• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    I told my dad I was trimming down my own gun collection of safe queens and he asked me to sell a few of his guns (all regulated). He is elderly and not able to move about really. Is it ok for me to do the meet up and FFL stuff for him or does he have to be present to do this?

Thoughts? experiences?

Thanks

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    really depends on what the guns are as to how you will have to go about doing it. regulated vs not regulated

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    What do you mean "regulated?" Are they now banned rifles? Handguns? Class III firearms?

Banned rifles can only be sold out of state. I cannot recall if there was a carve out in SB281 to allow for children to inherit banned guns.

The handguns can be sold on consignment at any dealer who does them.

Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    They are just handguns. I have buyers but I don't know if I am allowed to go to handle the transaction on my father accord? via an FFL of course

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You and your father can sell handguns to other marylanders if you do paperwork at a Maryland State Police barracks near you or the buyer. Your father has to be present at the barracks to show his Driver's License or ID and to sign the documents for his firearm. Same for you.

Or you and your father can take them to a gun store/FFL and they can sell them in Maryland or out of state, but they will take a good chunk of the final price.

With 104 posts you are eligible to post your firearms for sale in the classified section here. You will get the most $ for them that way.

EDIT: And, oh yeah, buyers in MD must have the new Handgun Qualification License, which is basically a pre-approved license to buy...

Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    You and your father can sell handguns to other marylanders if you do paperwork at a Maryland State Police barracks near you or the buyer. Your father has to be present at the barracks to show his Driver's License or ID and to sign the documents for his firearm. Same for you.

Or you and your father can take them to a gun store/FFL and they can sell them in Maryland or out of state, but they will take a good chunk of the final price.

With 104 posts you are eligible to post your firearms for sale in the classified section here. You will get the most $ for them that way.

EDIT: And, oh yeah, buyers in MD must have the new Handgun Qualification License, which is basically a pre-approved license to buy...

So I would have to drag my dad out in all scenarios to do this?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Asking: Can the son get a Power of Attorney from his father and handle the transactions?

I was going to suggest this. Call the MSP Licensing Division and explain the situation. What's legally allowed and what Trooper's will let you do at a Barracks are two different things.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'm not sure, but can't you mail the application to gift to MSP. I know that they do not charge for gift transfers. Your father could gift you his guns and you could sell them.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If your father gifts them to you then they are yours. If you later decide to sell part of your collection and give your father a nice Christmas gift, well, that's up to you.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Unless the guns qualify as C&R and the buyer has a valid C&R license.

The exception for C&R handguns in the new law has nothing to do with the federal C&R license (FFL Type 03). The exception applies to a class of handguns, not a class of buyers. In other words, any person who is not disqualified (by reason of age, criminal history, mental health history) from possessing a handgun, may purchase a C&R-eligible handgun, without first obtaining a Handgun Qualification License.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    I dont know the answer to your question. . But .. dont people sell guns all the time privately over the Internet all the time? How does that work? They are obviously not there...

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Probably the most effective option is to sell on one of the auction sites like GunBroker.com.

Under Federal law, sale of a pistol across state lines must be done through an FFL dealer. He sends you a copy of his FFL, you can then ship the gun to the dealer. Anything over 50 years old (and some other guns) is considered Curio & Relic - those can be shipped to a buyer who has a C&R FFL.

Within MD, everything has to be papered through the State Police. You cad do this through an MD dealer, or go to a State Police barracks and handle it yourself.

FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.

Is this true? To buy a handgun I need the "new" HQL?
    The State of MD already approved me for buying handguns via watching a video in a gun shop. Lol. We aren't grandfathered in if we purchased handguns before the new law?????

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Is this true? To buy a handgun I need the "new" HQL?
    The State of MD already approved me for buying handguns via watching a video in a gun shop. Lol. We aren't grandfathered in if we purchased handguns before the new law?????

Wake up! That's one of the things we've been fighting about for a year. You do not need the 4-hour training class, but you do need the HQL and you need to submit fingerprints to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom