• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Anybody else have trouble deciding which guns to take to the range? Seems like I always take too many or have too much stuff to lug from the car. Range bag with pistols and ammo, targets, spotting scope and mount, rifle/s. I thought once I joined a range and could go whenever I want, I wouldn't take so much every trip. What is a typical load for you?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, I think this is a common problem. I maintain a spreadsheet in Google Sheets that I use to determine which firearms need to be brought out for zero'ing, function check, etc. Obviously, such guns are prioritized. After that, it's more of a decision about what skill I need to work on.

Stuff I always bring:
    1. Eye/ear protection.
    2. Pro timer.
    3. Lube.
    4. Cleaning rod (for poking out stuck rounds)
    5. Multi-tool.
    6. Medical (even if it's just a boo-boo kit).
    7. Appropriate targets.

The rest of it totally depends on what I'm trying to do, and where. My long-distance load-out looks totally different than my "tactical-distance" carbine load-out, and shotgun is just its own animal. I'll pack a magnetospeed if I'm trying to chrono loads. Maybe a Kestrel if I'm shooting outside. It is very rare for me not to bring a pistol and do some holster work on every range outing, because pistol skills are so perishable.

It is relatively rare for me to bring more than two pistols and two long guns with me on any range trip. I've done three long guns at AGC before, but I hate running back and forth from my car.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Few of us would see more guns as in any way a bad thing. But there's no free lunch, and figuring out what to take and having more to maintain isn't the only downside. Another thing that can happen with more guns is you become less proficient with any of them, than you otherwise might be. To me, this is the one downside that's most important to try to guard against.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Two rifle cases, one 4 gun pistol case, and accessories (ammo, eyes, ears, targets...)

That is what I can carry in two trips to the car and that always seems to be enough.

Unless I am bringing new shooters, in which case they can carry what they want to shoot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    much depends on why I am going, have a private range 2 miles away, so easy to go often or on the way to/from things. Most of the time i just put a box of ammo through a carry gun, or sight in something, so done in 15min. Although on occasion i might bring a trunk full of gear if I am instructing or someone wants to spend a few hours there.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    Earpro, eyepro, gloves, trauma kit, otis field kit with clp or mpro7, notepad, pen, multitool, water, snacks, lead wipes. That's my "every time kit". It fits in a backpack. I also throw a ton of full mags in there.

I carry outdoor targets(and patches) in mailer tubes but buy em if I'm going indoor. I would add spotting scope, shell catcher, and sandbags/rests if I had long range optics. Then, just decide what lead slinger(s) you will bring, load a bunch of mags beforehand and party on. You should be able to fit an "every time kit" and maybe mags in a backpack and just bring whatever shooter(s) in their designated cases or multicases. This way you're not leaving cases or packs unguarded and you can carry everything in one go.

Shooting hasn't made it over to my expensive hobby realm yet. If I did have a million guns, I would still only take 1 or 2 to the range due to my limited attention span and proximity to ranges.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Firearms: It will depend on who is going with me or not (give them choices). ALWAYS my S&W M&P .45 as it is my HD gun and i always finish my shooting with it. Otherwise i pick anything new (or close to new) and then something fun.

Range bag has eyes, ears, ammo (based on guns), magazines, a couple tools, barrel snakes and Lula's.
    Briefcase has targets, stapler, target spots, notebook, pens and extra staples.
    Target frame

I park 20-30 feet or so from shooting points, so it isn't a problem to make more than 2 trips.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    With a collection of my size and scope I try to do a "theme day" to help make the decision easier. One day it could be French autoloaders like the MAS 49 & 49/56. The next session it's Finn MNs. Or US .30 cal with a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Springfield 1922 and MAS 45 .22 trainers if I'm lazy/tired and don't want to chase brass or walk all the way to the backstop. Whatever fits my mood that day.

I wish I have all the cool stuff many of you have. I take my Glock 30S and a 9mm of choice. I never feel like carrying a rifle and/or shotgun. I saw a guy at the range on Saturday and I thought he was either homeless (with all his possessions, bags, carts, etc.) or he was moving. With all the varying bullets and targets...once I get set up, I'm ready for a nap.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    I'm considering a small handtruck and tote for gun and gear carry. One trip instead of 2-3. Ya Never can have Too much stuff with you!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I'm taking multiple firearms, I use my fold up wagon to carry my stuff in. Otherwise, it's either one range bag, or one soft long gun case. I get to shoot about 6-7 times a week at a range that has stairs to get in, so I can't use my wagon there.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    With a collection of my size and scope I try to do a "theme day" to help make the decision easier. One day it could be French autoloaders like the MAS 49 & 49/56. The next session it's Finn MNs. Or US .30 cal with a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Springfield 1922 and MAS 45 .22 trainers if I'm lazy/tired and don't want to chase brass or walk all the way to the backstop. Whatever fits my mood that day.

This ^^^^ When I do "theme days" it might be just Sigs, or just Glocks or the first four guns I purchased years ago. Sometimes it's a caliber theme.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I struggle with this every time, mostly because of how many bags/cases I have needed to take. I found this bag which allowed me to carry 2 AR's (a 16 inch and a 10.3), 5 pistols and magazines for everything. Note that you will need the 34 in bag to carry a 16in AR, and it just barely fits with stock collapsed.

The case is one of the best i've seen and is also discreet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T823N7R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I carry in one hand my Range Bag for pistols etc. In my other hand the ammo can. If I bring my rifle in a soft long case, it has a sling and I carry it over my shoulder. I alternate guns, but bring at least one center-fire and one .22

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I typically group them together.

Some days it's " 'Merica " rifle day, and all my ARs see action. Others its "commie" day and the AK, SKS, and VZ come out.

Other days, it can be ".22" day and the 10/22 and 15-22 see the light.

As of late, it's been "Ruger Day" where the PC Carbine, Mini 14 and 10/22 make an appearance together.

Just depends on my mood. And if I change my mind, I live 10 mins from AGC. :D

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm getting better. I used to take a little of everything...now I usually take the pistol I carry and 2 other handguns or 2 rimfire or AR/mini 14.
    I tend to run a few magazines through the carry pistol and then focus on a type of firearm.
    I can't remember the last time I took a shotty or something like a .308.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I'm getting better. I used to take a little of everything...now I usually take the pistol I carry and 2 other handguns or 2 rimfire or AR/mini 14.
    I tend to run a few magazines through the carry pistol and then focus on a type of firearm.
    I can't remember the last time I took a shotty or something like a .308.

I am really starting to dig my Mini 14.... It fires everything I feed it, and sends brass into the next county. I wish I had one sooner, but glad I got this one, it was on "fire sale" for $725 new for the tactical model. Synthetic stock but that is OK. Nice and light.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Usually at least two rifles, rarely more than four.

As for toting gear- it's a 100 yard walk to our 100 yard benches from the parking lot and about the same distance to the rimfire range. I solved the hassle of schlepping a ton of stuff via multiple trips by buying a cheap beach buggy/wagon. It's bigger than the average Radio Flyer, with big fat wheels for "terrain crawling", and folds up into a package the size of a large suitcase. All my junk and guns fit into it, and life is good. Cost- $50 and change with free shipping, eBay. Even if it craps out after a year or two it would be no big deal to trash it and buy another one.

The wagon, heavy-assed bench rest+sand bags, targets, spotting scope tripod, etc. stay in the trunk of my Saab with a ton of room to spare for everyday non-shooting usage- the only things that goes back in the house are the guns and range bag with ammo, spotting scope, and miscellaneous paraphernalia.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    +1 for the tote/wagon. I don't get to the range enough so I tend to take too much. Better to have it not need it than to need it and not have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom