MD Resident buying a handgun from out of state resident (Private Sale)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 4, 2017
    Ok I have looked on many Maryland Law websites and have found no clear cut answer. I am buying a handgun (Glock 17 Mos) off of my friend. I am a Maryland Resident and he is a DE resident and I need to know the logistics of this sale. Is there a wait period after he sells me the gun. If so who holds the gun for the 7 days. I'd not are there any fees involved because he is out of state. Or anything else I am missing. Thank you for the help any advice of information will be helpful.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    The transaction has to be completed through an FFL in Maryland. The FFL will hold the gun. Since you're new, so you have an HQL, which is required to purchase a handgun inMD? If not you're looking at a month and over $100 to obtain one before you can even start the process of purchase. And please go to the Introductions section and introduce yourself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Must go through an FFL in Maryland.

The process for the purchaser ( you, the OP) is the same as any other purchase of a handgun in Md.

Since this is a modern Glock, you will need HQL ( or be exempt). Initiate Form 77 online, have FFL do his thing at the shop. Usual 7day-ish wait to pick up from dealer..

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Google Searched "interstate handgun sales ATF"
    Second entry came up "Top Ten Questions" from the ATF
    #2 addresses your concern.

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

Mar 4, 2017
    You have to receive it from a Maryland FFL. There is no way around that. Do you have an HQL yet?

Yes I have my HQL the reason I went with buying one from his was because the price was significantly lower than anything I could find in Maryland.

So going through a FFL or the MD State Police, is there a waiting period? And if so who holds it for the 7 days?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    You can't use MSP because it's an interstate sale. Must go through MD FFL. MD FFL will hold for seven days. Transfer "paperwork" will be done electronically now.

Mar 4, 2017
    Thank you all haven't done introduction post yet I've been looking for this answer for weeks now and finally have found a handgun to purchase so I was trying to find an answer asap.

I have waited a Month to take the HQL class
    The website to apply for my HQL was down for a week after my completion of the class
    Then it took a Month for them to approve my HQL then another Month for it to mail to me. It's just annoying. Thanks for the answers

I NEED TO MOVE.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Thank you all haven't done introduction post yet I've been looking for this answer for weeks now and finally have found a handgun to purchase so I was trying to find an answer asap.

I have waited a Month to take the HQL class
    The website to apply for my HQL was down for a week after my completion of the class
    Then it took a Month for them to approve my HQL then another Month for it to mail to me. It's just annoying. Thanks for the answers

I NEED TO MOVE.

In reference to that last sentence "I need to move"!
    I saw your introduction post { welcome}!
    How long have you lived in MD!
    These laws have been in place since 2013 and before!
    Please, before you just say you need to move, join the fight for the rights of MD citizens!

I would hope that back in 2013 you heard about the laws that the Democrats in the MD legislation passed and had many mdshooter members picketing and testifying as well as others.

You will find its easy to move as so many have left the state because of these laws and others, however the future of the children of MD depend on you fighting for those rights.

Join us in Annapolis on the lines and send emails, join MSI !

Mar 4, 2017
    In reference to that last sentence "I need to move"!
    I saw your introduction post { welcome}!
    How long have you lived in MD!
    These laws have been in place since 2013 and before!
    Please, before you just say you need to move, join the fight for the rights of MD citizens!

I would hope that back in 2013 you heard about the laws that the Democrats in the MD legislation passed and had many mdshooter members picketing and testifying as well as others.

You will find its easy to move as so many have left the state because of these laws and others, however the future of the children of MD depend on you fighting for those rights.

Join us in Annapolis on the lines and send emails, join MSI !

I have lived in MD my whole life have joined the NRA and MSI as well as sign every Petition and emailed countless representatives every time a issue about guns comes up for debate or legislation. So I have been very active on trying to better the gun rights in MD. Gun laws is not the only thing prompting me to move as well.

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh, fill us in. Inquiring minds want to know. Taxes, courts, zoning?

Land is way to expensive in MD. With starting a family soon and getting married in the next year my plan is to own a ranch for plenty of room for my kids to play. My wife to breed dogs and hosting weddings. And an area for me to have a shooting range.
    In places like Georgia or Texas this is an obtainable goal. Here in MD not so much. So as much as I love MD (I mean 3 of my 5 tattoos are Maryland tattoos) my goals and way of life can not be sustained in this state.

Mar 4, 2017
    You will want to go to Delaware and pick up the magazine(s) in person.

I'm friends with the guy so when he sells it to me I'm going to have him say no magazines included and when I'm around DE for work again (once a week) I will buy them from him. Plus I have a couple 33rd mags already

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Google Searched "interstate handgun sales ATF"
    Second entry came up "Top Ten Questions" from the ATF
    #2 addresses your concern.

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).
    This. What you are asking concerns Federal law as referenced above

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017
    This. What you are asking concerns Federal law as referenced above

I understand that and the main reason it is still an issue with MD gun laws for menus without all these laws prices on these guns would be less expensive and I would not have to go out of state to save $200 on a Glock 17

Mar 4, 2017
    Curious, what price range?

Most of the shops in MD within an hour of me had a Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS for around $659-$700

My friend who lives in DE found one in this shop near his job for $500

(Granted that price jump in MD was around election time (haven't looked at prices around here since then) so I can see why it might of been maybe $50 higher than normal price in MD but a $200 difference is crazy on the same exact gun.)
    And even with transfer fees I'm still saving around $150

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom