• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Military ammo can with a dessicant bag in each can. Stored in temp controlled basement. I have surplus ammo from the late 50s and reloads from my dad from the late 60s.. all still go bang.

And it continues. :D

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Military ammo can with a dessicant bag in each can. Stored in temp controlled basement. I have surplus ammo from the late 50s and reloads from my dad from the late 60s.. all still go bang.

But what size desiccant bags? 1lb or bigger? What ammo cans? 50Cal or the little 556 ones??? Geez I need to know!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But what size desiccant bags? 1lb or bigger? What ammo cans? 50Cal or the little 556 ones??? Geez I need to know!

Actually 5.56 came in the 50 cal size cans.

The smaller cans were for .30 cal.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Ok, but which one do I store my ammo in so I can sleep at night not worrying about it becoming unshootable?

Given the same quality, why would one be less effective than the other? Only difference would be weight when filled. There are threads addressing what to look for in ammo cans regarding quality

Get the reusable dessicant beads that change color when saturated with moisture. Recharges with time in microwave.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Given the same quality, why would one be less effective than the other? Only difference would be weight when filled. There are threads addressing what to look for in ammo cans regarding quality

Get the reusable dessicant beads that change color when saturated with moisture. Recharges with time in microwave.

I was being sarcastic. I didn't do the sarcasm emoji my bad.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ammo cans 50 or Fat 50's also 81mm mortar tubes come in handy
    for storage, stack nicely, air tight and waterproof. picked up a bunch decades ago...some here and some there..;);)

20210202_072457(1).jpg

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    I store my factory ammo in different size military ammo cans. Every so often we hear them pop. Like a gas build up and the can release the pressure. Has anyone ever hear of this? Oh, I've opened the cans and haven't seen anything wrong.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I store my factory ammo in different size military ammo cans. Every so often we hear them pop. Like a gas build up and the can release the pressure. Has anyone ever hear of this? Oh, I've opened the cans and haven't seen anything wrong.

I've heard the pop from empty cans.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland

Military ammo cans are air and watertight, if not damaged. The popping sound is the sides of the can flexing with temperature changes, it is from the pressure differences. If the can was closed when the temperature was 90 degrees and the temperature drops to 40 degrees, the can will pop. That is one of the major reasons it is sometimes difficult to open ammo cans, they have vacuum sealed.

On a side note, if the can pops or is difficult to open, it means the rubber seal is good.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am late to this tread but had "long term" been defined. Are we talking 5 years or 25 years? What I would like to know is how long can ammo just sit on a shelf in the box it came in before you should consider a different storage solution? I personally just put my ammo into 50cal steel containers right from the start because I never know how long it might be. I have shot ammo from 50 years ago and not had any issues this way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am late to this tread but had "long term" been defined. Are we talking 5 years or 25 years? What I would like to know is how long can ammo just sit on a shelf in the box it came in before you should consider a different storage solution? I personally just put my ammo into 50cal steel containers right from the start because I never know how long it might be. I have shot ammo from 50 years ago and not had any issues this way.

To many factors. Where and how is it stored still? In the original boxes in someone’s attic in Florida is going to last a fraction of the time as someone storing it in a humidity controlled basement in Alaska.

In a normal house with air conditioning used most of the hot and wet season, many decades before you’d worry about it being ruined. Probably centuries.

It’s how anal do you want to be. Modern smokeless powders is produced with buffering compounds and the priming chemicals are pretty stable on their own. They ARE temperature sensitive. Stored hit they’ll break down significantly faster than stored at room temperature. Let alone stored cool or cold. Humidity has a fairly small effect unless it is stored in a condensing environment or one with rapid temperature changes and high humidity (IE gets warm with high humidity while the ammo is cold, causing condensation in the casing).

Most people aren’t going to care about it lasting more than a few years or a decade or two. In which case, store it in your house. Done. It’ll probably still be fine half a century or more later without special precautions. But it’ll almost certainly be fine for 10-20 years.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    To many factors. Where and how is it stored still? In the original boxes in someone’s attic in Florida is going to last a fraction of the time as someone storing it in a humidity controlled basement in Alaska.

In a normal house with air conditioning used most of the hot and wet season, many decades before you’d worry about it being ruined. Probably centuries.

It’s how anal do you want to be. Modern smokeless powders is produced with buffering compounds and the priming chemicals are pretty stable on their own. They ARE temperature sensitive. Stored hit they’ll break down significantly faster than stored at room temperature. Let alone stored cool or cold. Humidity has a fairly small effect unless it is stored in a condensing environment or one with rapid temperature changes and high humidity (IE gets warm with high humidity while the ammo is cold, causing condensation in the casing).

Most people aren’t going to care about it lasting more than a few years or a decade or two. In which case, store it in your house. Done. It’ll probably still be fine half a century or more later without special precautions. But it’ll almost certainly be fine for 10-20 years.

Jesus! stop it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom