• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Well, not intend on picking up a pistol, I had driven by a shop in PA on way from my son's travel game. Was driving from Sat event near Philly up to NJ and saw a LGS sign.
    This place was nice. I did not even get to the C&R rifles when I saw this. Something I had been looking for and it was in really good shape. Small amount of wear on the top. No cracks in the grips and scratches on the grips are not that bad for a 1952 pistol.
    I did not have an idea what the real value was but got it for $300 which was to me a good value with the condition it was in.
    Sn is 39xxxx

Nice early Sport King. You did well at $300. :thumbsup:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Thanks for bringing this thread back. I keep forgetting to post pictures of recent purchases.

Here is a Model B-US. Approximately 14,000 made in 1942-1943.

Attachments

• B-US1.jpg
      B-US1.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 301
    • B-US2.jpg
      B-US2.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 294

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Here are a 1st and 2nd series Olympic. 1st series with the curved mag.
    1st series, approximately 1,200 made in 1949-1950.
    2nd series, made in 1951-1953. Low production, but not sure about the numbers.

Attachments

• Olympic - 1.jpg
      Olympic - 1.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 294
    • Olympic-2.jpg
      Olympic-2.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 288

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Here is an H-A and an H-E.

H-A had approximately 1,040 made in 1940-1942.

H-E had approximately 1,006 made in 1940-1942.

Attachments

• H-A.jpg
      H-A.jpg
      80.1 KB · Views: 292
    • H-E.jpg
      H-E.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 295

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    These are Hartford Arms & Equipment guns, the predecessors to the High Standards. The Model 1925 with 10 round magazine and the Single Shot Target.

The Model 1925 had approximately 5,000 made between 1925-1932.

The Single Shot Target was made in this same period. Not sure about production numbers, but they were low.

Attachments

• Hartford.jpg
      Hartford.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 302
    • Harford - Single.jpg
      Harford - Single.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 287

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I guess I'm going to have to read alot (I don't like to read books), but its very interesting how many different models there are and how they changed over the years. One could look at one and ask why did they change and make a new one? Who was their competition? and it seems spare mags are not very low in price.

rsideout, impressive collection.

The military used them for training?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I guess I'm going to have to read alot (I don't like to read books), but its very interesting how many different models there are and how they changed over the years. One could look at one and ask why did they change and make a new one? Who was their competition? and it seems spare mags are not very low in price.

rsideout, impressive collection.

The military used them for training?

Thanks!

Yes, they used a number of different models over the years. The most interesting one, IMHO, was the Model USA-HD MS. That was an integrally suppressed pistol used by the OSS, CIA, etc. Gary Powers was carrying one when he was shot down over the USSR. That gun is in a museum in Moscow.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I recently picked up 2 High Standards; a Military HD and a 10" Supermatic Citation Model 102, and know very little about them. I'm basically an S&W Model 41 fan.
    I would appreciate any info anyone could provide. Thanks.

Attachments

• Model 102 Supermatic Citation w extra Barrel and red dot.jpg
      Model 102 Supermatic Citation w extra Barrel and red dot.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 230
    • HS Sup Cit and HS Military HD.jpg
      HS Sup Cit and HS Military HD.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 244

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    This OSS guy has a High Standard of some model in his shoulder holster. That's John Brunner, the guy that wrote the books on the Colt 1903, and on OSS Weapons. He served in the OSS in China. In the 1970s he was my German professor at Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Awesome looking pistols, where can one obtain one? Also can C&R FFL03 holder purchase one without going through the HQL thingie?

Gun shows and Gunbroker are your best sources. I have seen a couple in local shops. Almost every gun show will have a few to choose from.

Some High Standards are not C & R. You can get the date of manufacture from the ser#. Nobody needs an HQL for C & R handguns.

http://www.histandard.info/datapublic/serial/

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Awesome looking pistols, where can one obtain one? Also can C&R FFL03 holder purchase one without going through the HQL thingie?

As dontpanic mentioned Gunbroker and gun shows are some of the best places to find guns that are no longer in production. Some of my favorite haunts are pawn shops.
    The High Standard I bought was a C&R purchase based on being over 50 years old.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    This OSS guy has a High Standard of some model in his shoulder holster. That's John Brunner, the guy that wrote the books on the Colt 1903, and on OSS Weapons. He served in the OSS in China. In the 1970s he was my German professor at Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania.

If he was OSS, the gun might be a High Standard USA HD-MS. The integrally suppressed model. High Standard made about 2,600 of them for that agency. There were a small handful that made it into the NFA registry after WWII that can be owned by civilians. I tried to buy one last year. I offered $10K, but the seller said he was looking for $35K.

Jul 1, 2012
    thread resurrection...

Really nice grouping!

A US Property is high on the list...

OK, it only took me two and a half years :)
    Between poor condition and/or high price it's been hard to find one...
    Buddy of mine decided to sell off some of his stuff and gave me a pretty good deal on a nice Model B-US.
    I believe it was shipped sometime in 1942 based on model and S/N (1010xx).

Attachments

• DSC_1734.jpg
      DSC_1734.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 156
    • DSC_1735.jpg
      DSC_1735.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 139
    • DSC_1737.jpg
      DSC_1737.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 137
    • DSC_1741.jpg
      DSC_1741.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 139
    • DSC_1732.jpg
      DSC_1732.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 140

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I just got a G-380 but I don't have a picture of it. I bought it as my Christmas present (decided a few years ago that if I wanted something decent, I had to buy it for myself)... got it on my C&R, logged it in, and turned it over to my wife to wrap and give to me for Christmas. Two months before I can play with it, but I know that there will be something besides Old Spice and ugly ties under the tree :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom