• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dennie Harne

Jan 13, 2021
    We had a good match today, hope to see this become a great place to shoot Steel Challenge. The price to shoot the match was very good. We need more shooters to come out to make this happen. It's in Thurmond MD. They already have great USPSA, Cowboy Action, and 2 Gun matches there plus more and they are well run. Steel Challenge is a great shooting sport check out on You Tube.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Braced pistols allowed? As in CZ Scorpion?

Sent using Tapatalk

For the purpose of this match, Yes. Let's have fun. :party29:

Keep in mind we have a velocity limit of 1500fps for the steel at our club.

Plus no steel core or bimetal jacketed pills. If the projectile attracts to a magnet, you can't use it. Steel cased ammo is fine but the projectile hitting our steel plates is what matters. I believe Tula has bimetal and maybe Wolf. I don't remember for sure but please check your ammo with a magnet before using on our steel. Thanks!

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    For the purpose of this match, Yes. Let's have fun. :party29:

Keep in mind we have a velocity limit of 1500fps for the steel at our club.

Plus no steel core or bimetal jacketed pills. If the projectile attracts to a magnet, you can't use it. Steel cased ammo is fine but the projectile hitting our steel plates is what matters. I believe Tula has bimetal and maybe Wolf. I don't remember for sure but please check your ammo with a magnet before using on our steel. Thanks!
    Thanks Jon. I am using brass at well under max velocity. See you then.

Sent using Tapatalk

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    When is the next Wednesday match ?? I can't make Saturday matches thanks

I'm looking at having them regularly on 2nd Wednesdays of each month. The next Wednesday match is planned for February 10th. I need to get these on the TCSC Calendar before I can put them in Practiscore.

Stay tuned. I'll be sure keep this thread updated.

Also keep monitoring the Practiscore "Thurmont TCSC Steel" club - https://practiscore.com/clubs/thurmont_tcsc_steel
    Both the Wednesday and weekend matches will be in Practiscore.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    You had a match on a Wednesday in January? Was it well attended?

It was a Practiscore "Private" 4 stage match so attendance was relatively low but we expected that. Was meant more as test run since the club hasn't had these matches before. At least not since I've been shooting there. I've been doing Steel Challenge and other Outlaw static steel matches for a number of years now. Apparently Dennie gives me good marks as he and his wife are signed up for the next one on the 23rd. :)

Future Wednesday matches will be made "Public" in Practiscore.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Sounds like fun. I'm not familiar with this format. Could you briefly describe the competition? What size steel plates at what distances? What position is the shooter - standing, sitting, prone, bench/rests etc.? Thanks.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Sounds like fun. I'm not familiar with this format. Could you briefly describe the competition? What size steel plates at what distances? What position is the shooter - standing, sitting, prone, bench/rests etc.? Thanks.

Each stage will have 4 standard plates and 1 stop plate. Some stages will have an additional "Option" plate.
    For these outlaw matches at Thurmont everyone will start standing in the shooting box at the low-ready pointing the gun at an aiming spot 10'(ish) in front of the shooting box.

--------------------------------------------------
    The game is simple:
    Shoot the 4 standard plates first (makeup shots are allowed) and then the Stop plate last.
    Do this 5 times (5 strings) per stage and throw out the worst time.
    Each plate not hit before the stop plate count as a miss and adds 3 seconds to your string time per miss.
    For stages with an "Option" plate, if hit before the stop plate 2 seconds is deducted from your time.
    Maximim time (par time) for any stage is 30 seconds.
    --------------------------------------------------

Only one stage configuration (Outer Limits) has movement while on the clock and that is all of 6 feet between the two shooting boxes. That stage will only have 4 strings and worst is thrown out.

The matches will generally have between 3 and 6, sometimes more, different stages with. Official Steel Challenge has only 8 defined stage configurations. This allows competitors to actually practice the stages if they have the steel and/or facilities to do so. For now, our matches are outlaw matches with the stages based on the Steel Challenge stages and Rimfire Challenge stages mainly because we don't have the proper plates for Steel Challenge. Rimfire Challenge rules offer a lot of leeway on stage design to include option plates.

Some might say standing in one spot shooting at 5 static plates is boring.
    As MEGARMS noted it is like drag racing with guns. Anyone can drive down the road 1/4 mile, and yes, that would be boring. But do that 5 times on the clock as fast as you can while staying in your lane and comparing your times with your previous times or others in your division... That's exhilarating.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Very cool.
    I have a Browning Buck Mark Target 5.5 22LR set up with a 3X Burris scope mounted on high rings that permit use of the iron sights. Would a quick forward drawing holster (not sure what they are called) as shown in the video be required? I have no holster for this heavy somewhat awkward gun. Otherwise, what equipment would be needed to compete?

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Very cool.
    I have a Browning Buck Mark Target 5.5 22LR set up with a 3X Burris scope mounted on high rings that permit use of the iron sights. Would a quick forward drawing holster (not sure what they are called) as shown in the video be required? I have no holster for this heavy somewhat awkward gun. Otherwise, what equipment would be needed to compete?

No holster, for any division, is required at the outlaw steel matches we are holding.
    That is why everyone is starting at the Low-Ready vs. drawing from holster.
    Steel Challenge doesn't require holsters for rimfire handguns by rule.
    Just bring the cased gun to the shooting position when called and wait for the Range Officer's command to "Make Ready" before uncasing the gun.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No holster, for any division, is required at the outlaw steel matches we are holding.
    That is why everyone is starting at the Low-Ready vs. drawing from holster.
    Steel Challenge doesn't require holsters for rimfire handguns by rule.
    Just bring the cased gun to the shooting position when called and wait for the Range Officer's command to "Make Ready" before uncasing the gun.

Are you saying that everyone shooting these matches doesn't have or doesn't want to use holsters for their guns or that it is a requirement not to use a holster? Little confused by your wording.

I'm very familiar with SC, just trying to get a feel for what's happening up at Thurmont.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Are you saying that everyone shooting these matches doesn't have or doesn't want to use holsters for their guns or that it is a requirement not to use a holster? Little confused by your wording.

I'm very familiar with SC, just trying to get a feel for what's happening up at Thurmont.

They are starting from Low Ready. Which means you can keep your gun in a zipped up rug or bag between stages, no need for a holster.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    They are starting from Low Ready. Which means you can keep your gun in a zipped up rug or bag between stages, no need for a holster.

Correct, no holster starts at these matches. If/when they are Official SC matches then centerfire handguns would start from surrender holster draw and rimfire from Low Ready.
    But for these outlaw matches everyone starts from Low Ready regardless of rimfire/centerfire.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD

Requirement to not use a holster.
    Since you’re already familiar with SC I really think you will like these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom