• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Didn't the Colonials get their asses whipped BAD there?? Battle of NP would make more sense. :shrug:

Yes. Battle_of_Bladensburg

Thanks to the loss the British burned the Capitol and the White House.
    tumblr_m99bh81qIn1qbrih3o1_500.jpg

No worries though, everyone who participates gets a trophy. :)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yes. Battle_of_Bladensburg

Thanks to the loss the British burned the Capitol and the White House.
    tumblr_m99bh81qIn1qbrih3o1_500.jpg

No worries though, everyone who participates gets a trophy. :)

They should have kept PG county............

the cannon are neat though.............. seems they stagnated for many years until the interrupted thread for a breech load came along. They look no different (to the layman like me) than a civil war era smooth bore.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have always considered the war of 1812 and the Battle of Bladensburg, strange but interesting. I have never understood why we were at War to start with, we had our Independence, hell we were invading Canada. Then to see the war end with the Brits eating a lavish dinner at the White House that Dolly had prepared before they started burning the city down is one thing, but for a freak group of storms which included Tornadoes to run the Brits off...it all sounds like a modern day movie like Lincoln the Vampire Slayer.
    I grew up in that area, have been through all the old houses and enjoy the history. Hell my first home was on the dueling grounds where Hamilton was killed by Burr. I hope the 200th goes well, unfortunately most of the current residents are still learning American history not to mention English.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Our militia got mauled by the Brits at Bladensburg. As part of the 200th anniversary of the 'Star Spangled Banner' and the War of 1812, we are also commemorating the Battle of Bladensburg, as well as many other 'incidents' of the war. Although we did lose that battle, it holds historical significance with respect to the war and the capture of Washington. History does not differentiate between wins and losses; keeping the entire conflict in perspective is why we do it.

I'm at Fort McHenry right now getting geared up for Bladensburg tomorrow, where I will be part of the 6-pounder gun crew.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    if i remember right the war was fought for a couple reasons. The brits didnt fully aknowledge us as a country and were impressing ships crews off US ships to serve in the royal navy. If you dont recognize the country then they are still technically english subjects. Back then it wasnt uncommon to just grab people and force them to crew ships. Also canada is/was a brit colony therefore same as england itself. Brit was allied with native indians especially in the NE - who do you think they used as proxy fighters. you also had major waterways - read trade routes with teh st lawrence seaway and great lakes - you control those you have a lock on a lot of trade.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I have always considered the war of 1812 and the Battle of Bladensburg, strange but interesting. I have never understood why we were at War to start with, we had our Independence, hell we were invading Canada. Then to see the war end with the Brits eating a lavish dinner at the White House that Dolly had prepared before they started burning the city down is one thing, but for a freak group of storms which included Tornadoes to run the Brits off...it all sounds like a modern day movie like Lincoln the Vampire Slayer.
    I grew up in that area, have been through all the old houses and enjoy the history. Hell my first home was on the dueling grounds where Hamilton was killed by Burr. I hope the 200th goes well, unfortunately most of the current residents are still learning American history not to mention English.

Funny you mention the freak weather. overheard something regarding a program on the idiot box that the freak weather was caused by aliens to change history in favor of the U.S.:sad20:

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Actually, Burr killed Hamilton in New Jersey. Stephen Decatur, however, was killed while 'defending his honor' at the dueling grounds on Bladensburg Road. A young naval officer with a promising future, he, along with Hamilton, is one of the most well known Americans to be killed in a duel. Dueling was illegal in Washington, but still legal in Maryland at the time. So in order to right an insult, the gentlemen would step over the city line to settle their dispute. Many a man traded his life for his honor on those grounds.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They call it the Bladensburg Races. American militia cut and ran. On the plus side, I believe the British suffered heavier casualties than the Americans.

The War of 1812 started as one big misunderstanding. The British were actually prepared to agree to the American demands that they stop abducting American sailors and raiding shipping with France, but due to the slow communications of the era, the US declared war before they received news. The Royal Navy was losing large numbers of men during the Napoleonic Wars. In the age of sail, manpower on naval vessels was absolutely crucial, especially skilled hands. The British did not believe that it was possible to renounce British citizenship. Therefore, the Royal Navy would regularly stop American vessels, both civilian and US Navy in order to capture sailors they suspected of being British subjects and force them to serve in the Royal Navy. In addition, Britain did not believe that the US could be neutral in the Napoleonic Wars. They interpreted the fact that Americans traded with the French as violating neutrality and raided American commerce headed towards France.

One particularly offensive incident occurred in 1807 when the HMS Leopard attacked and boarded the USS Chesapeake. The Leopard had demanded to search the Chesapeake for British deserters serving in the US Navy. When refused, they attacked the Chesapeake, killing and wounding a number in addition abducting four men suspected of being deserters.

That's in addition to the other complicated issues, such as the British encouraging Indian raids on the frontier and American expansionists wanting Canada too.

They should have kept PG county............

the cannon are neat though.............. seems they stagnated for many years until the interrupted thread for a breech load came along. They look no different (to the layman like me) than a civil war era smooth bore.

Two advances off the top of my head between the War of 1812 and Civil War in terms of smoothbore artillery were better casting techniques which allowed for thinner cannon of the same caliber as well as friction primers fired by lanyard rather than being touched off with a linstock.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Actually, Burr killed Hamilton in New Jersey. Stephen Decatur, however, was killed while 'defending his honor' at the dueling grounds on Bladensburg Road. A young naval officer with a promising future, along with Hamilton, he is one of the most well known Americans to be killed in a duel. Dueling was illegal in Washington, but was still legal in Maryland at the time. So in order to right an insult, the gentlemen would step over the city line to settle their dispute. Many a man traded his life for his honor on those grounds.

Yes you are absolutely correct and after all this time I still confuse Hamilton and Decatur for some reason. And Decatur was shot by James Barron. So The two Naval officers one killed by Burr, one by Barron..gets confusing. The land that sits between 37th ave and Bladensburg road was actually part of Fort Lincoln Cemetery which connected DC to a little town named Colmar Manor. The Colmar stood for COL from Columbia and MAR from Maryland. My wifes grandfather was a grave digger for the cemetery, and bought one of the houses they built for caretakers. Many years later, we purchased the one that joined the small parcel declared historic, that they had declared the dueling grounds. Spent many nights looking for ghosts...nothing but the occasional gunshots to be heard from DC !

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Our militia got mauled by the Brits at Bladensburg. As part of the 200th anniversary of the 'Star Spangled Banner' and the War of 1812, we are also commemorating the Battle of Bladensburg, as well as many other 'incidents' of the war. Although we did lose that battle, it holds historical significance with respect to the war and the capture of Washington. History does not differentiate between wins and losses; keeping the entire conflict in perspective is why we do it.

I'm at Fort McHenry right now getting geared up for Bladensburg tomorrow, where I will be part of the 6-pounder gun crew.[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff but maybe I got my threads mixed up small canons at the time weren't much different than Civil war other than the LARGE semi fixed shore batteries at McHenry and shipboard.???

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Yes you are absolutely correct and after all this time I still confuse Hamilton and Decatur for some reason. And Decatur was shot by James Barron. So The two Naval officers one killed by Burr, one by Barron..gets confusing. The land that sits between 37th ave and Bladensburg road was actually part of Fort Lincoln Cemetery which connected DC to a little town named Colmar Manor. The Colmar stood for COL from Columbia and MAR from Maryland. My wifes grandfather was a grave digger for the cemetery, and bought one of the houses they built for caretakers. Many years later, we purchased the one that joined the small parcel declared historic, that they had declared the dueling grounds. Spent many nights looking for ghosts...nothing but the occasional gunshots to be heard from DC !
    I took my daughter to the grounds once when she was about eight. You are correct - it's right there in tiny Colmar Manor, next to the Burger King and across the street from the town of Cottage City. Not much but an old historic marker. An dirty creek with lots of malt liquor cans and other garbage belie the history from days of old.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Across the Bay near Tolchester in Caulk's Field about a mile inland, British Marines were repelled by the locals. There will be a re-inactment there next weekend.

A few miles up the Bay at Worton Creek, a landing party of a half dozen or so barges came into Worton Creek - into an ambush after they negotiated the narrow inlet at Green Point. 24 men at oars rowed in, only 6 rowers made it back out.

Farther up the Bay on the Sassafras River, the twin towns of Georgetown/Fredericktown were burned, except for the inn run by Miss Kitty Knight. Its rumored that Miss Knight may have been acquainted with the British captain. ;) The Kitty Knight House is still in business as a restaurant.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009

I'm at Fort McHenry right now getting geared up for Bladensburg tomorrow, where I will be part of the 6-pounder gun crew.[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff but maybe I got my threads mixed up small canons at the time weren't much different than Civil war other than the LARGE semi fixed shore batteries at McHenry and shipboard.???
    Abslutely true. Artillery is HEAVY. Absent well-maintained roads, moving the big guns from one point to another was a logistical nightmare, especially when taking into consideration weather and terrain, not to mention the availability of teams of oxen to move unwieldy objects weighing in many cases, tens of thousands of pounds. Hauling a relatively small six-pounder and limber through fields, pastures, and woods is an excruciating exercise in constant frustration under the best conditions. 18- and 24- pounders, etc., simply were not part of the equation.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Across the Bay near Tolchester in Caulk's Field about a mile inland, British Marines were repelled by the locals. There will be a re-inactment there next weekend.

We will be there as well with the six-pounder. We also will be in the parade in Chestertown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom