• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I wouldn't want to be the test case. :shrug:

Its already been used in a legal defense case. Man didn't have CCW for a different state he was going into to and luck would have it thats where the self defense senario went down. He was was prosecuted for both crimes but was acquitted for the murder charge but later prosecuted for illegal carry of a firearm. Did a year in prison but he is alive. Not saying to gamble with it but had they not used "competing harms" in his defense the guy would have been charged with both crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Look up Keyna Oduyoye.

Arrested in Baltimore in the summer of 2012 for illegally discharging, transporting, and carrying a legally owned and registered handgun after defending herself and husband while they were being robbed.

I will when i get some free time. Also not stating this is a get out of jail free card. It is a law (i think common) that may help in the after math of the shooting. Even in clear cut self defense shootings, don't expect cops to show up and high five you. With the civil suits from the family of the deceased or if the media gets involved your in for a hell of a ride.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    We are truly blessed that the MSP are psychic.

Yup :lol: They are judge, jury, and enforcer

Yes, beats having an objective standard to quantify substantial risk. Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yup we wouldn't want that...

Did she take the class with the Hagerstown company that can get everyone a Permit?
    ;)

LMAO....

Hogan is a let down and Maryland blows.

Hogan is a huge letdown. I'll stay home next time. I will not vote for him again. :sad20:

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    BTW I can still see the original title under "New Threads" and also when I click the thread it still shows up in the windows explorer title bar.

I agree with the original thread title. Hogan has been nowhere to be seen.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    She's in there -- a lot actually...

While she was given a PBJ for the carrying without a permit charge, I'm not sure what happened with the others.

Stupid autocorrect kept changing the first name to Kenya. Which turned up results, but no criminal charges.

That's typical of Baltimore gun charges, jeopardy for all the other add ons.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    DBLAS was suppose to have set up a meeting with Hogan to discuss 2A issues in Maryland...What happened? did that meeting ever take place?

I don't know. I know MSI did meet with some of his staffers at some point. I remember Dan mentioned at one point that they had been invited to an 'upstairs' meeting. I guess upstairs at the statehouse, which no previous governor had ever afforded the courtesy. I think that was during the last session, correct me if I am wrong.

Also MSI just recently had new elections. There is a new President, no longer dblas.

Thanks for all of your hard work Dan. You had a unique style that everyone did not always appreciate, but at the end of the day you always seemed very honest (to a fault I guess). :thumbsup:

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    So I have been helping several people going through the wear and carry permitting process. One of which, who is female, was robbed at gun point in Baltimore.

She took the wear and carry course, completed all requirements and submitted her application back in August. Just today her interviewing trooper called her and scheduled the in person appt. Along with scheduling a date, she told my friend that MSP won't issue a permit based on the robbery, so she should bring her business info along. She is an employee, not the owner. The trooper also said that the robbery wasn't a "personal assault, just a crime of opportunity".

This infuriates me! I have done this with several people and I am f'ing tired of fighting this BS.

Edit: MSP also told this person to bring business owner paperwork and DEPOSIT SLIPS!!!!!!!

EDITTED TITLE

Green lives matter.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    There is actually a legal protection in this case that the Baltimore folks should know about. "The law of lesser harms" which has been phrased slightly different depending on your jurisdiction protects people who commit a crime in order to prevent a greater crime. Such as, carrying a handgun illegally to prevent your own murder. Im not a lawyer but i did read Massad Ayoob's book "Deadly Force" and it was a huge eye opener.

I think most courts are going to find that a heck of a stretch. I'm all for concealed carry but that legal reasoning isn't going to help most people in 99.999999% of the situations that will arise. You're really dealing with two different legal defenses, Necessity and Duress. These are concepts which are both traditionally applied to very immediate threats where the person has to show they had no reasonable alternative and engaged in brief violations of the law until they were able to contact and seek help from law enforcement.

The classic case of duress being someone having a gun held to their head being forced to commit a robbery or other crime. Or of necessity being the person who trespasses on someone's property in order to put out a fire they see there. Illegally carrying a handgun pre-emptively when not in a true and dire emergency situation and trying to use duress or necessity as a defense if caught is not going to hold up in court anywhere in this state, I don't think. I'm all for every law abiding person having the ability to carry concealed. But trying to use the defense you suggest as a basis for it on the reasoning that you were robbed and the bad guy might still be a threat out there somewhere (and indeed he might be) still isn't going to work. It will only result in the possible loss of one's gun rights after a conviction.

I am not a lawyer, maybe some of our resident attorneys would like to comment.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Doctrine of Competiting Harms is a real thing. It is a tool that is better for your lawyer to have in his quiver at your trial than to not have.

Don't count on it for get out of jail free. Don't make it your Plan A .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Isn't there an exemption for carrying a concealed weapon against a reasonable apprehension of danger (I thought there was).... seems to be that being robbed or attacked would make that apprehension of danger self-evident.

That has been interpreted to a null argument by the MSP LD (and the HPRB on occasion).

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Isn't there an exemption for carrying a concealed weapon against a reasonable apprehension of danger (I thought there was).... seems to be that being robbed or attacked would make that apprehension of danger self-evident.

Yes .... a good and substanstial reasonable apprehension of danger greater than one's neighbors living in the same community ;)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I think most courts are going to find that a heck of a stretch. I'm all for concealed carry but that legal reasoning isn't going to help most people in 99.999999% of the situations that will arise. You're really dealing with two different legal defenses, Necessity and Duress. These are concepts which are both traditionally applied to very immediate threats where the person has to show they had no reasonable alternative and engaged in brief violations of the law until they were able to contact and seek help from law enforcement.

The classic case of duress being someone having a gun held to their head being forced to commit a robbery or other crime. Or of necessity being the person who trespasses on someone's property in order to put out a fire they see there. Illegally carrying a handgun pre-emptively when not in a true and dire emergency situation and trying to use duress or necessity as a defense if caught is not going to hold up in court anywhere in this state, I don't think. I'm all for every law abiding person having the ability to carry concealed. But trying to use the defense you suggest as a basis for it on the reasoning that you were robbed and the bad guy might still be a threat out there somewhere (and indeed he might be) still isn't going to work. It will only result in the possible loss of one's gun rights after a conviction.

Here is the good statement of the common law rule. Note, this is at common law, and it may not necessarily obtain every jurisdiction (states are free to override common law through legislation if they so wish):

Conduct which the actor believes to be necessary to avoid harm to himself or another is justifiable if the desirability and urgency of avoiding such harm outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the statute defining the offense charged.

Note the emphasis on "urgency." A classic example is that a person may be innocent of the crime of trespass if the trespass is in a storm reasonably necessary to save their lives.

In the context of CCW, it were me, I would not rely in this doctrine to save you from prosecution. It might be available if you took the bad guy's gun from him and shot him with it to save your own life.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Agreed! One need only look to the case of Bernhard Goetz. Recall that the first grand jury refused to indict Goetz on the more serious charges, voting indictments only for unlawful gun possession – one count of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, for carrying in public the loaded unlicensed gun used in the subway shooting, and two counts of possession in the fourth degree, for keeping two other unlicensed handguns in his home. The second grand jury indicated Goetz on charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and weapons possession. He was acquitted of the attempted murder and first-degree assault charges and convicted of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree – carrying a loaded, unlicensed weapon in a public place. He was sentenced to six months in jail, one year's psychiatric treatment, five years' probation, 200 hours community service, and a $5,000 fine. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting#Perpetrator

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    when i went through the baltimore police academy in early 1973 we were told and retold that you never trust the media, never trustr the feds and never trust the troopers . valid then and apparently still valid today
    andi still cant type worth a damn
    but being a street cop didnt worry about it too much

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Any ordinary citizen applying
    for license could be "factually" denied a permit because no one had
    actually threatened him. Thus, he would have no "need" to defend
    himself. Similarly, if threatened, the permit could be denied on
    the basis that the official police agencies were capable of
    handling the matter so that he had no "need" to defend himself.

Schubert v. Debard

:sad20:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Agreed! One need only look to the case of Bernhard Goetz. Recall that the first grand jury refused to indict Goetz on the more serious charges, voting indictments only for unlawful gun possession – one count of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, for carrying in public the loaded unlicensed gun used in the subway shooting, and two counts of possession in the fourth degree, for keeping two other unlicensed handguns in his home. The second grand jury indicated Goetz on charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and weapons possession. He was acquitted of the attempted murder and first-degree assault charges and convicted of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree – carrying a loaded, unlicensed weapon in a public place. He was sentenced to six months in jail, one year's psychiatric treatment, five years' probation, 200 hours community service, and a $5,000 fine. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting#Perpetrator

That's NY, and i fail to see where that would invalidate MD's own precedent in Crawford v State 1987 which also examined the "necessity defense" from Sigma Reproductive Health Center v. State

"As we see it, the 1972 handgun control legislation does not address the unexpected and sudden circumstance when an individual is threatened with present, impending danger to his life or limb and as a consequence has no time to seek other protection. Furthermore, we cannot accept the contention that, in such circumstances, the General Assembly intended that the individual should succumb to his attacker and possibly forfeit his life rather than take possession of a handgun and act in self-defense. We find it entirely reasonable and consistent with § 36B's legislative purpose to conclude that when an individual finds himself in sudden, imminent danger of loss of life or serious bodily harm, or reasonably believes himself or others to be in such danger, and without preconceived design on his part a handgun comes into his possession, he may temporarily possess the weapon for a period no longer than the necessity or apparent necessity requires him to use it in self-defense. We therefore hold that necessity may be a defense to the charge of unlawful possession of a handgun."

Maybe it hinges on "preconceived design"?

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    The Doctrine of Competiting Harms is a real thing. It is a tool that is better for your lawyer to have in his quiver at your trial than to not have.

Don't count on it for get out of jail free. Don't make it your Plan A .

Exactly what i meant to impose.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015

So basically what i was implying. Illegally possessed firearm. Used it. Acquitted in self defense but took jail time for illegal gun possession. I would take his punishment over the tombstone any day.

Not suggesting anyone carrying or possess a firearm illegally. Only know that the law system is very wise in its fullness and you only have to make the jury understand why you did what you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom