factory rivets out is the only tough part.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    thanks for the help guys, gonna go ahead and order the feed ramp from dinzag

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Make sure to check your chamber type- the Saiga's can have flat or round. I'd also use a hand file on the mag catch. You BARELY remove any metal (at least on mine). A dremel can remove too much in the blink of an eye.
    Have fun and make sure to post pics!!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The 2nd one i did required a tiny bit of filing on the mag catch, and no bullet guide at all.

I think its a rifle by rifle thing.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Be sure the screw in type bullet guide has a screw that sits flusg or is rounded. If it sticks up your bolt will get jammed forward, and wont open without a vise and a big hammer.

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    I just tig welded a 3/32" rod on he front of my surplus mags. Works just as well, never had any feed issues with any type of ammo. I read about the mod on the saiga forum.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Make sure to check your chamber type- the Saiga's can have flat or round. I'd also use a hand file on the mag catch. You BARELY remove any metal (at least on mine). A dremel can remove too much in the blink of an eye.
    Have fun and make sure to post pics!!

yeah mine has a flat trunion, and thanks for the advice on the mag catch, will do pics when i get all the parts in and do the conversion

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    If you need a hand let me know, we're practically neighbors.

might take you up on that, still waiting on a few parts. if not maybe we could hook up for a beer. where abouts are you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom