• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It appears Crazy Uncle Joe is going to make us register AR pistols that have a stabilizing brace as a SBR.

Are SBR's legal in MD? I'm pretty much up to speed on MD's stupid "so-called assault weapons" laws, but clueless about SBR's in MD...never had one. TIA.

Not all AR-15s are "assault long guns". The "assault long gun" list is found in Public Safety Title 5 Subtitle 1. This PARTICULAR subtitle defines the term "handgun", which includes SBRs.

The "copycat weapon" is defined in a DIFFERENT subtitle (Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 3). This DIFFERENT subtitle does not define the term "handgun" so we fall back to SBRs being considered rifles.

DIFFERENT subtitles, DIFFERENT definitions.

So sum it all up for us counselor. What is a legal SBR in 5.56/.223 caliber in the state of Maryland, if you please.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Alright

Watching

Attachments

• 91A47A1C-4B34-48A3-B39D-9A3F737CCBA2.jpg
      91A47A1C-4B34-48A3-B39D-9A3F737CCBA2.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 189

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm waiting with bated breath! The irony is that they stated that a SBR is exempt from the copycat provisions, except for the 29" OAL.

They actually agreed with me, later on in the thread, after saying I was wrong. This is freaking great!

:popcorn:

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So sum it all up for us counselor. What is a legal SBR in 5.56/.223 caliber in the state of Maryland, if you please.

To be clear, I do not represent you or anyone here. The information presented here is for informational purposes and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion.

Semiautomatic SBRs in centerfire cartridges (such as 5.56) cannot meet the definition of a copycat weapon (Criminal Law 4-301)
    (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    (2) "Copycat weapon" does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.
    The OAL would need to be 29" or greater. If you have a detachable magazine you cannot have two of the three of the evil features. (Apparently 0,1, or all of the features are acceptable). If you have a fixed magazine than you are limited to 10 rounds.

If the 5.56 SBR was not semiautomatic it would appear that that there would be no way to meet the "copycat weapon" definition so none of the "copycat weapon" requirements listed above would need to be met.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To be clear, I do not represent you or anyone here. The information presented here is for informational purposes and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion.

Semiautomatic SBRs in centerfire cartridges (such as 5.56) cannot meet the definition of a copycat weapon (Criminal Law 4-301)
    The OAL would need to be 29" or greater. If you have a detachable magazine you cannot have two of the three of the evil features. (Apparently 0,1, or all of the features are acceptable). If you have a fixed magazine than you are limited to 10 rounds.

If the 5.56 SBR was not semiautomatic it would appear that that there would be no way to meet the "copycat weapon" definition so none of the "copycat weapon" requirements listed above would need to be met.

You shouldn't have quoted me. All I asked was that you answered the OP's question and in turn, end this circle-jerk of a thread. If you were such an expert on this matter, this entire waste of time could have been avoided upon your arrival. So often is it that a purported expert shows up only to throw more mystery into the subject by trickling out disconnected matters of fact, rather than answer the question straight away.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    You shouldn't have quoted me. All I asked was that you answered the OP's question and in turn, end this circle-jerk of a thread. If you were such an expert on this matter, this entire waste of time could have been avoided upon your arrival. So often is it that a purported expert shows up only to throw more mystery into the subject by trickling out disconnected matters of fact, rather than answer the question straight away.

I should have quoted you because you were the one asking the question. You never mentioned that you wanted the OP's question answered. That question was answered correctly in the first several posts. This "circle-jerk" of a thread continues because of people like yourself that refuse to understand that the SBR requirements come from the "copycat weapon" definition. Until you accept that you are the problem, this thread will continue.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I should have quoted you because you were the one asking the question. You never mentioned that you wanted the OP's question answered. That question was answered correctly in the first several posts. This "circle-jerk" of a thread continues because of people like yourself that refuse to understand that the SBR requirements come from the "copycat weapon" definition. Until you accept that you are the problem, this thread will continue.
    Have you ever done a SBR in MD?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

So the cherry picking of the law is in full force, eh? I respond with the actual text of the law. Specific parts bolded for easy finding of information.

Possession of NFA items:
    §4–106.
    (a) (1) In this section and § 4107 of this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (2) “Ammunition” means a cartridge, shell, or other device containing explosive or incendiary material designed and intended for use in a firearm.
    (3) “Bulletproof body armor” means a material or object that is designed to cover or be worn on any part ofthe body to prevent, deflect, or slow down the penetration of ammunition.
    (4) “Crime of violence” has the meaning stated in § 14101 of this article. (5) “Drug trafficking crime” has the meaning stated in § 5621 of this article.
    (6) “Firearm” includes:
    (i) a handgun, antique firearm, rifle, shotgun, shortbarreled shotgun, or shortbarreled rifle as those terms are defined in § 4201 of this title;
    (ii) an assault pistol as defined in § 4301 of this title;
    (iii) a machine gun as defined in § 4401 of this title; and
    (iv) a regulated firearm as defined in § 5101 of the Public Safety
    §4–201.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (b) “Antique firearm” means:
    (1) a firearm, including a firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, manufactured before 1899; or
    – 75 –(2) a replica of a firearm described in item (1) of this subsection that:
    (i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or
    (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    (c) (1) “Handgun” means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) “Handgun” includes a short–barreled shotgun and a short–barreled rifle.
    (3) “Handgun” does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

(d) “Law enforcement official” means:
    (1) a full–time member of a police force or other unit of the United States, a state, a county, a municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of a state who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the laws of the United States, a state, a county, a municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of a state;
    (2) a part–time member of a police force of a county or municipal corporation who is certified by the county or municipal corporation as being trained and qualified in the use of handguns;
    (3) a fire and explosive investigator of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department as defined in § 2–208.3 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
    (4) a Montgomery County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2–208.1 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
    (5) an Anne Arundel County or City of Annapolis fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2–208.2 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
    (6) a Worcester County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2–208.4 of the Criminal Procedure Article; or
    (7) a City of Hagerstown fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2–208.5 of the Criminal Procedure Article.
    (e) “Rifle” means a weapon that is:
    (1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and
    – 76 –(2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
    (f) “Short–barreled rifle” means:
    (1) a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long; or
    (2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

(g) “Short–barreled shotgun” means:
    (1) a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long; or
    (2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches long and was made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.
    (h) “Shotgun” means a weapon that is:
    (1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and
    (2) designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore one or more projectiles for each pull of the trigger.
    (i) “Vehicle” means a motor vehicle as defined in Title 11, Subtitle 1 of the Transportation Article, a train, an aircraft, or a vessel.
    §4–301.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (b) “Assault long gun” means any assault weapon listed under § 5–101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article.
    (c) “Assault pistol” means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:
    (1) AA Arms AP–9 semiautomatic pistol;
    (2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;
    (3) Claridge HI–TEC semiautomatic pistol;
    (4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;
    (5) Encom MK–IV, MP–9, or MP–45 semiautomatic pistol;
    (6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP–89 pistol;
    (7) Holmes MP–83 semiautomatic pistol;
    (8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    (9) Intratec TEC–9/DC–9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;
    (10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;
    (11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;
    (12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    (13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;
    (14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or
    (15) Wilkinson semiautomatic “Linda” pistol.
    (d) “Assault weapon” means:
    (1) an assault long gun;
    (2) an assault pistol; or
    (3) a copycat weapon.
    (e) (1) “Copycat weapon” means:
    – 86 –(i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (2) “Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.
    (f) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.
    (g) “Flash suppressor” means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.
    (h) “Licensed firearms dealer” means a person who holds a dealer’s license under Title 5, Subtitle 1 of the Public Safety Article.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So the cherry picking of the law is in full force, eh? I respond with the actual text of the law. Specific parts bolded for easy finding of information.

First of all, you need to cite the particular article of the law you are citing to. There are 36 articles to which you may be referring to. It appears that you are citing the Criminal Law Article.

You also need to be aware of how the definitions are defined. You have cited Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 2. Specifically look at 4-201(a) which states
    (a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

I agree that in Subtitle 2 the term "handgun" is defined and that SBRs are considered handguns in this subtitle.

The problem is that "copycat weapon" is defined in Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 3 (specifically 4-301(h)) It has the same general definition (see 4-301(a))
    (a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    There is no definition of "handgun" in this DIFFERENT subtitle.

DIFFERENT subtitles, DIFFERENT definitions.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    First of all, you need to cite the particular article of the law you are citing to. There are 36 articles to which you may be referring to. It appears that you are citing the Criminal Law Article.

You also need to be aware of how the definitions are defined. You have cited Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 2. Specifically look at 4-201(a) which states .

I agree that in Subtitle 2 the term "handgun" is defined and that SBRs are considered handguns in this subtitle.

The problem is that "copycat weapon" is defined in Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 3 (specifically 4-301(h)) It has the same general definition (see 4-301(a)) There is no definition of "handgun" in this DIFFERENT subtitle.
    And yet you can't actually tell any of us where the law states that SBR's are or aren't exempt from copycat provisions in the law.

Short version like I stated above, a SBR must be >29" OAL, yet the other provisions for features do not apply.

Have a nice night.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    And yet you can't actually tell any of us where the law states that SBR's are or aren't exempt from copycat provisions in the law.

Short version like I stated above, a SBR must be >29" OAL, yet the other provisions for features do not apply.

Have a nice night.

IF an SBR meets the definition of a "copycat weapon" (Criminal Law 4-301(h)) then it is banned under 4-303. A "copycat weapon" is considered an "assault weapon" (4-301(d))

The definition of a "copycat weapon" is
    (1) "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (2) "Copycat weapon" does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

Why does item iii apply to SBRs but not items i or ii? They all refer to a semiautomatic centerfire rifles

Maybe I am looking in the wrong section for this 29" OAL requirement for SBRs. Where does this 29" OAL requirement that applies to SBRs come from?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    IF an SBR meets the definition of a "copycat weapon" (Criminal Law 4-301(h)) then it is banned under 4-303. A "copycat weapon" is considered an "assault weapon" (4-301(d))

The definition of a "copycat weapon" is

Why does item iii apply to SBRs but not items i or ii? They all refer to a semiautomatic centerfire rifles

Maybe I am looking in the wrong section for this 29" OAL requirement for SBRs. Where does this 29" OAL requirement that applies to SBRs come from?

You said "if". That really doesn't help you out here...

Go read the text of SB281 from when it was passed and became FSA2013....

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    You said "if". That really doesn't help you out here...

Go read the text of SB281 from when it was passed and became FSA2013....

IF an SBR does not meet the definition of a "copycat weapon" then it is not banned and one can legally possess it in MD.

The text of FSA2013 has been incorporated into the various sections of the MD code. Explain to me how the law requires an SBR to be 29" or greater, but not have to meet any of the other requirements of the "copycat weapon" definitions or whatever delusional misconception you believe.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    IF an SBR does not meet the definition of a "copycat weapon" then it is not banned and one can legally possess it in MD.

The text of FSA2013 has been incorporated into the various sections of the MD code. Explain to me how the law requires an SBR to be 29" or greater, but not have to meet any of the other requirements of the "copycat weapon" definitions or whatever delusional misconception you believe.

You never answered my question about you buying or going through the process of registering a receiver as a SBR, so I'll take your silence to mean that you have no idea what you are talking about, because you don't own a SBR.

Let's make it real easy for you. Submit the eForm 1 to make/ register a firearm that is >29" OAL and see what happens about a month later. I can tell you here and now that you don't know what you are blathering on about, because if you did know, you wouldn't be trying to convince everybody that a new SBR that is >29" OAL is a banned weapon.

Go do the research or submit the eForm 1 and see what happens. I'm waiting on a form 5320.20 to come back for a permanent change of address into MD for some items.

When you actually want to discuss this like a adult, instead of some wannabe internet lawyer, we can talk. Otherwise, discussing this further with you is a waste of my time and everybody's bandwidth.

Have a nice night and thanks for playing.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    You never answered my question about you buying or going through the process of registering a receiver as a SBR, so I'll take your silence to mean that you have no idea what you are talking about, because you don't own a SBR.

Let's make it real easy for you. Submit the eForm 1 to make/ register a firearm that is >29" OAL and see what happens about a month later. I can tell you here and now that you don't know what you are blathering on about, because if you did know, you wouldn't be trying to convince everybody that a new SBR that is >29" OAL is a banned weapon.

Go do the research or submit the eForm 1 and see what happens. I'm waiting on a form 5320.20 to come back for a permanent change of address into MD for some items.

When you actually want to discuss this like a adult, instead of some wannabe internet lawyer, we can talk. Otherwise, discussing this further with you is a waste of my time and everybody's bandwidth.

Have a nice night and thanks for playing.

No I don't own an SBR. What does that have to do with the requirements to possess an SBR in MD?

How does a federal SBR tax stamp demonstrate that you have met all applicable MD requirements? How does one figure out what these requirements are?

I have never argued that a new SBR greater than 29" is a banned weapon. My claim is that a new SBR that meets the "copycat weapon" definition is banned per MD law.

You claim that you want to discuss this like an adult, yet in the same sentence you make childish ad hominem attacks. Trying to demonstrate your own position seems like and an adult thing to do. Where do these requirements actually come from?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If we are going to have an "adult" conversation about this, we should also look at the penalty for getting this issue wrong. From Criminal Law 4-306
    (a) In general. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

If I understand the federal prohibition on firearms correctly, a conviction on the possession of a "copycat weapon"/"assault weapon" would be a permeant ban on future firearm ownership for life. This is because the crime is a misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years imprisonment.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No I don't own an SBR. What does that have to do with the requirements to possess an SBR in MD?

How does a federal SBR tax stamp demonstrate that you have met all applicable MD requirements? How does one figure out what these requirements are?

I have never argued that a new SBR greater than 29" is a banned weapon. My claim is that a new SBR that meets the "copycat weapon" definition is banned per MD law.

You claim that you want to discuss this like an adult, yet in the same sentence you make childish ad hominem attacks. Trying to demonstrate your own position seems like and an adult thing to do. Where do these requirements actually come from?

You started the derogatory posts, yet when it is turned around, you claim to be the victim? Grow up, hoss. All the quoted posts below will showcase your general attitude towards other members, when it come to arrogance and a false sense of superiority.

If we are going to have an "adult" conversation about this, we should also look at the penalty for getting this issue wrong. From Criminal Law 4-306

If I understand the federal prohibition on firearms correctly, a conviction on the possession of a "copycat weapon"/"assault weapon" would be a permeant ban on future firearm ownership for life. This is because the crime is a misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years imprisonment.

Furthermore, you have ZERO standing in this thread, considering that numerous members on here -and in this very thread- have applied for a a Form 1 to create a SBR, and had it approved post 2013, as long as it exceeds 29" OAL, but then again you wouldn't know about that, because you have never actually tried to legally buy or legally build a SBR in MD, via your own admission.

You really want to find out about a SBR? Go to the ATF EFORMS webpage, create a account, do all the steps required on there for a eForm 1, pay for the tax stamp, hit submit, then mail your fingerprints and cover letter off to:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    National Firearms Act Division
    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

In 30-60 days you will get a email response from eforms . notifications @ atf . gov telling you whether or not your application to Make/Register a firearm was approved or not.

But then again you wouldn't try to submit a eForm 1 to try to prove that any of the other members and I are wrong, would you? Yea, I didn't think so.

Your "argument" in internet legalese and your attempt to legitimize yourself as a attorney by doing a cross examination or interrogation of multiple members, including myself, shows how little you are able to see beyond your own preconceived notions. In addition to that, the way you conducted yourself in this thread shows the amount of contempt you have for people that understand the law, can abide by it, because they know what can/can't be done, while all you are doing is sitting in the corner screaming that we have to prove we are right by quoting the relevant section of the law. We don't have to prove that the law allows us to do do something, we see that the law does not PROHIBIT the act, therefore by default, the act is LEGAL.

Before you start your high horse up again and attempt to make me answer any more of your ludicrous questions, I will tell you that I personally have submitted and received approval for no less than 4 SBR's in MD. Should you wish to verify that, I would be more than willing to meet up with you and allow you to see the approved tax stamps. I'll even show you the approved 5320.20 that allows me to do a permanent change of address for 2 SBR's to MD.

It is almost impossible to find a HBAR to put on a SBR. I also have spoken to people at MSP LD about it and they have all said that the HBAR provision does not apply to a legally owned and lawfully manufactured SBR that was created after 2013.

You wanted to play the game, and now you lost. Suck it up, deal with the fact that you don't know as much as you think you do. School is now out of session. Class dismissed.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Your hypocrisy is staggering. I merely respond in the same manner that I am treated. I was not claiming to be a victim, I was pointing out YOUR hypocrisy. YOU continue to show arrogance and a false sense of superiority over this issue. I don't really have a problem with the level of discourse, but you seem to want to point it out. Treat me like you want to be treated and I will reciprocate.

You can't even figure out what my argument is. I have never claimed that an AR-15 SBR needs an HBAR barrel. That issue is related to an "assault long gun" and I have explained how an SBR gets you out of that requirement.

What I am saying is that the law does PROHIBIT the possession of SBRs that meet the definition of "copycat weapon" The possession of those SBRs would be ILLEGAL.

I do not doubt that you have been through the process to obtain multiple SBRs. You still have not explained how going through a federal process helps determine what the requirements to possess an SBR in MD actually are. Shouldn't we be able figure this out without going through the process?

I am not sure how asking you to demonstrate where the requirements for a 29" OAL come from and why other aspect of those requirements don't apply is a "ludicrous question". It seems to get to the heart of the issue. Why can't you answer that simple question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom