• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I'm in the boat of having a father who didn't hunt so I never learned as a kid. Now I'm in my mid-30s and looking to get in to the sport. I've completed Hunter Ed, have a license but missed the MD Mentored Hunt Program this season. Any tips for finding someone willing to take a newbie out of MoCo out and showing the ropes? I suppose this is as good a forum to post a request.
    What type of hunting are you interested in? What game are you looking for and what type of equipment?

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    What type of hunting are you interested in? What game are you looking for and what type of equipment?

Whitetail with a crossbow, primarily. I have a M1a Scout in .308 and ARs in .223, among other guns, but admittedly neither are "traditional" bolt action hunting rifles. I'd be open to anything, really, but I don't have a shotgun. Yet.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Whitetail with a crossbow, primarily. I have a M1a Scout in .308 and ARs in .223, among other guns, but admittedly neither are "traditional" bolt action hunting rifles. I'd be open to anything, really, but I don't have a shotgun. Yet.
    Gotcha. Im a true novice at bow hunting. This is my first year doing archery. Ive been thinking of getting a crossbow myself.

Other than that i do muzzleload for deer and small game hunting primarily with occasionally going out for grouse and other birds

Dont really need "traditional" bolt actions. Just something that works haha

I wish i could offer to be a mentor to you but i hardly get out and still am pretty novice myself only recently having repicked up the sport.

What part of moco are you?

Monacacy wma river road isnt far. Frederick municipal forest, while i havent had much luck, is a beautiful place to comb around for small game, grouse, or deer or just set up and wait.
    Cunningham falls

Im in baltimore county. Here we have a couple bow hunting places where i think you can use crossbow.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Get a muzzleloader. You can use it during the early and late muzzleloader seasons as well as the firearm season. One firearm purchase does double duty.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

When you buy a crossbow, Maryland minimum is 75 pound draw. Stay midrange for speed which is 325 feet per second. Which means cams, not to many recurve crossbows get into that speed range.

Look at the begining of next year for the Maryland Bow Hunter education class. They are offered starting in the spring through the summer and into the fall.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Good point! they are so satisfying to shoot! But lots of clean up

Not if you have one rated for smokeless powder. ;)
    Savage no longer makes the one I have, 10 ml ii. And they ain't cheap in the aftermarket. Here is one with 6 days left on gunbroker, not a bad starting price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792203784

The ad says the owner has "moved on to another precision smokeless muzzleloader " so there must be someone else out there making them.

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    When you buy a crossbow, Maryland minimum is 75 pound draw. Stay midrange for speed which is 325 feet per second. Which means cams, not to many recurve crossbows get into that speed range.

Look at the begining of next year for the Maryland Bow Hunter education class. They are offered starting in the spring through the summer and into the fall.

Thanks for the advice. I have an Excalibur Micro Suppressor which meets those specs. I'll keep an eye out for the bow hunter class. I didn't know there was one!

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Lost my hunting locations in MD, VA, and WV because the land was sold to developers. I have not hunted public land in 30 yrs. Might do so now based on these responses.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    All too true. My dad didn’t hunt, my exposure as a kid was through friends, but st least enough that the interest stuck. I took a lot of years off with four kids being born but my oldest (ten) getting interested has been all the push I needed; and he has the bug in a big way. My wife is from the whacky liberal coast, and I am essentially in suburbia (ugh), but I am glad to be teaching my boy the sport and even number two child (she is a borderline vegetarian) wants to try it next year.

Don’t let the PETA hippies and liberal loons guide the conversation by framing the debate the way that VOX trash does.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I'm in the boat of having a father who didn't hunt so I never learned as a kid. Now I'm in my mid-30s and looking to get in to the sport. I've completed Hunter Ed, have a license but missed the MD Mentored Hunt Program this season. Any tips for finding someone willing to take a newbie out of MoCo out and showing the ropes? I suppose this is as good a forum to post a request.

I tookmy Hunter Ed course also this year but didn't get a license this year. Will spend next summer scouting various public lands and shooting my bow and shotgun at th range. Also looking to purchase a muzzleloader and maybe a rifle and hopefully will get selected for the mentor program next year

Thanks for the advice. I have an Excalibur Micro Suppressor which meets those specs. I'll keep an eye out for the bow hunter class. I didn't know there was one!

Also took the bow hunter course but its more of a bow hunter safety course, basically went over lots of stuff in Hunter Ed course with an emphasis on archery. They do qualify you on the range so that you can use your bow on certain hunts where you must be qualified.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back when the wife was still the GF , we went hunting . The daughter has been hunting with me , but not inclined to go by herself .

Over the years attempted to recruit people from work who expressed some interest . But these are all people who work shifts and weekends . I could potentially convince them to take time off for the Hunting , but not for hunting And the Hunter Safety .

When I squeeze in a few hours , it's Landowner @ the Biggfoot Spread . When I'm in position to take off a week or so , I usually go to Va . Used to alternate years between Spotsy , and GWNF & adjacent. But after Shooting & Hunting Partner #3's untimely fatal boat accident, has been GWNF & adjacent .

Back in my formative years, Green Ridge looked like black friday @ WalMart wearing orange and moved to the woods . And Garrett Co was a longer haul than GWNF . But from the current reports , I'll have to reconsider , if work and $ ever free me up again .

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    No intrest to deer hunt on public land, i'll leave that to you all but... coyote, groundhogs and fox... I need to get out to public land and try it.. i would LOVE a spot that has/allows primitive camping near by. So i can camp in the woods for a day or 3.. while coyote hunting. Anyone know of a spot like that here in MD?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    No intrest to deer hunt on public land, i'll leave that to you all but... coyote, groundhogs and fox... I need to get out to public land and try it.. i would LOVE a spot that has/allows primitive camping near by. So i can camp in the woods for a day or 3.. while coyote hunting. Anyone know of a spot like that here in MD?

Think Green Ridge S F would meet those requirements. Well maybe not groundhogs so much. I'd like too find a spot close by to try for coyotes too.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Think Green Ridge S F would meet those requirements. Well maybe not groundhogs so much. I'd like too find a spot close by to try for coyotes too.
    Savage river too. You can hunt at cunninghamfalls and camp too but its crowded with non hunters too

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    This is an interesting topic as I have never hunted and don't have an interest in it. Growing up we fished.

My oldest son just turned 18 and is extremely interested but I don't have a legitimate avenue to show him the ropes and grow that interest.

He's the kid that would like everything about it. If anyone has a recommendation on a good place for him to learn feel free to PM me. I don't mean to hijack the thread so my apologies.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    This is an interesting topic as I have never hunted and don't have an interest in it. Growing up we fished.

My oldest son just turned 18 and is extremely interested but I don't have a legitimate avenue to show him the ropes and grow that interest.

He's the kid that would like everything about it. If anyone has a recommendation on a good place for him to learn feel free to PM me. I don't mean to hijack the thread so my apologies.

Go with him to a hunters education class. Maybe it’ll spark an interest for you too. And if not, it’s still good refresher training on safety. Plus there will be plenty of people to run questions and ideas through, plus an instructor. Stoney Creek Hunting & Fishing Club puts them on in Pasadena. And it’s a hunting club. I’m a member, and can vouch fromnfriends going. They do a good job. They have an internet version with a “field day” too, but for your specific needs I’d suggest a traditional class.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Go with him to a hunters education class. Maybe it’ll spark an interest for you too. And if not, it’s still good refresher training on safety. Plus there will be plenty of people to run questions and ideas through, plus an instructor. Stoney Creek Hunting & Fishing Club puts them on in Pasadena. And it’s a hunting club. I’m a member, and can vouch fromnfriends going. They do a good job. They have an internet version with a “field day” too, but for your specific needs I’d suggest a traditional class.

Excellent suggestion.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Great suggestion. If they have an affiliate club in Frederick that would probably encourage him to participate regularly.

I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom