• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    My brother is finally getting his HQL and is thinking about the S&W shield for his first handgun. He's held mine but he hasn't had a chance to shoot it yet. He's left handed so he's slightly concerned with the magazine release. He'll probably get one without the safety so he doesn't have to worry about that part.

Do any left hand members here have experience with the shield?

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I have one and carry it regularly. It's the performance center version so it has the safety. I like the safety and have no issues with it.

We have the PC version in stock in 9mm & 45.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I am left handed and no issues with mine. Use the index finger of the left hand to release the magazine.

I'm a lefty and I'm the same way (except I use my middle finger). Because I've always done it that way, it's natural to me. I had one of my guns converted and to this day, it feels weird. When I got a Gen4 Glock, I just left it right handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm right handed, but regularly shoot with both hands ( meaning right , then left).

Yes, use a finger, usually index for mag release.

A slide release can be trickier to reach, depends on specific gun, and the shooter's finger length and dexterity. But hey, a substantial percentage of right handed shooters prefer to grab the slide on purpose, and those techniques are inherently not hand specific.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    If it's not a carry gun I'd get something a little bigger with more capacity personally. That said the performance center version of the shield is much nicer than the standard version for a slight premium.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I have one and carry it regularly. It's the performance center version so it has the safety. I like the safety and have no issues with it.

We have the PC version in stock in 9mm & 45.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll tell him to stop by when he gets a chance.

How do you activate the safety with your left hand? I can see using your index finger for the mag release but the safety still seems awkward in my head.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011

How do you activate the safety with your left hand? I can see using your index finger for the mag release but the safety still seems awkward in my head.
    I don't carry it with the safety on. Only used when I take the holster off with the gun in it when I get home.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD

I have never used the safety on either of the shields I own

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom