• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Be sure to check the DNR web site for public hunting lands:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/public-hunting-lands/

Actually I think MD has pretty good availability of public land. It does get pounded pretty hard during firearms seasons, but during archery it has not been bad for me. I don't much like the additional fee for managed hunting areas, but I have had success in some of those archery only areas.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    I got 6. 5 in QA and 1 in Cecil. The EHD wiped out huge numbers in Kent, QA Caroline and Talbot. The next few years might be a tough hunt in those areas hit. Some farmers were reporting upwards to 50 dead in their fields. Hopefully the freeze killed off large numbers of midge larvae...

That's nature trying to take care of the over population problem.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Maryland is better for public land hunting opportunities than Northern Virginia--that's for sure. I live in Arlington and do almost all of my hunting in Maryland because the closest places in Virginia are at least 90 minutes away. I had my most successful hunting season ever: 3 deer, 11 geese, 9 ducks, 1 jack rabbit, 4 quail. All in Maryland, except for one of the deer was in the national forest in Virginia and jack rabbit and quail were in Kansas. I hunted deer a total of 18 days (I took a couple days off work to do it) and hunted waterfowl six days. But I agree whole heartedly that more of the publicly owned properties need to be made available on Sundays. The public land is incredibly pressured. I'm afraid to hunt deer during the gun season on public land and after having someone shoot over my head this year, I won't hunt ducks on public land either any more until I can get a boat.

The Sunday hunting ban is the most hateful thing to ever be done to the working-man-hunter. The excuses for keeping it in place are pathetic. I'm optimistic that things could change now that some hunting is allowed on Sundays on private land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom