• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    for you abingdon folks, have you noticed a large amount of solicitors lately. of course my wife knows NOT to answer the door for anyone and just let the dog bark in the window till they leave. and i chase them away, im not the most friendly looking guy. while some may be legit( like the chem lawn guy, i almost let my dog out on) some are real shady looking. with all the stuff going on the world and all the stuff i read here about break ins, just wanted to give a heads up. some of these guys say they are selling alarm systems, and others that havnt been answered have some sort of badge of some sort. just an fyi, I of course trust no one. and i have told my wife to let the dog bark in the window, or if they dont leave i told her to stand near the window with the .357! while calling the cops.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Very true, I just noticed cause Ive been off for the last week. and trust me when I answer the door the XD(m) is on the belt holster under my shirt in the back. I just worry about when Im not here. Although Baby(the pit bull) does scare most away, and God help 'em if they ever came in, she is very protective of the family.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You need a permit to solicit in the county with exception of non-profit (girl scouts etc). Contact Sheriff's Office 410-838-6600, MSP have no jurisdiction for a county ordinance.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    That's interesting!!!! I never knew Hazzard Co required a permit to solicit! I will pass that on to my wife! She usually doesn't answer the door anyway. hell it makes me mad because she doesn't answer it even if it is someone she knows, she just sends me no matter what I am doing.

It's funny you talk about your dog... I have three and its funny to watch people's reactions. Two of them are little yappers and people are comfortable with them yapping in the window, enter our third. He is a chow, and that usually produces a surprise/uneasy reaction once he peeks out. Its like nite and day in the facial expressions. LOL!!!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    It's funny you talk about your dog... I have three and its funny to watch people's reactions. Two of them are little yappers and people are comfortable with them yapping in the window, enter our third. He is a chow, and that usually produces a surprise/uneasy reaction once he peeks out. Its like nite and day in the facial expressions. LOL!!!

We had a chow and she was more of a teddy bear then a guard dog. I'd have another chow in a hearbeat!

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Thnaks fivepoint that was the info i was looking for. i was gonna call the hoa. but again ive been reading about the scammers seeing if people were home, and that was my main concern. and i am going to put a sign on my door, " no solicitors"!

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Thnaks fivepoint that was the info i was looking for. i was gonna call the hoa. but again ive been reading about the scammers seeing if people were home, and that was my main concern. and i am going to put a sign on my door, " no solicitors"!

We've tried that... they don't/can't read. :mad54:

El_flasko nailed it... "south central Abingdon"

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    We had a chow and she was more of a teddy bear then a guard dog. I'd have another chow in a hearbeat!

The one we have now and the one I grew up with are teddy bears. But when I was in high school, someone tried to break in and the one I grew up with went nuts!!!. We used to say he would lick you to death till the sun went down, then you needed to watch out! I can only hope the chow we have now will be the same way.... but then again, he has never been tested.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The one we have now and the one I grew up with are teddy bears. But when I was in high school, someone tried to break in and the one I grew up with went nuts!!!. We used to say he would lick you to death till the sun went down, then you needed to watch out! I can only hope the chow we have now will be the same way.... but then again, he has never been tested.

Know exactly what you mean....she hated strangers and was very protective of my wife which is why we got her. Once she knew we were ok with the stranger she would chill and lick them. I think about her everyday. She was protective of her food, I have the bite scars to prove it:D

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    How about this sign?

Attachments

• No_Solicitors_Sign_104.gif
      No_Solicitors_Sign_104.gif
      3.8 KB · Views: 194

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    "Oh, thats nice, would you like to meet the dog?" usually gets them to leave. She barks, wags her tail (aka slamming it into the sides of her crate for a giant ruckus) and carries on like she wants to eat somebody when really she just wants a biscuit and a head-rub from the visitor. :evilgrin3

It helps that my doorbell doesnt ring, so most people stand out there and press it for a while and then walk away. :innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Has some D-head environmentalist come around the other night with his clipboard. Seemed a little offended when I told him I wasn't signing his petition or giving him my contact information. Biggest irritant was that he came by once and knocked which I ignored. F'ker came back 20 minutes later and unfortunatly that time the dog went nuts so I had to open the door so she'd quiet down. White guy, late 30's, going bald, something about saving the Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom