• 11956.jpg
      11956.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 167
    • 11954.jpg
      11954.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 166

mattsomer

Nov 14, 2010
    Some ducks showed up. Got my first Pintail. We had some real nice drake golden eyes and some black ducks decoy. Great day especially since it was so warm and sunny.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
      IMG_0215.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 169

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    We ended up with 13 red heads and 3 buffle heads.
    One of the red heads I got had a band. 2nd one we got this season

Date 04/05/2014
    Species Redhead
    Age HATCHED IN 2013 OR EARLIER
    Sex MALE
    Location NEAR PORT ROWAN, ONTARIO, CANADA

Last edited:

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Last day, Wasn't good weather for birds today but we still managed to get 18. Could of limited out on Hooded mergansers, they tolled in left and right, but we don't eat them.

Attachments

• 12110[1].jpg
      12110[1].jpg
      79 KB · Views: 139
    • 12114[1].jpg
      12114[1].jpg
      131.6 KB · Views: 137
    • 12112[1].jpg
      12112[1].jpg
      187.1 KB · Views: 132

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    The quack yak did it again. Had a goose limit at first shooting light.

Attachments

• 05B9A781-6E39-40F4-8915-63A2AC75DEF6.jpeg
      05B9A781-6E39-40F4-8915-63A2AC75DEF6.jpeg
      69.1 KB · Views: 132

mattsomer

Nov 14, 2010
    You body boot when you hunt there? I've done it once and it may have been the most miserable waterfowl hunt of my life and I hunt a ton.
    I do body boot. its my favorite way to hunt. You just go into it know your going to be wet and frozen all day. It can be just down right miserable. I did get frost bite a couple years ago booting. However when 100 Cans decoys at 5 yards its well work the suck.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was not familiar with the term "body booting" until now and after about 30 minutes of reading about it online, it looks fun as hell! I think I've technically done this a couple times when I've shot birds while standing in waders in the spread to adjust decoys...and I've done layout blinds in a field and layout boats on the Bay, but this technique of standing in the water on purpose sounds pretty cool.

Do most people just wear waders or do you get an actual wet suit (or dry suit?)? How do you keep your gun dry?Looks like some people build a big decoy with a little gun rack and hide behind it? This is all very intriguing.

Do you have to get an offshore blind permit to do it? I'm thinking not as long as you have a shore blind permitted and you're standing a little ways out from the shore, or if you're on public land where a blind permit is not required.

Sort of on the same topic, how do you all think tides affect how ducks decoy/move? I hunt from shore blinds on the tidal Potomac and always think about the wind direction when setting decoys but honestly have never really considered how the tide might affect things.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I was not familiar with the term "body booting" until now and after about 30 minutes of reading about it online, it looks fun as hell! I think I've technically done this a couple times when I've shot birds while standing in waders in the spread to adjust decoys...and I've done layout blinds in a field and layout boats on the Bay, but this technique of standing in the water on purpose sounds pretty cool.

Do most people just wear waders or do you get an actual wet suit (or dry suit?)? How do you keep your gun dry?Looks like some people build a big decoy with a little gun rack and hide behind it? This is all very intriguing.

Do you have to get an offshore blind permit to do it? I'm thinking not as long as you have a shore blind permitted and you're standing a little ways out from the shore, or if you're on public land where a blind permit is not required.

Sort of on the same topic, how do you all think tides affect how ducks decoy/move? I hunt from shore blinds on the tidal Potomac and always think about the wind direction when setting decoys but honestly have never really considered how the tide might affect things.

We did it in dry suits in water up to my chest (I'm 6'2"). It's basically standing in chest deep cold water for 6-10 hours at a time. We had giant Canada silhouettes on stick up poles with small hooks on the back for our guns. We also didn't shoot many birds which is why my memory of it sucks . I've swamped waders, frozen my fingers and been downright miserable but if the birds show that's all you remember.

mattsomer

Nov 14, 2010

Its a popular way of hunting in the flats. We set up a very large spread around swan decoys. Wear all while and hide in with the swan decoys. Here are some pics. I wear insulted waders. I have seen other people wear survival suits but I have trouble swinging a gun in them. You go into it knowing you are going to be cold and wet all day.

Attachments

• 20190112_132742.jpg
      20190112_132742.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 164

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads