• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I'm plotting out a trip to Rehoboth Beach/Ocean City this summer with a friend of mine who is also outdoors-inclined. We both love to fish freshwater around here, but neither one of us has done much SW fishing.

I am hoping to get up to Assateague SP and the National sea shore for a day or two. We've been looking at activities to engage in during the day besides just "laying on the beach" and I have always thought surf fishing would be interesting to try. Her opinion is that people very rarely catch anything surf fishing and it looks to be tremendously boring.

Can anyone who does/ has done some surf fishing chime in? It is not something I would be doing often, so I don't want to spend a ton of money to get a rod/reel and equipment, but Walmart had some rods that were about $50 or so. What else do you need as far as equipment goes? Is it worth trying for half a day? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's all about fishing at the right time of day, factoring in weather condition and tides, with the right bait. Generally, cheap bait = no fish. I see plenty of guys catching fish in the surf when I'm staying at the beach anywhere on the east coast.

To some people, fishing anytime and anywhere is boring. To other people, it's heaven. Different strokes.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I don't spend much time at the beach, but I have definitely seen people catching stuff when I am there. Just can't decide if it's worthwhile to put a bit of money into something I may do only once a year.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's worth it if you enjoy it. No need to buy an expensive rig. The fish aren't gear snobs. I spent five weeks at the beach last year, so I've seen more than a little surf fishing.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    It's worth it if you enjoy it. No need to buy an expensive rig. The fish aren't gear snobs. I spent five weeks at the beach last year, so I've seen more than a little surf fishing.

I've found this to be true too. Caught just as many fish on my cheap ass Walmart "thrown behind the truck seat" rod as with my more expensive Cabela's rods.

So besides a rod/reel combo (which I am assuming bait caster would be optimal), what other equipment would you recommend? And what kinds of baits?

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    There are a few things that will help answer your questions
    What week are you coming down?

You will need a license that covers salt water now a days.
    As for rods, any 10 foot rod will do, a reel that can hold 2 hundred yrds 18 to 20 lbs line. Sand spikes to hold the rods. As for bait it all depends what time of year.
    I live down this way and surf fish all the time so if I have the time I can try and get you out to Assateague island to fish. If you PM me I'll give you my number and can give you more info..

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I use live bait, usually eel, sandworms, or bloodworms. A good local bait shop is generally the best resource to find out what's working best at any given time.

treehugger

Dec 2, 2010
    Takoma Park
    My favorite type of fishing search the web and learn how to spot troughs and get a leather thumbguard if you are using a conventional(baitcasting) reel btw check surf and pier dot com I fish Hatteras and throw 8 ounces of lead+ bait also use a shock leader

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013

+1 Sue at Oyster Bay can get you set up with a reasonable priced rig. I believe it is totally worth it. Before children I would fish between surfing sessions all the time. I've caught blues rockfish and the occasional drum. I've caught many more skates and dogfish. Not keepers but good sport. Can't wait until the rug rats are old enough to join in the fun. Posted below is a link to Sue's fishing report which is updated weekly.

http://www.atbeach.com/fishrpt.html

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    There are a few things that will help answer your questions
    What week are you coming down?

I live down this way and surf fish all the time so if I have the time I can try and get you out to Assateague island to fish. If you PM me I'll give you my number and can give you more info..

We will be down for a week August 3rd through 10th. I am also planning to head down to Assateague a few times next fall to hopefully try some hunting in the National park. So perhaps I might get more use out of a rig than I think.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I would Just spend the money and go out on one of the head boats in that area.

Lewis Delaware has a bunch of boats. Not sure of the current pricing but basically you show up with a cooler of food and they will put everything you need into your hands. They will even cut up the fish at the end of the day.

A better way to go then buying equipment.

Best part is their only job is to put you on fish and they do this every day of the fishing season.

Sit back and enjoy

NukeNick

Jan 27, 2013

Lewis Delaware has a bunch of boats. Not sure of the current pricing but basically you show up with a cooler of food and they will put everything you need into your hands. They will even cut up the fish at the end of the day.

A better way to go then buying equipment.

Best part is their only job is to put you on fish and they do this every day of the fishing season.

Sit back and enjoy

Sure this is nice and all.
    But than you are missing the relaxing on dry land with the possibility of a camp set up next to you.

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    We will be down for a week August 3rd through 10th. I am also planning to head down to Assateague a few times next fall to hopefully try some hunting in the National park. So perhaps I might get more use out of a rig than I think.
    The fall is better for Rock fish and Red drum... summer time you will hit the small stuff and sharks :party29: now there is some fun.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD

I paid $180 for my former FIL and I to go rock fishing on the Bay in VA a couple years back... was awful. We hooked one fish and it wasn't even close to keeper size. If it had been my first fishing trip, I'd never have gone again. Doesn't help that my motion sickness has gotten worse over the years and I felt incredible sick most of the day.

The fall is better for Rock fish and Red drum... summer time you will hit the small stuff and sharks :party29: now there is some fun.

Shark... that is what I'm hoping for. Do you need steel leaders for them? When I have fished musky, we always used steel leaders. I would assume sharks are the same?

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    Shark... that is what I'm hoping for. Do you need steel leaders for them? When I have fished musky, we always used steel leaders. I would assume sharks are the same?[/QUOTE]

Just a short leader on the hook maybe about 1 ft after that a rub leader of about 5 ft or so to keep the line from being cut by rubbing on the shark... You can catch them just by casting out. Some of my friends kayak out there bait 200 to 300 yards with that you us trolling rods.
    This was a friends catch from a few years ago..

2006 summer fling (1).jpg

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Just a short leader on the hook maybe about 1 ft after that a rub leader of about 5 ft or so to keep the line from being cut by rubbing on the shark... You can catch them just by casting out. Some of my friends kayak out there bait 200 to 300 yards with that you us trolling rods.

That is quite a fine animal. So assuming you don't keep said animal... how does one go about releasing a shark safely? I have a special tool designed to grasp the hook and safely remove it from musky, pike & their kin... but I will say that animal makes my tool look quite small and pathetic! :lol2:

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    That is quite a fine animal. So assuming you don't keep said animal... how does one go about releasing a shark safely? I have a special tool designed to grasp the hook and safely remove it from musky, pike & their kin... but I will say that animal makes my tool look quite small and pathetic! :lol2:

Most all sharks are catch and release, as for removing the hook most times you can cut the steel leader and pull the hook thru, if the hook is further inside the mouth a 2x4 helps and a long pair of channel locks... to release you have to make sure that they have water going in there gills as you release them, so you have to wade out with the shark holding it by the tail then give it a push off and head to shore.. with all appendages attached :D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    . Some of my friends kayak out there bait 200 to 300 yards with that you us trolling rods.

man i did a ton of this down at outer banks/hatteras but it's been a few years. got tuna heads at the marina, rowed them out after dark in sea kayaks, dropped them off a few hundred yards out and came back to shore or pier and manned our 9/0 and larger rigs. also tons of live bait fishing at the ends of the piers.

the way guns and ammo pricing and availability are going, there may be a lot more fishing in my future.

to the OP, if you haven't used a conventional rod/reel a lot, may want to start with a spinning rig. birdsnests can get pretty ugly, but i personally prefer a baitcasting rig for heaving way out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom