• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -At any given time I have from 100-150 auction lots bookmarked to watch for hammer prices. It's my way of keeping up with the market. Sometimes an item just plain jumps out as waaay out of the norm.
    -This weekend I was watching a H&R MC58 lot in a live/online auction. This is the USMC version built in the late 50s. Most of the ones I've seen for sale are in excellent condition and typical prices hover around $1k.
    -The lot I was watching had spare mags and the original shipping box. Looked to be a 98-99 point example, perhaps unissued, hard to tell. Pre-auction estimate was $1100-1600, pretty much in line with where I would have put it. When the dust cleared it sold for a jaw-dropping $11,542.50 with the premium. I've seen two people get a hard-on for something and go at it but this one took the cake. You'd have thought it belonged to Chesty Puller himself.
    3658.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've succumbed to auction fever myself, but fortunately (I guess) I don't have enough funding for a x10 overbid on anything costing more than fifty bucks or so.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    someone with more $ than cents.

Is it just me or does the box look too small for the rifle? or is it shipped disassembled?

Jul 1, 2012
    Holy Crap!

This was one of the small batch of MC-58's CMP sold at auction in 2003 (?), never issued, still in the original box.
    It was not "arsenal refurbished" as the listing indicated.

The box looks smaller due to optical illusion I suspect, they weren't shipped disassembled.

Note the label calls it a Model 65 but the receiver is stamped both Model 65 and Model MC-58 which causes no end of confusion.

RIA's estimate was a little low but $2500 (hammer) would have been my max guess.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 288
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      43.3 KB · Views: 331
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      39.7 KB · Views: 292

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Holy Crap!

This was one of the small batch of MC-58's CMP sold at auction in 2003 (?), never issued, still in the original box.
    It was not "arsenal refurbished" as the listing indicated.

The box looks smaller due to optical illusion I suspect, they weren't shipped disassembled.

Note the label calls it a Model 65 but the receiver is stamped both Model 65 and Model MC-58 which causes no end of confusion.

RIA's estimate was a little low but $2500 (hammer) would have been my max guess.

There you go my friend, perhaps time to consign yours to RIA! There's at least one other person willing to pay approx $11k for one of these (the fellow who was "knocking at the back door" in this auction).
    Do you remember what they sold for back in 2003?

Jul 1, 2012
    Do you remember what they sold for back in 2003?

Way before my collecting efforts started...from this Gunboards thread below (post dated 2009):
    "up to over $2700 for a new in the box rifles (sic) at a Civilian Marksmanship auction"
    In that thread he also stated that CMP auctioned off about 70.
    I suspect that's all that exist "NIB", or around that number anyway.
    They only made 3500 of these total.

This is the most comprehensive thread on these I've found...it wanders off-topic (ala MDS) but has a lot of good info and pics.
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?7303

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for the link! I missed the boat in 2003, probably was still deep in Enfield .22 collecting at that time. US trainers didn't show up on my radar until about 5 yrs ago. But $2700 back in 2003 was still a lot of coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom