• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Jaybeez is right, I was only half serious about the C&R. It is not necessary to have one to buy a handgun and it would be a good idea for you to know firearms better before you start buying dozens of them.
    However, you would not have to start buying right away and some good C&R guns for a beginner to begin with can be had by using the C&R. It would be something that a few months down the road with some firearms education, experience and "the bug" you will be glad you had so you can build your collection or your new hobby.

Keep it in mind when you are ready.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Where in Harford County are you? Debra over at Docs Guns in Churchville has good prices and will order you something if she doesn't have it. Over in Fallston there is Bel Air Gun and Pawn (hit or miss) and then further down in White Marsh is Dan from Gun Connection (on this board).

To buy a handgun, first pick one out and then you have to watch a firearm safety video (you can do this on the net) and receive a number. Then you fill out the paperwork and wait a week or so to pick it up.

If this is your first purchase, are you sure that you want to stick with a handgun? Many are buying up "assault rifles" in the anticipation that they will be banned. It would be helpful to know what kind of shooting you are interested in as well as how much you were going to get into shooting. If you are set on a handgun, will you be the only one using it? You have to go to stores and get your hands on them to see what feels comfortable. There's a whole bunch of members here from Harford County so ask for help if you need it.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the C&R application?

He was being funny, it has nothing to do with you owning a modern firearm.

A .357 is an excellent choice and there are many good manufacturers out there. The longer the barrel you get, the more comfortable it will be to shoot at the range. My second gun was a Taurus .357 with a 6" ported barrel. If you have the money, I would recommend a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Whatever you do, stick to Doc's or Gun Connection, steer clear of BelAir Gun and Pawn in belair road. They are one of the shops in Harford County that need to be put out of business.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    i will warn you now if you don't want to stay broke don't get your c&r :D

He aint lying.... Oo brother he aint lying. I just went through the list today looking up guns n highlighting ones I want now or in the near future. The book is now glowing yellow.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Thanks for the support guys. Im in Abingdon. What do you guys think of the Taurus 66 7shot? Ive read some good things about them.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    i will warn you now if you don't want to stay broke don't get your c&r :D

Oh, now you tell me. My application is signed, sealed and ready to go first thing tomorrow.

'S okay, I can deal with it, just a couple revolvers in .32 S&W and maybe an autoloader in .32 ACP... just another good reason to stay off the damn cigarettes...

fish67

Nov 13, 2008
    I recently went through the same decision process. I ended up with a S&W 686 .357 6"

I chose the revolver since it is a reliable alternative.
    It won't fail to eject and if it fails to fire then you simply pull the trigger again.
    It is nice to be able to use the slightly less expensive .38 special for range use.
    I looked at the 3", 4" and 6" -- chose the 6" for less recoil if/when my wife needs to use it.

Your decision process might differ and there are many reasons for other alternatives, this choice just made the most sense for me.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have sold and shot a lot ofTaurus handguns over the years. The new style they are making now,seem to work just fine. Lifetime warranty and a built in lock make for a good bargain.
    When I have sent firearms back for repairs, they are returned quickly and with the repairs done right.
    Accuracy seems to be on par with the other companies

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    I have the Smith 686 too and love it,but the Ruger is built like a tank dependable and almost as nice as the Smith for a budget gun. I think the trigger is a little smoother on the Smith though.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Hi, I just found the site while whie I was doing some searching online. I dont own a firearm yet, but am looking to get one soon.
    First any suggestions for a first handgun. Primarliy is going to be for home defense, but I would like to go to a shooting range and actualy use, instead of waiting to see IF I have to.
    Have been considering a 357. Most things ive read state a revolver is best for defense. And you need somthing with some stopping power. And I like the idea of being able to go to a shooting range and being able to use 38 rounds which i believe are less expensive.
    Also anything I need to know about the purchase proces, laws in maryland, or rights in general. I did read a thread on here how the state police tried to raid a gentlemans house based on ammunition he bought using his ID and signing some sort of log.
    Sorry for the long posts. I just want to do things right. Any and all suggestions, and comments are welcome and apreciated.. Not sure if I posted this in the right place, if I didnt sorry, but i am in harford county.

Whatever you decide, inquire about taking a NRA class with 3rd Recon to ensure you are safe and understand how to handle your chosen firearm.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    I went to Gun Connection, based on all the great recomendations here on the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom