• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I have been wondering about this for a little while... So if I ever get pulled over during a routine traffic stop on the way to or from the range, do I have an obligation to notify the leo if I have firearms in the vehicle?

Thanks

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    No. No obligation to notify if you are carrying so why if you're just transporting.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    No such obligation exists.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    It's a bit of a slippery slope in my opinion.
    Depends on the officer and the jurisdiction. I'm a member at the Berwyn R&G C and during the range orientation class, it was suggested you didn't carry a loaded magazine in your car in AA Co. This is contrary to discussions on here and there was a letter floating around from MSP that stated it was ok to carry a loaded mag in a separate compartment. The AA Co police are concerned about gangs and road rage turning to gun play if a loaded mag if readily available.

If the cop asked me, I would likely admit having firearms in my car and that fact that I was going/coming from a range. The firearms are unloaded and the ammo carried in separate compartments. My understanding of MD law is you're not supposed to be carrying firearms unless you have a valid reason such as a range trip, gunsmith trip, etc. You're not supposed to be packing a firearm in your vehicle on a regular basis.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    None of that applies to the quotation that was asked.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My understanding of MD law is you're not supposed to be carrying firearms unless you have a valid reason such as a range trip, gunsmith trip, etc. You're not supposed to be packing a firearm in your vehicle on a regular basis.

No. What you have written applies to handguns. Not long guns and it's not a "supposed to".

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Conflating what the law says and what you think is a good idea is always fun.

The Maryland motor vehicle code says you have to come to a complete stop at an octagon stop sign.

But it doesn't say for how long you must be stopped.
    Hmmm.
    Maybe I should stay stopped for 1 second.
    That doesn't seem long enough.
    Maybe 5 seconds.
    What if a police officer is around...maybe I should stay stopped for 10 seconds...
    What to do...what to do...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The laws in Maryland are very hard to understand and rarely enforced by the average street officer.

There are some very gun dumb/uneducated police officers out there.

There is a phobia of firearms in this state.

Do as you wish but I have not come across a law that requires someone to notify they have firearms.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    From the MSP FAQ section

TRANSPORTING FIREARMS
    Can we travel to other states for competitions and return with our already owned banned firearms? Can someone come from another state, for competition in Maryland, with a banned rifle?
    ​A Maryland resident who lawfully owned the firearm prior to October 1, 2013 may travel with the firearm to other states and return so long as it is not a violation in the state you are traveling to and the firearm is being transported in accordance with the law. A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law.

Can I legally transport my regulated firearm to the range?
    ​Yes, however, Maryland and Federal laws require specific conditions be met while transporting a handgun. Please refer to Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203 for a detailed account of wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun. You may access the Maryland General Assembly website at http://mlis.state.md.us/ You can access the Federal requirements through www.atf.gov and conduct a search for “27 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 178” and then look for “Transportation of Firearms.” The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute.

Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
    ​​Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.​

If you're pulled over and the officer asks you if you're transporting a firearm, are you going to lie and say no or are you going to say you don't have the right to ask me that question?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Depends on the officer and the jurisdiction. I'm a member at the Berwyn R&G C and during the range orientation class, it was suggested you didn't carry a loaded magazine in your car in AA Co. This is contrary to discussions on here and there was a letter floating around from MSP that stated it was ok to carry a loaded mag in a separate compartment. The AA Co police are concerned about gangs and road rage turning to gun play if a loaded mag if readily available.

If the cop asked me, I would likely admit having firearms in my car and that fact that I was going/coming from a range. The firearms are unloaded and the ammo carried in separate compartments. My understanding of MD law is you're not supposed to be carrying firearms unless you have a valid reason such as a range trip, gunsmith trip, etc. You're not supposed to be packing a firearm in your vehicle on a regular basis.

Designated collector has more leeway on transport.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

NO ONE here has said to lie to an officer. IF HE ASKS.

There is NO reason to say anything, unless he asks. If he asks, tell him.

The letter about loaded mags is from the MD AG, NOT the MSP. MSP opinions do not apply to county police, but AG opinions DO.

That said, I do not carry loaded mags typically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom