• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Mods, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong subforum.

Having recently acquired an 80% polymer AR lower and an AK flat, I've been thinking about what happens if I don't finish them prior to potential new legislation banning their posession. Because I'm probably going to concentrate on the 3 other rifles I'm building, there's little chance I'll even touch them in the next 24 months.

I realize that the burden of proof is on the state as far as when they were purchased, but I'd just assume to avoid any conflict in that regard if I can. I'm curious if anyone here has taken steps to try and avoid any such issues.

Also, this is all predicated on the assumption that amy legislation will include a grandfather clause, which I suppose is not guaranteed at all.

John

Just like any other 80% lower. No one knows you have them, right? (POSTING ON THE INTERNET MAKES "OTHERS" AWARE).

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Library Guy View Post
    WMAR will have an investigative report on 'ghost guns' tonight at 11:00. I won't stay up for it but I'm sure it will answer all our questions.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/crime-c...aceable-lethal
    Bet they won't say that it is perfectly legal to do....

They'll say it's a "loophole", which means "it's still legal so far, but we're working on it".

Everything legal now will be illegal sooner or later.

. . in Maryland.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    "Don't ask, don't tell" covers all sorts of stuff. Same as with the wife "Oh, I've had that one forever".

Of course, this is not legal advice, and you have to assess your own level of risk. My day job requires a clean background so I tend to be somewhat cautious.

Fd3stt

Sep 1, 2016
    Baltimore, Maryland
    lol - sounds like the OP is on a fishing trip to me.

Not at all. But I probably could have worded my question better so it was more clear.

Essentially I don't have the funds to finish this anytime soon, but I'd love to do so in the future (legally of course). I know it's legal to possess an AK pistol or SBR right now in MD, but I don't see many threads or information about people who have built either from a flat and what, if any, steps they have taken to document the completion date (beyond what goes to the ATF of course). I'm not interested in keeping the flat unknown, as I bought it simply because I'm interested in the build process.

I've considered bending it into a "completed" state and going the SBR route, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in spending another $200 on top of what I've already spent this year on firearms... well, I'm not sure my WIFE is interested at least. Happy wife, happy life.

Fd3stt

Sep 1, 2016
    Baltimore, Maryland
    John you might want to introduce yourself, there is a section of the forum for that.

Then you might want to tell the members something about what your interests are and what part of the state you live in then maybe something about your experience level with firearms and maybe a offer to help others on the forum.

When you have a question it is always a good idea to conduct a little research first, we have extensive archives here and with over 4,000,000 posts it is possible that your question may have already been answered in whole or in part. You could then just ask for clarification if required.

I better stop before I say something Norton will make me regert (:lol2:).

My first post was an introduction. I figured I'd get flamed for not doing so, and I'm fresh out of flame suits.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    don't have the funds to finish this anytime soon...

When the '94 ban happened, I seem to remember the way that the rifle was assembled when the ban went into effect was important. If a guy had multiple uppers and/or lowers, only those in "assault weapon" configuration when the calendar rolled over where grandfathered in (of course, big brother wasn't yet able to look into your gunsafe in the middle of the night, so there was a bit of the honor system involved.)

I've also never done an 80% upper. It is possible to machine it enough so that the rifle can be "assembled", without hogging out all of the fire control pockets or whatever? If the past repeats, one could honestly make the case that the rifle was "assembled" in a certain configuration prior to such-and-such a date, even if it wasn't "completed"?

(I'm not an AR guy, I've got a couple for the kids to shoot--collapsible stock and low recoil until they can move onto a real rifle :innocent0. I didn't have an AR in '94, the above is just what I kind of remember at that time)

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    When the '94 ban happened, I seem to remember the way that the rifle was assembled when the ban went into effect was important. If a guy had multiple uppers and/or lowers, only those in "assault weapon" configuration when the calendar rolled over where grandfathered in (of course, big brother wasn't yet able to look into your gunsafe in the middle of the night, so there was a bit of the honor system involved.)

I've also never done an 80% upper. It is possible to machine it enough so that the rifle can be "assembled", without hogging out all of the fire control pockets or whatever? If the past repeats, one could honestly make the case that the rifle was "assembled" in a certain configuration prior to such-and-such a date, even if it wasn't "completed"?

(I'm not an AR guy, I've got a couple for the kids to shoot--collapsible stock and low recoil until they can move onto a real rifle :innocent0. I didn't have an AR in '94, the above is just what I kind of remember at that time)

One typically does not do 80% uppers. I'll assume you meant the lower receiver :)

As it stands, 80% lowers can be attached to 100% uppers without any machining. The pivot and rear takedown pin areas are often cut as the 80% process. The only thing the end user has to do is mill out the fire control pocket, the holes for the pins, and maybe a few other things (tap the grip screw hole, for example - it depends entirely on the manufacturer of the 80%). However, it technically becomes a firearm the moment you take a bit to it and lash off the first chunk. So cut a little bit out of the pocket and put it away until you can 'finish' it on your own time.

It would also be up to the state to carry the burden of proof that you did not finish it after such-and-such date.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    One typically does not do 80% uppers. I'll assume you meant the lower receiver :)

As it stands, 80% lowers can be attached to 100% uppers without any machining. The pivot and rear takedown pin areas are often cut as the 80% process. The only thing the end user has to do is mill out the fire control pocket, the holes for the pins, and maybe a few other things (tap the grip screw hole, for example - it depends entirely on the manufacturer of the 80%). However, it technically becomes a firearm the moment you take a bit to it and lash off the first chunk. So cut a little bit out of the pocket and put it away until you can 'finish' it on your own time.

It would also be up to the state to carry the burden of proof that you did not finish it after such-and-such date.

Excellent point at 80% complete it is a hunk of metal but at 81% complete it is a firearm in ATF eyes. That is why you can't buy 81% receivers.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom