• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I signed my family up for the Appleseed training and wanted to pick t
    up some .22s for the event. I have both a 10/22 and a model 60. They are 15-20 years old. What hub will be more accurate out of the box for about 200-250 bucks?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    for appleseed I would go 10/22 once my 60 gets dirty it doesnt function 100% it is more accurate but to many fte, ftf

john

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If I was buying new I would definitely go 10-22. The mags are available everywhere mags are sold and the barrel, stock , and sighting options are endless. You can create your ultimate custom rimfire with off the shelf parts for anywhere from $500 to $1000 for everything. Out of the box it is still one of the finest rimfires available.
    Good Luck and Good Shooting John B

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The tube-fed model 60 will be at a disadvantage as there are a few exercises which require 30-40 shots placed under a time limit. People have devised quick-load devices out of PVC tubing to get around it, but a detachable mag-fed gun is really more appropriate for Appleseed.

10/22 or a Marlin 795 is my vote. You'll usually need better sights and a sling mount for either one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From what I understand, 10/22s with upgraded sights are the most popular choice for Appleseed.

While the variety of toys and accesories for 10/22 is endless, I consider the 597 to be superior out of the box rifle.

thatdude410

Cool Guy
    Apr 7, 2010
    cecil county
    I have a marlin model 60 and I love it got it used for $95 at ricks gun and pawn in coniwingo new they run about $180. Ill tell you what that thing is a tack driver

eaglesnester

Apr 29, 2010
    I signed my family up for the Appleseed training and wanted to pick t
    up some .22s for the event. I have both a 10/22 and a model 60. They are 15-20 years old. What hub will be more accurate out of the box for about 200-250 bucks?
    Yes you can have cheap and yes you can have accurate. You can not however have dependable when (cheap) as is in inexspensive is in the equation. When you get an inexpensive 22 rifle you will get a rifle that I guarantee you will; fail to fire, fail to extract, and fail to eject.
    When it does shoot I guarantee you it will also jam when you try to jack another shell into the chamber. This problem will exist with every brand of CHEAP 22us on the market. Save yourself the grief and buy a good expensive 22 like a CZ they shoot every time do not jam and are accurate like stink. Spending big bucks on a 22 does not guarantee you will get a good rifle either. I bought a Marlin 39A lever gun, paid over 500 bucks for it and I had to rebuild it new right out of the b ox before it would make a bullet go off.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    +1 for a Marlin 795, they can be bought for $100 after the mail-in rebate. Mine out of the box shoots 1" groups at 25yds, sub 1" with a rifle a scope and sling. I have no FTF or FTE issues. 10/22s are great guns also, but you have to spend more, more like $200 for the basic model.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not try it with a tubular magazine.

Just don't.

You want at least three box magazines. One to load with two rounds, one to load with eight rounds, one as a ten-round "panic magazine".

Sometimes the command will be, "Prepare a magazine of ten rounds." Sometimes it's "Prepare a magazine of five rounds." And for one half of the AQT, you will be told, "Prepare two magazines. One with two rounds, and the other with eight rounds." And it is a very, very good thing to have a third "backup" loaded with ten, in case of a malfunction.

You can't do that with a tubular mag. They will let you shoot using one, but you want box magazines.

You also want an aperture sight ("peep sight") which is click adjustable for both elevation and windage. If you have one of those open sights with the little stepped ladder, you might manage it, but you probably won't. And you do not want to be trying to tap your sight side-to-side with a mallet and punch.

You want a G.I. type web sling, 1 and 1/4" wide. You'll need the right size swivels- you'll probably only find one inch swivels in the stores, so you'll probably need to order the 1 and 1/4".

A sling is not the same as a carrying strap. You want a G.I. sling.

Mark or number your magazines. Always use one for two rounds, another for eight. You don't want to mix them up. If you can get transparent magazines it might help.

So get the Tech Sights:

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Get a G.I. type web sling:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=966254

Don't forget the correct swivels. Good luck finding these in any chain store:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=190783

You want to be able to keep a high percentage of your shots on a one inch square at 82 feet (25 meters). Not one inch high and two inches left. You want to be able to dial it in. If you can keep all your shots on a two inch square, that would probably do it.

It is not just about the bench rest accuracy potential of the rifle. It's about actually getting into a stable position, loading, getting good-enough hits, reloading, re-positioning yourself, and getting more good enough hits, all under the stopwatch.

You need a good enough rifle, not a target gun.

---------------------------

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    You need an accurate reliable rifle, and the necessary skills to aim, hold on target, breathe and hold your breath correctly while squeezing the trigger consistantly, follow through on your shots, and use the sling effectively to minimize the movement of your rifle and sight picture.
    Effective shooting skills will compensate for a rifle that might not be ideal, such as a bolt action or a tube fed mag, but if you lack the proper skills, a non-ideal rifle will make achieving rifleman that much more difficult.
    Bench rest sight-in before you show up for Appleseed will give you confidence knowing that the rifle is shooting where you point it. Without that you won't know if it is you or your gun that is causing you to miss what you are aiming for. You will not have the opportunity to fire from a rest when participating at Appleseed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom