• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    While putting my long gun back in the safe I lightly bumped the barrel against the safe and and now the barrel has some very small silver looking scratches.

Do I need to have the barrel re-blued? Or will be keeping the gun wiped down with silicon cloth before putting it up be enough to protect from rust?

Thank you for your help.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    It’s a tool brother. It’s going to get scratches and dents. It you wanted a shrine, get a display case dedicated for it and you won’t have as much risk of scratching it.

There Is a period in every gun owners life where they fret over every blemish as if it truly matters. It’s understandable and I’m not trying to be cruel. But at some point you either outgrow this phase or it consumes you to the point you no longer use your gun.

Very few guns ever become valuable enough to worry about stuff like this and by the time it does become apparent, any signs of use really don’t detract much at all. Unless it’s a super rare firearm in the first place, your gun won’t lose value over normal wear. Not in any appreciable way. If you ever want a reality check on how little those scratches mean, take it to a gun shop and have them give you an estimate on what they’ll pay for it. They won’t notice the scratches and it’s worth waaaay less than you paid. Even a private buyer isn’t going to say “I was gonna give you a grand but see these two little scratches? I can only give you $500”.

Your gun is a tool. It’s BEGGING to be used. It doesn’t want to sit in a dark safe, all lonely and neglected. It wants to go to cool places and make cool memories. Sometimes those memories cause a scratch or a dent. And as long as you aren’t abusing it, those signs of honest use are endearing. Not a single one of my favorite guns is pristine. Many of the blemishes have a story, each one gives my life more value than the initial investment of the gun itself. Moreover, I’d go crazy if I worried over little scratches and stuff. The sooner you embrace this outlook the more fun you’ll have.

No matter what, refinishing almost always reduces the value of any firearm far more than scratches and wear. So there’s that.

If your roscoe ever gets too beat up you can refinish it, though I’d recommend cerakote or duracoat over bluing. They are more resistant to scratches and also provide much more corrosion resistance. But you are a long way from “needing” that. If you refinish it every time you get a new blemish, you’ll just be chasing blemishes instead of enjoying your gun. Good luck.

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    It’s a tool brother. It’s going to get scratches and dents. It you wanted a shrine, get a display case dedicated for it and you won’t have as much risk of scratching it.

There Is a period in every gun owners life where they fret over every blemish as if it truly matters. It’s understandable and I’m not trying to be cruel. But at some point you either outgrow this phase or it consumes you to the point you no longer use your gun.

Very few guns ever become valuable enough to worry about stuff like this and by the time it does become apparent, any signs of use really don’t detract much at all. Unless it’s a super rare firearm in the first place, your gun won’t lose value over normal wear. Not in any appreciable way. If you ever want a reality check on how little those scratches mean, take it to a gun shop and have them give you an estimate on what they’ll pay for it. They won’t notice the scratches and it’s worth waaaay less than you paid. Even a private buyer isn’t going to say “I was gonna give you a grand but see these two little scratches? I can only give you $500”.

Your gun is a tool. It’s BEGGING to be used. It doesn’t want to sit in a dark safe, all lonely and neglected. It wants to go to cool places and make cool memories. Sometimes those memories cause a scratch or a dent. And as long as you aren’t abusing it, those signs of honest use are endearing. Not a single one of my favorite guns is pristine. Many of the blemishes have a story, each one gives my life more value than the initial investment of the gun itself. Moreover, I’d go crazy if I worried over little scratches and stuff. The sooner you embrace this outlook the more fun you’ll have.

No matter what, refinishing almost always reduces the value of any firearm far more than scratches and wear. So there’s that.

If your roscoe ever gets too beat up you can refinish it, though I’d recommend cerakote or duracoat over bluing. They are more resistant to scratches and also provide much more corrosion resistance. But you are a long way from “needing” that. If you refinish it every time you get a new blemish, you’ll just be chasing blemishes instead of enjoying your gun. Good luck.

Thank you for the thoughtful response and no offense taken, I love constructive criticism.

I was concerned about the gun rusting out or suffering some other sort of defect as a result of the blemishes more so than resale or keeping is pristine.

I do appreciate the reminder though that it is just a tool.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, after rolling my ATV down a mountain trail this past bear season...with my Weatherby strapped to it, it might need a "touch up". Actually, it was pretty much destroyed. I bought a .30 bore straightness gauge to make sure the barrel didn't bend, but I haven't gotten the nerve yet to check it. My plan is to(if it's straight) recrown, parkerize, and restock with a synthetic stock. It's gonna cost more than the rifle did, but I can't just throw it away.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Well, after rolling my ATV down a mountain trail this past bear season...with my Weatherby strapped to it, it might need a "touch up". Actually, it was pretty much destroyed. I bought a .30 bore straightness gauge to make sure the barrel didn't bend, but I haven't gotten the nerve yet to check it. My plan is to(if it's straight) recrown, parkerize, and restock with a synthetic stock. It's gonna cost more than the rifle did, but I can't just throw it away.

Damn! Pictures of the rifle?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd probably touch up the blemish with a sharpie versus cold blue (since that stuff stinks so bad). Keep it oiled and use it.

Friday I picked up a 1939 Winchester model 62 that had been painted black. Spent last night using a razor blade to remove most of the paint. Rifle is just about blueless and will get rust blued this winter. Hoping to shoot it a bit later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom