• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Hello, I thought I would ask here as I know there are many Dillon users with a lot of knowledge. I am currently set up and loading 9mm on my press. I want to add loading .223 but don’t want to buy unneeded parts. What parts other than the dies and plate for .223 do I need to buy? I believe the case feeder is the same since they are both small cases?
    Any help with a list would be much appreciated....

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Call Dillon Support.
    They will walk you through everything you need.
    At the beginning of the Pandemic, their support line was running a 20+ minute wait.
    Worth it for correct and free information from an expert.

Good Luck.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The plate in the feeder is different. They are swappable, so just need another plate. Small pistol and small rifle.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    An excellent web page has been put together for many dilion models here: http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/index.asp

I ran it for the 650 going from 9mm to 223 and got:

Parts Used For Conversion:
    Status Manufacturer Item SKU
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Casefeed Adapter .223/White 13575
    HAVE Dillon Precision 650 Casefeeder Arm Green 13412
    HAVE Dillon Precision 650 Casefeeder Body Small 13513
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Shellplate 3 13345
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Station 1 Locator 3 13614

HAVE Dillon Precision Locator Buttons 3 14060
    NEED Dillon Precision Powder funnel A 13426

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, just a word of warning: loading 223 on a 650XL/750XL can be a little fraught due to how much brass has crimped primer pockets that need to be swaged. Also, if you really want to do volume, you'll need to have a head for case prep, which is a non-trivial expense. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it's a somewhat different ball game than 9mm.

That said, I have honestly started thinking about buying an RL1100 so that I can standardize my 223 loads. Maybe my next bonus...

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    An excellent web page has been put together for many dilion models here: http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/index.asp

I ran it for the 650 going from 9mm to 223 and got:

Parts Used For Conversion:
    Status Manufacturer Item SKU
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Casefeed Adapter .223/White 13575
    HAVE Dillon Precision 650 Casefeeder Arm Green 13412
    HAVE Dillon Precision 650 Casefeeder Body Small 13513
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Shellplate 3 13345
    NEED Dillon Precision 650 Station 1 Locator 3 13614

HAVE Dillon Precision Locator Buttons 3 14060
    NEED Dillon Precision Powder funnel A 13426

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks Mike!

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    So, just a word of warning: loading 223 on a 650XL/750XL can be a little fraught due to how much brass has crimped primer pockets that need to be swaged. Also, if you really want to do volume, you'll need to have a head for case prep, which is a non-trivial expense. I'm not saying it's not doable, but it's a somewhat different ball game than 9mm.

That said, I have honestly started thinking about buying an RL1100 so that I can standardize my 223 loads. Maybe my next bonus...

Thanks for the info!

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky

Yes, I haven’t started doing 223 on my 9mm 650xl because of the brass prep. I do have this product bookmarked (https://swageit.com/swage-it-s650-version-2-combo/). But I know it’s just part of an overall plan.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do military 5.56 on my 650.

I do two passes.

First pass is a tool head with a Lee Universal Decapper in Position 1. I have a sizing die in Position two. Lube the cases and just pull the handle. Rounds go in vibratory tumbler with corn cob media to remove lube.

I then use a Dillon 600 Super Swager. Normally while watching TV.

Second pass for loading is a normal setup tool head, but no sizing die. So first Position does nothing. Prime and powder at Position 2. Position 4 is bullet seating.

I have powder measures for the main calibers I load. For others, I have extra powder slide bars, that are set for each standard load. I paint the end white with model paint, then write the caliber/charge on the end with a Sharpie

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I didn't see a trim in there. The really efficient way to do this is get a 1050 or an RL 1100, do the decap/size/trim/swage in toolhead #1, do a media tumble, and then the usual prime, powder, seat, maybe crimp sequence in toolhead #2. Hand-swaging is only realistic if you're churning out small batches of precision ammo, it is not really going to keep up if you're trying to load several thousand .223 rounds a year.

Some people use a Swage-It, and it works, but it's also known to break shell plates and piss off Dillon if you go to them for warranty service. So buyer beware and all that. I see the appeal, on-press-swaging is a big feature of the 1050/1100. I'm actually sorta tempted to use a 650 for larger primer stuff, and an RL 1100 for smaller primer stuff, since I bulk shoot 9mm and 223, and do a lot less with 45 and 308.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I didn't see a trim in there. The really efficient way to do this is get a 1050 or an RL 1100, do the decap/size/trim/swage in toolhead #1, do a media tumble, and then the usual prime, powder, seat, maybe crimp sequence in toolhead #2. Hand-swaging is only realistic if you're churning out small batches of precision ammo, it is not really going to keep up if you're trying to load several thousand .223 rounds a year.

Some people use a Swage-It, and it works, but it's also known to break shell plates and piss off Dillon if you go to them for warranty service. So buyer beware and all that. I see the appeal, on-press-swaging is a big feature of the 1050/1100. I'm actually sorta tempted to use a 650 for larger primer stuff, and an RL 1100 for smaller primer stuff, since I bulk shoot 9mm and 223, and do a lot less with 45 and 308.

If you have a 1050, there is no reason to do two passes. Lube the cases, run them through the 1050, ended up with completed rounds.

Tumble in corn cob for 10 - 15 minutes to remove the lube.

I can swage 1000 5.56 in about 90 minutes in front of the TV.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You gotta trim your cases after firing if you're shooting them in a different rifle, or a semi. That's why you need two passes - you've got to get rid of the burr after the trim, even with the Dillon trimmer. Otherwise, yes, you could get away with one.

The problem is that you can do stuff like hand trim, hand swage, hand prime, etc., but the accumulated time it takes on 5k-10k of rifle ammo makes it a waste of time compared to just doing it correctly on the press. I think it's a lot more acceptable if you're shooting 500-2000 rounds of precision ammo a year.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I did an experiment with the AR15 and case growth length reloading and shooting the same cases over and over. Surprisingly to me, 20" rifle gas guns didn't cause the brass to ever grow beyond max SAAMI length. In fact, the cases didn't grown in length after the first reloading. 16" midlength was similar. Carbine gas and shorter did cause brass to grow enough to require trimming. The results are possibly unique to my guns, load recipe, dies etc., So don't interpret my results as universal. I did test several guns. I was pretty surprised.

Eta: I still trim with the Dillon press mounted trimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom