• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FNG Andrew

Nov 9, 2010
    Harford County
    Good afternoon,

I am looking to get two sliding patio doors replaced and figured I would throw it out to other members. I am planning on buying and having them here ready to be installed. I am looking for an estimate for a contractor to install both of them. I am located in Harford County. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    They are not cheap, but the Provia doors are well made and offer some nice features.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Believe it or not, I bought my door at Lowes and they also did the installation. Actually it was one of their contractors. I got a better total cost this way than buying the doors and having a contractor do the work. The door I bought was of better quality than the door and window contractors in the area too.

The guy that came out was very professional and had everything done (including molding) within 5 hours. I am very pleased with the door quality and the workmanship.

Good luck on your search.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    They are not cheap, but the Provia doors are well made and offer some nice features.

We've been eyeballing Therma Tru and Provia over Anderson for both front and back doors. Which style and model did you go for and how are they holding up?

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    We've been eyeballing Therma Tru and Provia over Anderson for both front and back doors. Which style and model did you go for and how are they holding up?
    I replaced two therma tru doors that were only 8 years old but were leaking and the frames were rotting. This was just as likely the builders installation errors as it was an issue with the doors themselves, but the provia are fully pre hung and set up at the factory to avoid errors. Therma tru relies on the installer to do things right.

One is a set of French doors and one is a single door. I put storm doors on both and the storm doors have the self storing glass/screens which are worth their weight in gold. The provia doors feels 100% sturdier than the therma tru ever did. You can just tell they are well made. It is like the difference in closing the door on a luxury automobile versus a cheap car. One makes that very solid and heavy thunk and the other feels like slamming a tin can. 100% of the exterior frame of the provia is capped in aluminium. Should not have rot issues. I'm not sure if therma tru started to use composite for the lower portion of their frames yet, but if not they will rot eventually.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I replaced our slider last fall with a French Door, you may want to consider that.
    I hate sliders!
    We got the triple pane version and got a 10% tax credit also.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    We priced replacement of our kitchen sliding glass door assembly, looks to be about 6 feet, one panel fixed one sliding. To have a quality installer buy and install a Pella unit, he wanted about $5K.

We had an entire outer wall of mixed doors and windows replaced in one room with two fixed panels on each end and two sliders meeting in the middle, again all Pella, each panel there is 4 feet, double pane, low-e glass and several years ago it was $17,000.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    We like the slider due to the dogs and it sits right behind our kitchen table. It just makes life simpler. We looked at the Provia and Therma Tru at Kohl Building Products and really liked the feel of the Provia (front and slider). We are looking at the triple pane low-e slider for its insulation and sound dampening properties. We were warned that the triple pane is extremely heavy. As for the front we are looking at the Signet series with custom side lites.

I also wonder how their (Provia) windows are compared to Pella, Anderson and Simonton. We need to replace the windows in the near future too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom