• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am thinking about building a 6.5 Grendel and wanted to get advice on what type of barrel or upper components and where to find the best value. I have a decent lower but want to start researching the upper components. If you have built one or have experience with this type of build, any help will be most appreciated.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Subscribed. I am in the exact same boat. The only decision I have made is that I want a 16" barrel as it will be suppressed most of the time and when used for hunting, I don't want the whole package to be too long.

It gets confusing when you start seeing Grendel, Grendel Type 1, Grendel Type 2 and .264 LBC-AR

The biggest thing we need to do that I have gleaned so far is to buy the barrel and bolt from the same place, in case their are headspace issues.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Subscribed ones been on my list, lowers easy. But the best decent upper, buffer combination etc I wouldn't mind some guidance as well.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    When I do mine, I've decided on 24" barrel. Upper will be either Alexander Arms or Precision.

From what I've been reading, 24" gets the most from the cartridge. I don't expect to hunt with it, so weight and handling issues will be reduced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    When I do mine, I've decided on 24" barrel. Upper will be either Alexander Arms or Precision.

From what I've been reading, 24" gets the most from the cartridge. I don't expect to hunt with it, so weight and handling issues will be reduced.

I looked at both places as well and frankly, I don't have that kind of money.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    My Grendel has a heavy 24" Satern barrel, Mega Machine side charging upper, Alexander Arms lower and Magpul PRS stock. Intended purpose was target shooting and accuracy is fantastic (well under MOA with handloads). I've hunted with it a few times but it's a beast to lug around...would definitely change up the components to reduce weight if hunting was a primary purpose. Good luck with your build!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a 12.5" upper I will scavenge the upper frame and SLR adjustable gas block from. Sell the barrel and handguard separately and get a longer guard and gas tube.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I looked at both places as well and frankly, I don't have that kind of money.
    yea... which is why I'm still sitting on a complete lower with no upper. I have to justify the cost vs desire vs WAF...

JoeBob's Outfitters carries the Radical uppers and he's an IP here. Don't know much about Radical uppers - I think a thread here somewhere.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    I’m a fan of Aero’s receivers, they are decent quality and you can get them on sale at very good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    On a $200-250 budget, I think I have narrowed it down to either:

Satern/Liberty 1:8 16" fluted 5R stainless Grendel II chamber,
    Alexander Arms 16" Fluted 1:7.5 Stainless SAAMI chamber
    Faxon 16" Gunner Profile 5R Nitrided 1:8 SAAMI chambered barrel.

EDIT: Also looking at some of the Bear Creek offerings. They are 1/2 to 3/4 price of the others and seem to shoot well. More research is required, but they do suggest 1 MOA or better with quality ammo.

Am I correct in assuming that the biggest difference between the SAAMI chamber and the Grendel II chamber is that the SAAMI is capable of loading the cheaper steel case ammo while the non-compound chamber of the Grendel II chamber will not?

Last edited:

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    After a little more research, the Bear Creek barrels get good-ish reviews. The good reviews are because they perform MOA or better at 100yds with good ammo (mostly Hornady Black) and most of the bad reviews are the biggest detractor....the finish. The tooling is rather rough and could use some polishing. If this will be a hunting rifle and inside 300 yds is your wheelhouse, then BC seems to fit the bill. If you want to stretch its legs a little, or use cheaper ammo, you may be quite disappointed.

The Faxon barrel gets much more positive reviews. It has a much cleaner finish to it and it appears they really make a decent product.

The Alexander Arms Lite barrels are reportedly made by Bergara - BUT - only come with a 9/16x24RH thread, which limits your muzzle device choices. Then again - Bergara!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Wow! A little searching lead me to another forum that is currently running a Faxon Match grade 16" group buy for $177 delivered.
    • Chrome-moly-vanadium 4150 tactical tough steel in a medium-light profile for all-day carry
    • Black nitrided inside and out, including barrel extension with M4-style feed ramps, for all-weather durability
    • Mid-length gas system (MLGS) for smoother recoil impulse; gas block diameter 0.750"
    • SAAMI-spec chamber; headspaced for boltface depth of 0.136"
    • Button-rifled. Hybrid 5R 1:8 rifling with our unique 5R-EE (Easy Engraving) reduced-height rifling for decreased bullet deformation
    • "Bull" chamber section reduces barrel whip for consistent accuracy while being closer to gun's center of balance for easier handling; also puts a good chunk of protective steel closest to the operator, where it counts in the event of an overcharge
    • Muzzle threads 5/8x24 with 11-degree target crown
    • Grendel "MONSTER" skull logo near muzzle!

I think I may have found my barrel!

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15973-OPEN-65G-MONSTER-16-Barrel-Buy-167-10S-amp-H

EDIT: Because these are being made to non-Faxon spec with the 5R-EE rifling (0.003" lands instead of Faxon and industry standard 0.004") Faxon only guarantees these barrels against manufacturing defects). Otherwise the rifling is at the very end of SAAMI specs for the Grendel.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Wow! A little searching lead me to another forum that is currently running a Faxon Match grade 16" group buy for $177 delivered.
    • Chrome-moly-vanadium 4150 tactical tough steel in a medium-light profile for all-day carry
    • Black nitrided inside and out, including barrel extension with M4-style feed ramps, for all-weather durability
    • Mid-length gas system (MLGS) for smoother recoil impulse; gas block diameter 0.750"
    • SAAMI-spec chamber; headspaced for boltface depth of 0.136"
    • Button-rifled. Hybrid 5R 1:8 rifling with our unique 5R-EE (Easy Engraving) reduced-height rifling for decreased bullet deformation
    • "Bull" chamber section reduces barrel whip for consistent accuracy while being closer to gun's center of balance for easier handling; also puts a good chunk of protective steel closest to the operator, where it counts in the event of an overcharge
    • Muzzle threads 5/8x24 with 11-degree target crown
    • Grendel "MONSTER" skull logo near muzzle!

I think I may have found my barrel!

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15973-OPEN-65G-MONSTER-16-Barrel-Buy-167-10S-amp-H

EDIT: Because these are being made to non-Faxon spec with the 5R-EE rifling (0.003" lands instead of Faxon and industry standard 0.004") Faxon only guarantees these barrels against manufacturing defects). Otherwise the rifling is at the very end of SAAMI specs for the Grendel.

He also has 18" versions currently on hand (10 left) for $195 delivered.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nope, Grendel II will chamber the wolf steel cased. Keep in mind it is steel cased. Mine is still tightening up and I’ve got some lapping and polishing to do, as as some more break in with mine. First rifle I’ve had that has seemed to want all that.

Anyway, Classic Fireams 18” HBAR fluted Barrel with their boot carrier group and an andrerson upper receiver. Wolf steel cased shot 7” 10 shot groups at 100yds the first few rounds after zeroing. 5” 10 shot groups after 100 rounds total. Hornady ELD tightened up to just about 1.25” 5 shot groups and Federal fusion 5 shot groups are just under 1”.

Both of those tightened up a couple tenths of an inch from the first groups of each (burned a box of both plus 60 rounds of wolf). I haven’t shot Hornady SST yet, but I have a couple of boxes. I figure with some work and/or break in all of those might tighten up another 10-20%. The wolf may be a crappy batch. Or it could be my rifle just doesn’t want to shoot them. It’ll do 2 or 3 rounds in to maybe a 2” group, but then I’ll have a flier 1-2” away from the group, rinse and repeat. So I’ll have 6-7 shots out of 10 in a 2-2.5” group with 3-4 fliers 1-2” out (at random directions) from the main group.

Anway, my whole reason was for a hunting rifle and I can damn well live with MOA or a little over with hunting ammo as my max range is going to be 300yds and no more with this. Total weight is 8lbs 4oz with scope. A new scope mount and switching to a CAV-15 lower will probably shed a further 4-5oz.

6.5 Grendel will certainly benefit from a long barrel, but it still does pretty well with a short barrel. I forget exactly what you get out of it, but I think it is figure about 25fps per inch over 16”. So from 16” to 24” you are talking maybe 200FPS. Might be closer to 250fls, but I doubt more then that.

My total sunk cost was $260 to build the upper for all parts including BCG (on sale for $80, Barrel on sale for $100 I think, of it might have been like $95. Melonited and 5r rifled)

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Nope, Grendel II will chamber the wolf steel cased. Keep in mind it is steel cased. Mine is still tightening up and I’ve got some lapping and polishing to do, as as some more break in with mine. First rifle I’ve had that has seemed to want all that.

Anyway, Classic Fireams 18” HBAR fluted Barrel with their boot carrier group and an andrerson upper receiver. Wolf steel cased shot 7” 10 shot groups at 100yds the first few rounds after zeroing. 5” 10 shot groups after 100 rounds total. Hornady ELD tightened up to just about 1.25” 5 shot groups and Federal fusion 5 shot groups are just under 1”.

Both of those tightened up a couple tenths of an inch from the first groups of each (burned a box of both plus 60 rounds of wolf). I haven’t shot Hornady SST yet, but I have a couple of boxes. I figure with some work and/or break in all of those might tighten up another 10-20%. The wolf may be a crappy batch. Or it could be my rifle just doesn’t want to shoot them. It’ll do 2 or 3 rounds in to maybe a 2” group, but then I’ll have a flier 1-2” away from the group, rinse and repeat. So I’ll have 6-7 shots out of 10 in a 2-2.5” group with 3-4 fliers 1-2” out (at random directions) from the main group.

Anway, my whole reason was for a hunting rifle and I can damn well live with MOA or a little over with hunting ammo as my max range is going to be 300yds and no more with this. Total weight is 8lbs 4oz with scope. A new scope mount and switching to a CAV-15 lower will probably shed a further 4-5oz.

6.5 Grendel will certainly benefit from a long barrel, but it still does pretty well with a short barrel. I forget exactly what you get out of it, but I think it is figure about 25fps per inch over 16”. So from 16” to 24” you are talking maybe 200FPS. Might be closer to 250fls, but I doubt more then that.

My total sunk cost was $260 to build the upper for all parts including BCG (on sale for $80, Barrel on sale for $100 I think, of it might have been like $95. Melonited and 5r rifled)

The Classic barrels are made by Bear Creek and they cut a SAAMI chamber. The term Type 2 refers to the bolt being 0.136 and not 0.125 of the Type 1.

The speed difference between a 16" and a 19.5" barrel is only 23-25 fps per inch.
    http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs/grendel_ballistics.pdf

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The two barrel lengths that interest me for 6.5 Grendel are around 12" and around 18", and am not really interested in too much more than 1ish MOA accuracy with hunting ammo. And I need the steel cased ammo to shoot well enough to ring steel consistently.

If I were going to build a big ol 24" barrel rifle, I would probably go with a larger cartridge like 6.5 creedmoor. Totally understand why people like 6.5g out of a long barrel, but it just doesn't really interest me for the time being. That said, my opinions may change if someday I want to be able to ring steel at long distance and have become recoil sensitive, or want to be able to make really fast follow up shots.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The two barrel lengths that interest me for 6.5 Grendel are around 12" and around 18", and am not really interested in too much more than 1ish MOA accuracy with hunting ammo. And I need the steel cased ammo to shoot well enough to ring steel consistently.

If I were going to build a big ol 24" barrel rifle, I would probably go with a larger cartridge like 6.5 creedmoor. Totally understand why people like 6.5g out of a long barrel, but it just doesn't really interest me for the time being. That said, my opinions may change if someday I want to be able to ring steel at long distance and have become recoil sensitive, or want to be able to make really fast follow up shots.

I am seeing repetitive reviews that Wolf steel cased shoots about 2-3MOA out of even the highest end barrels.

You will see from the AA ballistic chart that at the 12" barrel mark (with some extrapolation) you are still gonna get 1300-1400 ft/lb at the muzzle. I would just make sure to look at the recommended minimum speed for each bullet type to make sure they will open up and at what distance.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Odin works 18" heavy profile barrel with a Spikes upper. Midwest Industries free floated hand guard. Five rounds at 100 yards that can be covered by a nickel.

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
      DSC_0040.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 360
    • DSC_0021_01.jpg
      DSC_0021_01.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 338

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Odin works 18" heavy profile barrel with a Spikes upper. Midwest Industries free floated hand guard. Five rounds at 100 yards that can be covered by a nickel.

I went with the Odin 18" as well (intermediate gas). Keep an eye out for sales. I got my barrel with BCG for $279 on sale from primary arms. The gun market is "soft" so there's bound to be a sale on something you want. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though....

tdb1uJf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom