• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We've been on the lookout for knife brands to carry when we move to our new much larger store location in March. You can't get chit for knives local but we'll also want to look at selling them online of course. I personally like all my CRKT knives, but I for the most part do not beat on them either. Other than a few Ka-bar's, 1 "tactical" tanto, and one commemorative, I haven't used many fixed blade.

We've looked at Cold Steel, Kershaw, Schrader, CRKT, and lots of other brands. Any others to consider? We're hoping to keep most knife prices under $100, so don't want any super high-end. We're primarily interested in folders but fixed blade boot knife type styles would be good too.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Buck is another good brand as well as Spyderco and SOG.

I've never owned SOG, but I like the other two VERY much. Most Officers on my Department carry either Spyderco; S&W (my EDC) or Benchmade with a few Emersons thrown in for variety.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    get benchmade. They are great knives and have plenty of options $100 and under. Also as a business you should be able to make some real loot off of them. Basspro's dealer cost for the benchmade bone collector i just bought is around $68, but we sell it for $120 at a 43% markup. The msrp is $150. Depending on your vender agreement, you should be able to undercut lots of places and still get plenty of loot off of every sale.

5.11 tactical knives are another one to look at. They are a huuuge bang for your buck knife. They've got lots of different "tactical" designs in 154cm and s30v for under $100 and i've been impressed on how well they are made. i'm guessing the dealer markup is huge on them too. I got my 5.11 journeyman karambit in 154cm from lapolicegear for $40 on clearance when the original price was 80..something bucks.

CRKT are a must and have lots of great knives, they should be a no-brainer.

Same with spyderco. could get byrd for cheaper options.

Same with cold steel.

ALso, Buck knives. their spring asssit knives like the tempest in 154cm are awesome and under $100. They've got some good guthook folding knives in their alpha hunter and my preferred guthook folder, the omni hunter. Buck also had tons of classic fixed-blade knives. You're not a man unless you've owned a buck folding hunter at one point in your life. It's a right of passage.

SOG another knife with a pretty huge markup. Their spec elite, trident, and flash/twitch folders are popular everywhere and are great knives. their seal pup, field pup and tech bowie and all solid fixed-blade knives.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Thanks for the suggestions :party29:

Smokey: Margin is always of concern. That was my biggest worry with CRKT, is the margin seems super slim between what they sell for on Ebay (where i've bought most of mine) and my distributor cost. It's hard for any business to try to operate online if others are selling stuff for pennies over cost. We're all about selling things at good prices, but we have to be able to make some money first and foremost to stay in business and pay employees.

I'll be looking into all the knife companies mentioned, and others, and we'll see what we come up with :thumbsup:

Gringo

Aug 17, 2010
    I highly recommend ESEE fixed blades (formerly RAT Cutlery) from Randall's Adventure. I have a RAT-4 and love it.

Benchmade Nimravus knives are also good but a little pricey. I carried one in Iraq and it stood up to a lot of abuse. The ESEE knives are a better value though.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Kershaw. I don't know what the difference is between dealer pricing and MSRP, but they are reliable, relatively inexpensive knives made in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom