• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Does anyone have the screwdriver set (or a similar Wheeler set) in the link below, and if so how do you like it?

I've read some of the reviews for these sets and people complain about bits breaking. There is even a description in on the web page saying the bits are designed to break before damage occurs to the screw.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions before I purchase the set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007363134?pid=439523

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I went with a set of Grace, Made in USA, gunsmith screwdrivers that I have been very happy with. Used them for several minor jobs on 10/22, Marlins, Browning and Colt ARs. If you do decide to go with Grace, keep in mind the have specialized sets for older revolvers, A5 shotguns, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...8be3-37d9-4d74-8524-fa49ecdbbe26&ref_=ast_bln

This is the general purpose set I went with and like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 9.23.52 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 9.23.52 PM.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 416

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Been using the Wheeler for years...
    Many of the same set over the years because some of the most used peices destruct...
    Buy, and use the Grace if you can.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I went with a set of Grace, Made in USA, gunsmith screwdrivers that I have been very happy with. Used them for several minor jobs on 10/22, Marlins, Browning and Colt ARs. If you do decide to go with Grace, keep in mind the have specialized sets for older revolvers, A5 shotguns, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...8be3-37d9-4d74-8524-fa49ecdbbe26&ref_=ast_bln

This is the general purpose set I went with and like.

I have that same set and it always seems like the screwdriver tip never fits properly for what I need it to. I do like their product though, I will check around and see if I can find a set with more options.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Does anyone have the screwdriver set (or a similar Wheeler set) in the link below, and if so how do you like it?

I've read some of the reviews for these sets and people complain about bits breaking. There is even a description in on the web page saying the bits are designed to break before damage occurs to the screw.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions before I purchase the set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007363134?pid=439523

I bought that exact set not too long ago. Haven't used it that much yet but so far it's been good. The tung I don't like is that the driver hadles have a crummy cheap look and feel to them. In fact I had to exchange the set because both hadles were a little off (when you turned a screw the handle would wobble around a bit, the shaft wasn't true) I called Wheeler first and they couldn't have cared less then I called Midway and they swapped it out for me. The second set was fine.

Also, even with all those bits in the set, the second time I needed it I found that it didn't include a small metric hex head bit and ended up ordering a small metric set of bits from McMaster-Carr to go along with the set.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have collected several screw driver sets over the years. The absolute best set is the Brownells Magna-Tip. Why? Not because their screwdriver bits are the best. They are good, but there is minimal difference in the good sets. Not because their handles are the best, because handle feel is so subjective.

They are the best because they have a huge variety of available bits, and they replace broken ones for free.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/index.htm

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks for all if the replies. I’m leaning towards the Brownells set. :thumbsup:

I wound up with the Brownell Magna-tips a number of years ago. I bought the 58 piece kit, along with an extra box and some metric and standard hex add ons as well as I recall. Some torx also I believe.

I was loathe to spend the money on screwdrivers, which makes zero sense because I'd spend 150 bucks on other gun related items over the years in the blink of an eye, and without a second thought. I have never used a Wheeler screwdriver, so I cannot comment on them. But I have been happy with the Brownells.

Just by way of mention, when you think about it, a number of things can happen when you apply a screwdriver to a fastener. Only one of those things is good. That is, you successfully remove or tighten the fastener, and both the fastener and the work area surrounding it are both structurally and cosmetically intact. Bits that don't fit properly mean stripped heads, broken heads, and sometimes fasteners that require a gunsmith and the associated expense and embarrassment to remove. Bits that slip or snap also mean marred work surfaces, as your now slipped or broken blade goes skating across a nice wood or polished surface. When any of these things happen, good screwdrivers become really inexpensive, and really quickly in comparison. I know that I won the dumb ass award a couple of times before I became a believer that standard Craftsman screwdrivers and gun screws don't mix. My point being, if you don't have any screwdrivers of the hollow ground variety, it's awfully hard to resist the temptation when the need arises to go to your toolbox for a standard screwdriver. And that's usually when the bigger problems start.

Wheeler or Chapman or Brownells or Grace, do at the very least, get yourself something.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Brownells. I have a solid handle and a hollow handle. Basic and thin bit sets. The hollow handle lives in my cowboy cart with a couple of bits specific to my cowboy guns. If you've ever worked on Colt SAA clones, Schofields or 1873 rifles you know most screwdrivers and bits from most sets do not fit those screws properly; I have not buggered up a single screw with the Brownells bits.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Brownells. I have a solid handle and a hollow handle. Basic and thin bit sets. The hollow handle lives in my cowboy cart with a couple of bits specific to my cowboy guns. If you've ever worked on Colt SAA clones, Schofields or 1873 rifles you know most screwdrivers and bits from most sets do not fit those screws properly; I have not buggered up a single screw with the Brownells bits.

Funny you say that. I have an old lever gun with about 80 years of dirt and grime in it that my current screwdriver set wont fit. Thats the exact reason for a screwdriver upgrade and looking for a more complete set.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have the Brownells set and it works quite well. My set is about 30 years old and is still my go to for most jobs. The bits do tend to either be a bit soft and will twist or too hard and snap off. It is easy to just get an inexpensive replacement bit set from the local hardware store though. Some of those replacement sets are pretty good quality and some are not. Some tips are a bit too thick for things like Colt single actions and the bits either have to be ground to fit or you just need to buy a specific set of screwdrivers for those.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Forster makes a good set as does Brownells.
    The thing about the Forster is the shanks are round, so if you break a tip you can hollow grind another tip and just re-harden them.
    The Grace sets have hex shaped shafts that cannot be re-formed. The Forster drivers shank is the same size as the blade is wide with the exception of the torx or allen shaped drivers.
    If they do happen to become broken you could regrind for a specialty screw slot when needed.
    Forster bonanza set are 50 some dollars on Amazon.
    For all of them, the shorter the driver the less likely to break the heads off small hardened screws or munting or damaging the slots due to the high torque that can be applied when you don't really need it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have the Brownells set and it works quite well. My set is about 30 years old and is still my go to for most jobs. The bits do tend to either be a bit soft and will twist or too hard and snap off. It is easy to just get an inexpensive replacement bit set from the local hardware store though. Some of those replacement sets are pretty good quality and some are not. Some tips are a bit too thick for things like Colt single actions and the bits either have to be ground to fit or you just need to buy a specific set of screwdrivers for those.

I had this experience with a straight blade screwdriver bit as well. It was very frustrating. I actually snapped off a hex bit. While the bit was guaranteed I paid shipping and handling, and that was about the price of the bit I snapped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom