• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/query.p...390389&result_pos=0&keyval=1223240&numrows=10

Hopefully this will be a moot point if National Reciprocity is passed. This would be a big plus for MD residents, who are currently reduced to glove box carry in the state.
    Fingers crossed but SC is really weird about bills like these. SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) seems to yield a lot of sway with the pols down there and always lobbies against expansion of public carry.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In SC you can keep a loaded pistol in your glove box or console, as SC does not recognize non resident CCW permits

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even though SC did pass a law specifically recognizing GA, I'm sure the exemption will make them happy. GA refused to recognize VA for this reason, even though they recognize states that don't exempt

VA is trying to amend their statute to make GA happy.

We reaaly need HR 38

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    driving from VA to FL without having to disarm would be a step in the right direction however.

Yes. Making progress is good.

I have a relative by marriage in SC who's actually upset with the possibility of ConCarry being dead for now. It's constitutional carry or bust. I told him that "I'm 100% for constitutional carry everywhere and believe we'll get there in my lifetime, but for now you have a SC carry permit and can legally carry there. People who visit you from a non reciprocal state can't. How'd you like to be in their shoes?" His response was that I was right and he didn't really think about that.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    :facepalm: The bill has passed the House and according to an article they still have till the end of the month. That's the good news.

The bad news? The bill was amended so SC will only recognize states that recognize their permit, and they restored the stupid resident only clause. So MD residents are still screwed.

They simply can't get their s*** together in SC. The bill passed 85-23. Were there that many who voted yea for this version that were opposed to the other? Doesn't make sense.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    :facepalm: The bill has passed the House and according to an article they still have till the end of the month. That's the good news.

The bad news? The bill was amended so SC will only recognize states that recognize their permit, and they restored the stupid resident only clause. So MD residents are still screwed.

They simply can't get their s*** together in SC. The bill passed 85-23. Were there that many who voted yea for this version that were opposed to the other? Doesn't make sense.
    So in other words they won't even pick up many states as a result.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

Hopefully the Senate can muster enough votes to amend it back to the original intent, but then it would likely have to go back to the House for their approval, correct? Hopefully there's enough time.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So in other words they won't even pick up many states as a result.

I don't think the number of states changes much for either version of the bill. They'll pick up a few either way.
    But changing the bill like this doesn't even pass a Federal Court's "public safety" test. Reciprocity is simply based on who recognizes the SC permit. Training & potential disqualifiers don't matter.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Hopefully the Senate can muster enough votes to amend it back to the original intent, but then it would likely have to go back to the House for their approval, correct? Hopefully there's enough time.

I hope so but from what I hear the Senate is the one that keeps killing many of the pro gun bills off. Constitutional carry has already passed the House and now seems roadblocked in the Senate, along with the Senate's own version.
    I don't know their Senate rules but last year the Georgia/NC reciprocity bill kept getting delayed over and over again while the same anti-gun Senator seemed to be able to conduct a one man filibuster. I suspect similar shenanigans are in order for these bills which are much stronger than that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom