• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    My father and I have collected firearms pretty much our entire lives. I still
    don't have my HQL because screw paying the state more money than I already
    do. If my father passes away, do I need a HQL for the firearms to be passed
    onto me? He already has me in his will as the recipient of the firearms. Thanks in advance!

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    My father passed away last year. All of his belongings were left to my brother and I. He had several handguns. I too don't have or plan to get an HQL. In the FSA of 2013 there is an exemption to needing an HQL when there is inheritance by an immediate relative. I took the guns to the MSP Barrick and filled out the 77R to voluntarily register the guns. I'm not sure if I even had to do that except I didn't want any question about ownership at a later date. Along with the usual info you will need to transfer a handgun in this case you will need a Death Certificate. Hope this helps.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    It does and thanks. I also wonder if this rule applies to C&Rs. He has an FFL-03 and I don't yet but if he were to pass, would those transfer to me without an FFL-03? I plan on applying for mine within the next month anyway. Just curious.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    FFL03 does nothing for guns coming from within MD

Separately 50+ year old guns are exempt from HQL in MD

I just went through this last month. My father passed in late July. He was a retired cop and had several firearms. The long guns I put directly into my safe, the handguns were taken to an FFL, paperwork completed, waiting period waited and possession taken without an HQL.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just went through this last month. My father passed in late July. He was a retired cop and had several firearms. The long guns I put directly into my safe, the handguns were taken to an FFL, paperwork completed, waiting period waited and possession taken without an HQL.

I don't think you needed to do all that. I think all that's required is the "voluntary registration" with the MSP. No $10 charge either.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Not commenting on right or wrong but how would someone not familiar with this site or the law know what to do? Dad passed away, dad had guns, dad left them to me, great now I've got dads guns.

I don't think you needed to do all that. I think all that's required is the "voluntary registration" with the MSP. No $10 charge either.

Maybe not...who knows...I called MSP and 2 FFLs and got three different answers so I went with better safe than sorry. The FFL who did the transfer is a friend and charged me $1 per weapon. I know i'm legal and that's what matters.

I have refused to get an HQL, opting to go the 80% route instead of giving the state the satisfaction of forcing their illegal "law" down my throat....this was a bonus, although a sad one...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not commenting on right or wrong but how would someone not familiar with this site or the law know what to do? Dad passed away, dad had guns, dad left them to me, great now I've got dads guns.

They wouldn't. Hopefully if a lawyer was involved, and heard there were firearms, they would steer them straight.

But there are lots of laws that common people can end up breaking without ever knowing.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I always ask questions because the last thing I want is someone taking muhguns. No one is taking my kids from me. NO ONE.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    FFL03 does nothing for guns coming from within MD

Separately 50+ year old guns are exempt from HQL in MD

So does that mean I wouldn't need to get my C&R to take ownership? Like i said, I'm still getting mine because I love historical pieces, but I'm just curious.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    003 C&R will let you purchase all C&R items from anyone out of state, either in person, or shipped to your door.

Within Md, C&R handguns may be purchased w/o HQL, but otherwise in usual manner.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    003 C&R will let you purchase all C&R items from anyone out of state, either in person, or shipped to your door.

Within Md, C&R handguns may be purchased w/o HQL, but otherwise in usual manner.

If I were you I would get my C&R; do a paper transfer from your dad to you, and inform ATF of your dad's death. You're covered in every way doing that. Just my opinion.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster

Correct; when my Dad passed the handguns were in my possession and stayed in my possession even during the voluntary registration process at MSP. You are correct also --no fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom