• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    We had an office in Los Angeles. For some reason their staff was ill equipped to prepare their own presentation materials. We lent our staff out to them. Sadly, there was a typographical error that several editors missed and spell check didn't pick up. 'Lost Angeles' was at the footer of every document.

Error, or Freudian slip?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    To paraphrase Connecticut Legislator in regards to massive non-compliance to their knee-jerk reaction laws post Sandy-Hook, "If you pass a law and it is ignored by an overwhelming majority, is it truly a law."

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think everyone may be missing the point.....

If CA gets away with this, MD will be the next in line.....

I will not comply.

Attachments

• donttread.png
      donttread.png
      21.7 KB · Views: 289

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The best way to point out the errors in reasoning here are to ask those in favor of this how exactly they arrived at 10 rounds. Ask why not 9 or 12 or 3. If it'still to limit how many people can be killed, why not ban magazines outright and force people to handload one at a time, why do they think it's OK for 10 people to be shot before a reload if they believe this will stop criminals? If this is such a good idea, make it mandatory for police as well. If they don't agree it should also apply to police force them to explain why police need more than 10 rounds and then ask why those same arguments don't apply to law abiding citizens using guns for THEIR defense.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    The best way to point out the errors in reasoning here are to ask those in favor of this how exactly they arrived at 10 rounds. Ask why not 9 or 12 or 3. If it'still to limit how many people can be killed, why not ban magazines outright and force people to handload one at a time, why do they think it's OK for 10 people to be shot before a reload if they believe this will stop criminals? If this is such a good idea, make it mandatory for police as well. If they don't agree it should also apply to police force them to explain why police need more than 10 rounds and then ask why those same arguments don't apply to law abiding citizens using guns for THEIR defense.

We are almost never at a loss for a cogent argument. What's missing is a judiciary that will embrace logic and the constitution.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I'm so glad I don't live in CA. When I was a kid it was a dream to one day live there. Then again I also dreamed of becoming a Wizard.

Jul 4, 2013
    I've never understood how people don't raise the clear argument that restrictions on the possession of magazines/AWs are ex post facto laws. They're literally retroactively criminalizing conduct that was legal prior, i.e. possession of standard cap mags.

At the same time, even if it was not an ex post facto law, the government is clearly seizing property, which would then require just compensation. So many constitutional issues with laws like these.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm waiting for CA to pass a law that all "civilian" owned firearms must be painted fluorescent orange. Lord knows, only black and camo colored guns are used in committing crimes.

If we just banned black & camo guns, then we would have no crime.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I've never understood how people don't raise the clear argument that restrictions on the possession of magazines/AWs are ex post facto laws. They're literally retroactively criminalizing conduct that was legal prior, i.e. possession of standard cap mags.

At the same time, even if it was not an ex post facto law, the government is clearly seizing property, which would then require just compensation. So many constitutional issues with laws like these.

I'm not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn. That being said, I believe that the above only refers to Congress according to the Constitution and not to the States.

Please correct me if I am wrong (which happens a lot but that's how I learn). I'm sure that I'm wrong and would definitely appreciate constructive criticism.

Last edited:

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Like md changing laws for a previous conviction that now makes you a probibited person,the constitution appllies to states as well

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

It would only be an ex post facto law if they passed a law today that punished you for having the magazines yesterday. The new law is only prospective. It was ok to have the magazines yesterday and today, but you got to get rid of them before tomorrow. Heck, I'm sure the folks possessing cocaine and morphine on the '30's were upset when these things got regulated by the pure food and drug act, which suddenly made them illegal, or booze, when the Volstead Act was passed following adoption of the 18th amendment...

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I bet there'll be a few Cali's who comply simply because the gov't is telling them to do it, disregarding the fact the mags have been legal to possess until today.

Politicians out there have been inhaling too much polluted air. Unfortunately for us, the nitwits in our GA might try to pass something similar for us. Don't believe there'd be a very high rate of compliance by our Md brethren.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I wonder how the movies and tv shows will comply. Filmed in LA - so all the cops and criminals will have 10 round mags? OR how about Top Shot if that is still around, since they film in CA will they only be allowed 10 rounds?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The new law applies to the City of LA, not the county or the rest of the state..

yet.

CA code allows large cap mags for movies

Large capacity magazines may be manufactured for any federal, state, or local government or law
    enforcement agency, or for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties, whether on or
    off duty.
    PC Section 32440
    . Large capacity magazines may also be purchased or loaned for the sole use as a
    motion picture, television or video prop. PC Section 32445

, PC32450. Such magazines may also be resold to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, or the military, pursuant to applicable federal regulations.
    PC Section 32450

For additional large capacity ammunition magazine regulations, see
    Cal. Code Regs. tit. 11, §§ 978.40-978.44

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I wonder how the movies and tv shows will comply. Filmed in LA - so all the cops and criminals will have 10 round mags? OR how about Top Shot if that is still around, since they film in CA will they only be allowed 10 rounds?

They already have revolvers that shoot 30 rounds, why not 10 round mags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom