What exactly have the Shell Casing Laws accomplished in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I'm actually surprised that they have never had a match. You would think that somewhere along the way, a gun that was legally purchased and entered in the database, would have been stolen and used to commit a crime. Of course this won't help solve the crime since it will only lead police back to the legal owner that the gun was stolen from. So the moral of that story is, make sure you report it stolen right away. Before the police show up with a warrant for your arrest and kick your front door in.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm actually surprised that they have never had a match. You would think that somewhere along the way, a gun that was legally purchased and entered in the database, would have been stolen and used to commit a crime. Of course this won't help solve the crime since it will only lead police back to the legal owner that the gun was stolen from. So the moral of that story is, make sure you report it stolen right away. Before the police show up with a warrant for your arrest and kick your front door in.

It just doesn't work like they show on CSI.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I will now give you instructions to commit the perfect murder and use Md's balistic database to prove your inocense.

#1 Purchase a springfield XD in the .40 cal (yes I know it's the gayest of calibers.)
    This will of couse be entered in the database.
    #2 Purchase replacement barrel in .357Sig (a very un-gay caliber)
    #3 Install .357Sig barrel.
    #4 Give the bolt face, extractor, and tip of the firing pin a couple of swipes with some sand paper.
    #5 Take out your intended target.
    #6 Reinstall the Gay .40 cal barrel.
    #7 Give the bolt face, extractor, and tip of the firing pin a couple of swipes with some sand paper of a different grit than was used the first time.
    #8 Toss .357sig barrel in the Bay.

And vola, no way the MD Balistic database can match your gun to the crime.

I'm not advocating that anybody do this, just pointing out that anybody with half a brain can out smart the MD balistic database. Thus proving it's uselessness.

Or......you could just buy any firearms with the shell casing requirement, and put a thousand or more rounds through it. I'm sure the wear and tear on the parts will render the spent shell case into something that doesn't match the MSP stored casings.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    That would sound like a typical far-left argument. I honestly believe some of those (I mean the ones WAY out in the far-left field) think that is true, that is you buy a firearm known ahead of time that the state has a spent shell of yours, that you will think twice before you rob that liquor store, or hold up that gas station you were thinking about knocking off.

The problem, of course, with that line of thinking is that they assume anyone who buys a firearm, even legally, is a potential criminal. It never seems to sink in that those of us legally purchasing firearms don't commit crimes, with only extremly rare exceptions.

Another thing that never sinks into the gun-grabbers is that only law-abiding citizens obey the law. The pass onerous gun laws and then blame other states for the local gun crime problem. That's because it has never been about reducing crime; it's about getting rid of the guns.

Now, if they wanted to identify firearms used in crimes that were, perhaps, stolen from the legal owner, they could just as easily have made a law that required the legal owner to keep a spent shell. Then, if that weapon was ever stolen, you could turn in your spent shell (or face some minor fine). That would have had the same effect overall, and not cost an additional dime for the taxpayer, or the firearm manufacturer, or the purchaser.

This is crazy talk. Why should I be required to assist the police? Should I be required to keep up to date tire tread prints, in case my car is stolen? Should i be required to keep a log of each kitchen knife I own and a cut pattern ? Hell no.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    This is crazy talk. Why should I be required to assist the police? Should I be required to keep up to date tire tread prints, in case my car is stolen? Should i be required to keep a log of each kitchen knife I own and a cut pattern ? Hell no.

All of Maryland's gun laws are crazy talk. Should I have to register my AK with the MSP and wait for 5-9 days? Should I have to do the legal limbo every time someone touches my 30-rounders because that could be considered "transferring" and "receiving"? Should there be a weekly debate between two dozen knowledgeable people about the legal definition of "HBAR Sporter"? Does any of this stuff actually make Maryland any safer?

Hell no.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I will now give you instructions to commit the perfect murder and use Md's balistic database to prove your inocense.

#1 Purchase a springfield XD in the .40 cal (yes I know it's the gayest of calibers.)
    This will of couse be entered in the database.
    #2 Purchase replacement barrel in .357Sig (a very un-gay caliber)
    #3 Install .357Sig barrel.
    #4 Give the bolt face, extractor, and tip of the firing pin a couple of swipes with some sand paper.
    #5 Take out your intended target.
    #6 Reinstall the Gay .40 cal barrel.
    #7 Give the bolt face, extractor, and tip of the firing pin a couple of swipes with some sand paper of a different grit than was used the first time.
    #8 Toss .357sig barrel in the Bay.

And vola, no way the MD Balistic database can match your gun to the crime.

I'm not advocating that anybody do this, just pointing out that anybody with half a brain can out smart the MD balistic database. Thus proving it's uselessness.

When we have to tear a corner off of every sheet of sandpaper we buy and send it to the state for their new database I guess we'll have you to blame for giving them the idea!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Where have you been, of course you have to prove your not a scofflaw, more and more every day.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The first time the MD shell casing circle jerk or any of our state's other punitive gun restrictions prevent a crime or result in a conviction, I can assure you it will be the top headline in the WaPo. Still waiting...

My bet. Will never happen! Wait over.......

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    So we all know this little project is a goat rope and doesn't work....

So how come we can't (as a state) admit it does not work and just scape the whole thing? Why is it projects like this just hang on?

OK, it was a bad idea, ya tried it and it did not work. Dump it and move on.... But that's just not how thing run in the Peoples Republic of MD.

Chris

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    All of Maryland's gun laws are crazy talk. Should I have to register my AK with the MSP and wait for 5-9 days? Should I have to do the legal limbo every time someone touches my 30-rounders because that could be considered "transferring" and "receiving"? Should there be a weekly debate between two dozen knowledgeable people about the legal definition of "HBAR Sporter"? Does any of this stuff actually make Maryland any safer?

Hell no.

Does get kinda old doesn't it and fills up Don's server as well.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    :rofl:
    You're kidding right? How could they use them to solve a crime, they chuck them in a barrel and never look at them.

The sole purpose of that stupid law is to make it slightly more inconvenient/expensive to buy a gun. From that perspective the law does exactly what it was designed to do.
    Rob

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    The sole purpose of that stupid law is to make it slightly more inconvenient/expensive to buy a gun. From that perspective the law does exactly what it was designed to do.
    Rob

:facepalm:
    Even I give the liberals who came up with that law more credit than that. The purpose of the law was to create a CSI style database that will allow investigators to instantly match any casing. It is fairly obvious to most people that was the purpose (unless of course you are a believer that everyone is out to get you). I think we would all agree that it is a failed attempt and that it should be scrapped but stating that the whole point was to make it more of an annoyance, even democrats would come up with a cheaper solution than that.

It cracks me up that even the purchase of a revolver requires the spent casing. That is proof that the law was not well thought out.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    It may have started as an attempt at Csi but it lingers to make buying a gun more inconvenient & that is done intentionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom