• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The lowered limits prior to the nineties moratorium is what brought Sporting Clays to the shore. Several of the guides built ranges so they could offer package deals...morning hunt, lunch, afternoon round of clays. Tommy Dodd in Queenstown and Johnny George of J&P in Sudlersville come to mind.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Think I shot the course that Tommy Dodd set up. Went there with a buddy from law school who told me that the guy was a guide. Told me that he had also been charged with a ton of violations by the feds several years ago. Wondering if it is the same guy/course. We shot that course in the morning, and then drove to J&P and shot that course in the afternoon. J&P was a lot nicer of a course.

Sporting clays is probably the result of a lot less hunting opportunities for those of us that grew up hunting whenever we wanted. I so need to buy a farm to get over that hump. Then again, might need to have my kids grow up a little more before I can get out and hunt more.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Think I shot the course that Tommy Dodd set up. Went there with a buddy from law school who told me that the guy was a guide. Told me that he had also been charged with a ton of violations by the feds several years ago. Wondering if it is the same guy/course. We shot that course in the morning, and then drove to J&P and shot that course in the afternoon. J&P was a lot nicer of a course.

Sporting clays is probably the result of a lot less hunting opportunities for those of us that grew up hunting whenever we wanted. I so need to buy a farm to get over that hump. Then again, might need to have my kids grow up a little more before I can get out and hunt more.

Tommy Dodd's was literally across the street from Pintail Point. He closed when they opened. Rumors were that Pintail offered him the job running thier course, but they had a falling out.

Yes, J&P was the premiere course on the shore in my opinion. Johnny and Penny were top notch people and ran the operation that way. Johnny passed away from Cancer shortly after they closed. Do you remember the Yellow Labs they had hanging around all the time? They were my lab Ranger's mom and dad!! My biggest regret with him was he was in his prime during the 90's moratorium.

7ee986df4b774b21e25263ae192d6af8.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Tommy Dodd's was literally across the street from Pintail Point. He closed when they opened. Rumors were that Pintail offered him the job running thier course, but they had a falling out.

Yes, J&P was the premiere course on the shore in my opinion. Johnny and Penny were top notch people and ran the operation that way. Johnny passed away from Cancer shortly after they closed. Do you remember the Yellow Labs they had hanging around all the time? They were my lab Ranger's mom and dad!! My biggest regret with him was he was in his prime during the 90's moratorium.

7ee986df4b774b21e25263ae192d6af8.jpg

Yep, that was the course I shot. Pintail Pointe is pretty nice. Shot there a couple of times. If you are from the Queen Anne's area, maybe you know Carl Radtke. Shot Pintail with him and my dad and Carl beat me by a clay.

I remember the labs at J&P. Got my yellow from a breeder in Queen Anne's. Augie Argabright. My boy passed on nearly two years ago. Sent Augie an e-mail to see if he is still breeding dogs and never heard back from him. Nitro's grandma, who was featured on ESPN retriever trials, was a Candlewood lab. So, debating heading out to Wisconsin for a couple of labs.

My biggest regret with Nitro was that I took hardly any field pics of him. Quite sad actually. Will not make that mistake with my next dog.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Yep, that was the course I shot. Pintail Pointe is pretty nice. Shot there a couple of times. If you are from the Queen Anne's area, maybe you know Carl Radtke. Shot Pintail with him and my dad and Carl beat me by a clay.

I remember the labs at J&P. Got my yellow from a breeder in Queen Anne's. Augie Argabright. My boy passed on nearly two years ago. Sent Augie an e-mail to see if he is still breeding dogs and never heard back from him. Nitro's grandma, who was featured on ESPN retriever trials, was a Candlewood lab. So, debating heading out to Wisconsin for a couple of labs.

My biggest regret with Nitro was that I took hardly any field pics of him. Quite sad actually. Will not make that mistake with my next dog.

Not originally from the shore, but lived outside of Federalsburg for four years ('89-'93), then on Kent Island for 11('93- '04).

Yeah, cameras weren't around as much as cell phones are now. I would have loved to had a video of Ranger doing his imitation of a submarine, as a 10 month old "trainee", retrieving a wounded duck off the bottom of the farm pond!! Including coming almost completely out of the water upon surfacing.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have about 1 billion of them in front of my window right now. I guess they weren't counted.

Guessing those are mostly resident birds, so that billion birds was left off the county. If you can legally shoot them in your front yard, you are golden. Pretty decent limit in western Maryland.

On Facebook I saw several pics of huge flocks, but, yes, there are times in MD when you might see 90% of all the birds migrating all at once. I bet Paul is seeing migratory birds; residents don't flock up like the migrators do.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    All dark meat and often gamey. Sort of an acquired taste; I love it.

It is, I used to cover it with Worcestershire and soy for others. I have since learned that curing goose changes it for the better more than any other meat I have seen. I have cured goose and deer and people prefer the goose over deer once cured. So Pastrami od goose it is now.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Simple rub with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss in the smoker. The key is to not overcook it. BB’s don’t ruin the meat, over cooking it does. Seriously you can barely recognize that it’s the same meat when you over cook it vs. getting it right on the sweet spot. I always tolerated goose until I got it right. Now I thoroughly enjoy it.

Attachments

• 4FC087E5-0311-4AE4-9127-934862852A38.jpg
      4FC087E5-0311-4AE4-9127-934862852A38.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 130
    • 265E3239-9F03-44A1-978F-D34C9F725E79.jpg
      265E3239-9F03-44A1-978F-D34C9F725E79.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 119

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I really enjoy goose meat. Hanging the geese in the feathers for 3-5 days as long as it's cold outside makes it much more tender. I usually just cook it in a pan in butter and oil like a steak. Salt/pepper/worchestershire and it's good to go. Smoking the whole bird is also really good if you are patient enough to pluck it.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I usually only get out a few times as a guest or winning member of an auction. For me it will be interesting to see what guides/outfitters do as a result. Just give it up, lower their rates, or include duck with goose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom