• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Saw a short write up in the police reports the other day, but here's the rest of the story https://smnewsnet.com/archives/427882/former-maryland-state-police-officer-arrested-for-impersonating-a-police-officer-and-firearms-violation/

What's concerning to me is the last charge at the bottom of the page " DETACH MAG.OVER 10 RNDS CR 4-305"

CR 4-305 is the part of FSA2013 that says you can't purchase, sell transfer etc. over a 10 round mag. Doesn't say you can't have or use one.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    From the headline it looks like a former police officer tried to use his (expired) credentials to buy 10+ mags. Remember police are exempt from the 10 round mag purchasing restrictions.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Sounds like the troopers are misinformed about CR 4-305, or maybe as soon as they grabbed the mags they charged Mr. Proper for "transferring" the mags.

Sound like Mr. Proper is not all there in the head and good thing they took him off the street.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Sounds like the troopers are misinformed about CR 4-305, or maybe as soon as they grabbed the mags they charged Mr. Proper for "transferring" the mags.

Sound like Mr. Proper is not all there in the head and good thing they took him off the street.

Might be time to print out a copy of CR 4-305 to keep in my cars/wallet. Add one more the the stack I guess.

Edit: Case search shows 5 counts of "DETACH MAG OVER 10 RNDS". Scary precedent.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Might be time to print out a copy of CR 4-305 to keep in my cars/wallet. Add one more the the stack I guess.

I don’t think we need to standardize the print out idea for mag possession. Just ask for a supervisor if you feel you are being jammed and have them call the MSP Gun Center.

That’s what they would eventually do anyway—you can fast-forward the process.

Almost certainly, they asked how and where Mr Improper obtained the 10+ round mags and determined they were illegally obtained in MD with his “expired” credentials.

Fun fact: he has 3 kinds of mismatched shotgun ammo in his Mossy, just like Balmer thuggery, hon.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    From the headline it looks like a former police officer tried to use his (expired) credentials to buy 10+ mags. Remember police are exempt from the 10 round mag purchasing restrictions.

He was stopped for a traffic violation not for trying to buy mag's, it is disturbing he was charged with CR 4-305 as possession is not a crime. Sounds like the State has done a bang up job as usual in training it's officers, after all its only 4 years since passage of the law.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I don’t think we need to standardize the print out idea for mag possession. Just ask for a supervisor if you feel you are being jammed and have them call the MSP Gun Center.

That’s what they would eventually do anyway—you can fast-forward the process.

Didn't know such a thing existed.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Read the article. My guess is that the 4-305 charge doesn't stick in court.

I found this interesting: "...was previously a State Trooper but resigned on May 07, 2007 prior to the adjudication of any administrative charges."
    Not sure exactly what that means but I know what I think it means.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County

I found this interesting: "...was previously a State Trooper but resigned on May 07, 2007 prior to the adjudication of any administrative charges."

Sounds like he quit instead of being fired?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

This is what I expect too. They're probably filling out everything on the list of possibilities. From what he was doing, it seems entirely likely that he impersonated an officer to buy those mags in MD and it would be a valid charge.

I'll hold off on being too disturbed unless we find out he owned them previous to FSA, or acquired them by some other legal means yet is still convicted of that charge for possession.

Sounds like a jackass..

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Those troopers are lucky that guy didn't arrest them.

I think the mag charge is only an add-on if you're doing other bad stuff, like driving around with a loaded pistol in the center console. I wonder if each of the three magazines carry a separate charge?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Those troopers are lucky that guy didn't arrest them.

I think the mag charge is only an add-on if you're doing other bad stuff, like driving around with a loaded pistol in the center console. I wonder if each of the three magazines carry a separate charge?

Case search says 5 charges of the mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom