Anyone know why my 1911 is eating my brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    On my last range trip, my 1911 started having FTEs, about one per [Chip McC Power] magazine. Admittedly, it was rather dirty and in need of a good cleaning so I didnt think much of it. I cleaned it well yesterday, greased the slide rails, oiled everything up and took it to the range today. I had zero FTEs, but it still managed to munch <5% of the brass.

I don't know much about 1911s or autoloaders in general, but I'm thinking maybe the ejector spring?

1911brassmunch004.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'll second the extractor problem. Seems to be weak and the case is slipping off the extractor then getting kicked out as the slide cycles back to battery.

It could also be an ejector.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Can you clarify whether you mean failure to extract or failure to eject? They are different, and simply saying "FTE" leaves me guessing. A malfunction is an unintended interuption in the cycle of operations. Malfunctions are best described as "Failure to ............" whichever process the gun failed to do.

Feeding, Chambering, Locking, Firing, Unlocking, Extracting, Ejecting, Cocking

Example, many people say their gun is experiancing failures to feed. If the round is being stripped off the magazine but not fully entering the chamber, that is actually a Failure to Chamber. Feeding is simply the round being stripped off the magazine by the slide and pushed forward. failures to feed are mostly caused by weak magazine springs not pushing the round up high enough, so the gun returns to battery with an empty camber.

FWIW, there is no ejector spring on a 1911, there isn't even an extractor spring...actually the extractor IS its own spring. Its bent to a certain tension to hold the case, but not too tightly that it doesn't release when the case hits the ejector.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Thanks for the comments. Too bad John Rhines had to move so far. Any other recommendations for 1911 smiths in this area?

ETA:
    Failure to Eject, hence the munched mouth.

marlin.357

NRA Life Member, MSI, SAF
    Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    Two thoughts: 1) You didn't mention ammo. underpowered reloads? 2) If it's always the last round, then you might look at weak magazine springs, or dirty mags.

Bonus: Might also pull the extractor out to see if there is so much crud packed in there that the extractor is no longer working.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Sounds like extractor tension needs adjusting.

Try this test. Take the gun apart, and hold the slide. Slip a round into position on the breechface under the extractor. Spin the slide around, upside down, twist it around ect. Don't whip it around, but just make sure the case stays put regardless of the angle. If the case falls out, the extractor is too loose. Now, gently push the round out. If it is difficult to press out, the extractor may be too tight.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Couple things to think about:

1) Try different ammo. I've had a whole box of American Eagle that was underpowered and cause the same failure.
    2) Remove the extractor and clean it and inside the slide where it sits. You did mention the gun was pretty dirty but not whether you removed the extractor for cleaning.
    3) Always chamber a round from the magazine, don't single-feed directly into the chamber. Directly single-feeding causes the extractor to have to ride over the rim of the cartridge which causes the extractor to get out of whack. The pistol was designed so the cartridge rim slides up underneath the extractor.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    looks like its getting caught in the ejection port.
    you may want to replace the recoil spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom