what is the most usuable 19th century rifle to buy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    With any luck, the Democrat MGA or ATF or FBI will see this thread and hopefully put an end to some of our antique and muzzle loading firearm freedoms.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Oh come on.

Mr. Oni, the OP describes himself as a "Military History Nut," and lists his collection in his sig line. He already has a bunch of guns:

Chinese type 53 carbine
    Chinese type 56 sks
    1908 brazilian 7mm mauser
    Czech vz 24 8mm mauser
    1930 hex reciever mosin nagant
    1937 mosin nagant
    1950 Mas 1936
    Marlin model 25 wtt for a 12 gauge shotgun
    Henry 22 lever
    Mossberg 44us

He already has plenty of 20th Century guns. It looks to me like he wants to expand more into the past than the future.

I realize it is hard for many to comprehend, but not everyone is interested in guns as practical weapons. Not everyone cares about the newest tactical model from Heckler and Koch. Not everybody cares about AR 15s or Glock 19s. Some people enjoy shooting for shooting's sake, not as preparation for Close Quarters Battle. Some people really care about the history, and want to experience that history by actually using the old technology.

I remember years ago when I first joined the North-South Skirmish Association (a target shooting organization), I showed my new Parker Hale Three Band Pattern 1853 .577 musket to my brother in law, who had served as a combat rifleman in Viet Nam. After politely admiring the ungainly muzzleloader, he handed it back with the comment, "Not much good in an ambush, though."

No, not much good in a jungle ambush, but it is just the thing for busting hanging clay pots or 4" tiles in the musket matches on the N-SSA range. And in it's day, it held Marye's Heights and the Bloody Angle.

Different perspective on totally different purposes. I challenge you to broaden your perspective.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    I see nothing nefarious in the OP's quest for 19th century firearms. L-O-T-S of people buy Antique firearms as an extremely legal way of bypassing the NICS system. The ATF has deemed Pre-1899 firearms as Non-firearms. Folks will happily and unapologetically take advantage of that government generosity.

I hope the generousity continues. Especially with Sessions asking the ATF and FBI to look at current policy. I would hate to see any tax deals that involve the restructuring of our gun laws. Lots of Democrats see Pre-1899 purchases, with no background checks, as a gun buying loophole. And would like nothing more than to close it. As gun owners, we shouldn't be playing into their fears or help them with their destructive plans.

And it only makes sense that the OP would want ammunition for those antique rifles too. Cuzz guns are for shooting. I applaud the him for being interested in antique firearms and the history that comes with them. Not only are they a hoot to shoot, there is money to be made in them too.

:) Yes I wanted to know what I could buy without doing stupid paperwork and find readily available loaded ammo for. Sure lots of old ammo is still used today so I guess if I found a mosin dated before 1899 i could shoot it. Would love to have a Krag.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like a good bet

Your Brazilian M1908 is a model 1898 Mauser, as is your Czech vz 24. Your Mosins date to 1891.

Do you want something made in the 1800s? Or something designed in the 1800s? Or both?

Most of our firearms technology, and many designs, date to the 19th Century.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Oh come on.

Mr. Oni, the OP describes himself as a "Military History Nut," and lists his collection in his sig line. He already has a bunch of guns:

He already has plenty of 20th Century guns. It looks to me like he wants to expand more into the past than the future.

I realize it is hard for many to comprehend, but not everyone is interested in guns as practical weapons. Not everyone cares about the newest tactical model from Heckler and Koch. Not everybody cares about AR 15s or Glock 19s. Some people enjoy shooting for shooting's sake, not as preparation for Close Quarters Battle. Some people really care about the history, and want to experience that history by actually using the old technology.

I remember years ago when I first joined the North-South Skirmish Association (a target shooting organization), I showed my new Parker Hale Three Band Pattern 1853 .577 musket to my brother in law, who had served as a combat rifleman in Viet Nam. After politely admiring the ungainly muzzleloader, he handed it back with the comment, "Not much good in an ambush, though."

No, not much good in a jungle ambush, but it is just the thing for busting hanging clay pots or 4" tiles in the musket matches on the N-SSA range. And in it's day, it held Marye's Heights and the Bloody Angle.

Different perspective on totally different purposes. I challenge you to broaden your perspective.

Good Post.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From Threeband"s perspective, analysing the OP's sig line . another Mosin is not the biggest hole .

You need a pre-1899 Lee-Enfield. More common in WWI era production, but they do go back to 1895-ish .Not uncommon ammo , good shooters.

And a lack of US Mil bolt actions . But Krags are harder to find , and ammo only has a limited production run once a year.

Trapdoor Springfield mentioned several times above.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Don't forget the Argentine Mauser Modelo 1891. Still can be had for a reasonable price. 7.65 X 53 is still available from Privi. Quite a rifle from the craftsmen at Lowe in Berlin.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My guess is this would be used to circumvent the NICS. I could be wrong, but when I hear people talking about pre 1899 rifles out of the blue, this gets my attention.

Only interested in a good gun with available ammo. No mention of collectability. Only interest is available ammo.

Interesting, interesting indeed.

:) Yes I wanted to know what I could buy without doing stupid paperwork and find readily available loaded ammo for. Sure lots of old ammo is still used today so I guess if I found a mosin dated before 1899 i could shoot it. Would love to have a Krag.

Excellent detective work, Agent Smith!:cop::bowdown:

I'm a little disappointed that this thread is about avoiding paperwork. I was really looking forward to learning something about collecting. Might as well look for an Agentine Mauser ;)

So let's say someone was interested in filling a few holes in their collection that were shaped kinda like a trapdoor and a Krag (maybe in both rifle and carbine configurations). If they wanted it to be a safe shooter, too, what would they look for? Obviously tight actions, and nothing bent, broken or missing...but are there any important details someone familiar with firearms but not these types specifically should look for? More importantly, what would they try to avoid? Are there any pitfalls (I'm thinking of things like Khyber Enfields or low numbered Springfields) that a casual collector needs to know about? That's kinda where I was hoping this thread would go so I could follow along and take notes :shrug:

What about those Mausers from Argentina :rasp:

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    What a great question and responses. I'm no gun expert, but my dad has a Winchester 25/20, 1892 Model (built in 1910 or so) that's great to shoot. So I'd vote lever action based on no experience with anything else :)

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The continued brouhaha over red tape and paperwork avoidance, on Non-Firearms that require no red tape and paperwork, is like reading a thread in an Anti-Gun forum.

Is this a new strain of BGOS?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Excellent detective work, Agent Smith!:cop::bowdown:

I'm a little disappointed that this thread is about avoiding paperwork. I was really looking forward to learning something about collecting. Might as well look for an Agentine Mauser ;)

So let's say someone was interested in filling a few holes in their collection that were shaped kinda like a trapdoor and a Krag (maybe in both rifle and carbine configurations). If they wanted it to be a safe shooter, too, what would they look for? Obviously tight actions, and nothing bent, broken or missing...but are there any important details someone familiar with firearms but not these types specifically should look for? More importantly, what would they try to avoid? Are there any pitfalls (I'm thinking of things like Khyber Enfields or low numbered Springfields) that a casual collector needs to know about? That's kinda where I was hoping this thread would go so I could follow along and take notes :shrug:

What about those Mausers from Argentina :rasp:

Make sure your Krag has not had the chamber altered for blanks and your trapdoor has not been cut down or shortened. Same with the Krag, a lot have been turned into carbines.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    To be very clear here thank you all for the responses :) I don't have any nefarious evil plans in asking that question Rather if i saw a nice rifle online at 1 am I could order it and have it shipped to my door. I don't reload ammo nor do i know anyone personally who does and I like the convinience of buying it. So yes I am kind of limited in the Rifles i could get. As for going backwards in time hell yes :) I would love to own a Dreyse needle rifle or a chassepot? I like military stuff so yes old is the way for me to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom