• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    Guys...first off...I have no business affiliation with them. At all. But..what i do have is a drained bank account! :lol2:

But here is the deal. I've lived in SOMD for 18 years. I worked in the Gun industry for nearly 10 years. I've seen it all and heard it all when it comes to dealers and Gun sales. (I helped move $60mil in product per year for a very long time for the company international gun company i worked for)

I've dealt with almost every shop in MD/VA from a business standpoint, or from a personal purchase standpoint.

When I joined MDShooters last year I saw someone talk about Gym Ratz being new and small. I was looking for a gun at the time..and messaged John over these forums about a price. Not only did he get back to me very quickly...his price was at least $60 less than any other MD shop...and like $40 less than the cheapest VA shop! (then of course having to do shipment to a MD shop and transfer etc.)

To add to this..his transfer fees are close to half of any other shop. AND..that is only if you buy something outside of his inventory.

If you buy from his stock or a order he makes...he charges $0 for a transfer. A lot of shops in MD don't do that...they will stack a transfer fee on top of the sale.

So..he ordered me a gun...when all was said and done...taxes...MSP fee and all..the gun (a Glock) was nearly $70 LESS that i could have done the deal anywhere else in the state! Or even mail order. :thumbsup:

From then...i've bought 3 more guns..and done a transfer for a lower. All of the guns have cost me at least 10%-15% less than even mail order after all the transaction stuff was done. This is GOOD business. He is also a Notary...and is getting into supressors and other awesome products. Yes his shop is small...but..he will order anything...and runs deals here in the industry partners forum almost weekly.

The kicker for me was a problem we had with some paperwork. A failed trip to see him was my cost. On the return he took care of me on something (keeping it secret!) in a way that has made me a customer FOREVER. Because of his advice i'm a designated collector now..and will be buying more from him in the future.

I did customer service for 20+ year for various companies...and when i see someone who treats their customers as well as he has treated me (And whose prices can't be beat)..I have to tell people about it.

If you want to order a gun or see what he has in stock..go see John...you will be as happy as I am! (Well...as BROKE at least! :D)

Here is his info..

Address: 28943 Three Notch Rd #3, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
    Phone: (240) 249-3756

Dan

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Guys...first off...I have no business affiliation with them. At all. But..what i do have is a drained bank account! :lol2:

But here is the deal. I've lived in SOMD for 18 years. I worked in the Gun industry for nearly 10 years. I've seen it all and heard it all when it comes to dealers and Gun sales. (I helped move $60mil in product per year for a very long time for the company international gun company i worked for)

I've dealt with almost every shop in MD/VA from a business standpoint, or from a personal purchase standpoint.

When I joined MDShooters last year I saw someone talk about Gym Ratz being new and small. I was looking for a gun at the time..and messaged John over these forums about a price. Not only did he get back to me very quickly...his price was at least $60 less than any other MD shop...and like $40 less than the cheapest VA shop! (then of course having to do shipment to a MD shop and transfer etc.)

To add to this..his transfer fees are close to half of any other shop. AND..that is only if you buy something outside of his inventory.

If you buy from his stock or a order he makes...he charges $0 for a transfer. A lot of shops in MD don't do that...they will stack a transfer fee on top of the sale.

So..he ordered me a gun...when all was said and done...taxes...MSP fee and all..the gun (a Glock) was nearly $70 LESS that i could have done the deal anywhere else in the state! Or even mail order. :thumbsup:

From then...i've bought 3 more guns..and done a transfer for a lower. All of the guns have cost me at least 10%-15% less than even mail order after all the transaction stuff was done. This is GOOD business. He is also a Notary...and is getting into supressors and other awesome products. Yes his shop is small...but..he will order anything...and runs deals here in the industry partners forum almost weekly.

The kicker for me was a problem we had with some paperwork. A failed trip to see him was my cost. On the return he took care of me on something (keeping it secret!) in a way that has made me a customer FOREVER. Because of his advice i'm a designated collector now..and will be buying more from him in the future.

I did customer service for 20+ year for various companies...and when i see someone who treats their customers as well as he has treated me (And whose prices can't be beat)..I have to tell people about it.

If you want to order a gun or see what he has in stock..go see John...you will be as happy as I am! (Well...as BROKE at least! :D)

Here is his info..

Address: 28943 Three Notch Rd #3, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
    Phone: (240) 249-3756

Dan

I can only whole-heartedly agree with the above. Your experience mirrors mine.
    John and his entire family (and he DOES seemingly employ his entire family :D) are wonderful to deal with :thumbsup:

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    I can only whole-heartedly agree with the above. Your experience mirrors mine.
    John and his entire family (and he DOES seemingly employ his entire family :D) are wonderful to deal with :thumbsup:

yep the whole clan seems to pitch in from time to time :whoa:

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    All of these stellar reviews of GymRatz, plus some of the awesome deals he posts on here makes me wanna take a scenic drive from Carroll County to SoMD

Here is what you need to know though. His shop is VERY small. Not a ton to see there. Best idea is to call him and see what he has you may be interested in. And/or see his price on something you are looking for. His main business is weekly deals/packages he puts together..posts about..and than people stop in to pick up stuff. He clears out/turns over his inventory quick. But a drive down would be better for you if you talked to him first about something you wanted...just an FYI.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    Here is what you need to know though. His shop is VERY small. Not a ton to see there. Best idea is to call him and see what he has you may be interested in. And/or see his price on something you are looking for. His main business is weekly deals/packages he puts together..posts about..and than people stop in to pick up stuff. He clears out/turns over his inventory quick. But a drive down would be better for you if you talked to him first about something you wanted...just an FYI.

Good heads up, thanks. I’m looking at some of his deals now and setting something up. Thanks again.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    Good heads up, thanks. I’m looking at some of his deals now and setting something up. Thanks again.

very welcome! I'm not discouraging from anyone from going to see John in person at the shop....just if you live a long way away..a long trip may be better served by a call first. But every time i go he has something else i see and want..it's a bad thing i'm only 20 mins away! :lol2:

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I agree. My purchase was a Canik and it was a real deal when I bought it and then 8 weeks later he lower the price some more near Christmas. Only JLowes guns was close on price and John Lowe has now closed his shop. Such a nice little shop with amazing service and prices.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    Part of the problem is the Maryland requirement for two trips for handguns.

I've not yet found a rifle I need/want/can afford, but when I do, I will have NO problem going way down yonder to patronize Gym Ratz.

John is the real deal. :thumbsup:

nothing you can do about it. I got around the 30 day deal with a Designated Collector Status...super easy to do. Now i just save up and get multiple guns at one time...and spend more $ :envy: ;)

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Part of the problem is the Maryland requirement for two trips for handguns.

I've not yet found a rifle I need/want/can afford, but when I do, I will have NO problem going way down yonder to patronize Gym Ratz.

John is the real deal. :thumbsup:

Very true. I'm bothered even by going to a store 15 minutes from me twice to buy a gun. Also most gun stores don't really open until late hours during the week.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Best. Gun shop. Ever.
    I'm already 3 pistols and two lowers in. Introduced my brother and he's now a designated collector because of Gym Ratz Nutrition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom