• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I'm looking to replace my kitchen electric range with a gas range. Our furnace and hot water heater run on gas. The range is located one floor up and about 30' away from the hot water heater and furnace. I have not bought the range yet, shopping has started. Timeframe would be within the next two months.

Anyone interested in a side job?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Get quotes BEFORE you buy the range. Running a gas line ain't cheap. I was shocked at the prices I got. Same situation, gas line on other side of the unfinished basement. Straight run to where the range would be. No drilling except the floor. I got quotes from 1200 to 2K. At that point, I kept the electric.That was 05.
    When we finished the basement 10 years later, we did it then and rolled it in the the larger cost.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Where are you located? Is the area below the kitchen finished or unfinished? When I did the exact same thing, my buddy ran the new line outside and through my garage and then into the kitchen right behind my range.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Location? Pricing depends on material used. Just adding a range you have options. Ward Flex which would be fastest but expensive for material. Soft copper which is almost as fast but with a little savings in material or Black steel which can be cheaper if it's threaded or expensive if you mega press it. We mega press 99% of all our gas now. Fittings aren't cheap but the savings in labor make up for it.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    You are probably ok, but you might want to check your meter capacity. Call the gas company with your account info, meter number and ask the capacity. Then total up the demand on your system, this being the total input capacity of your existing equipment and the input capacity of the stove you plan to add.
    Your water heater (if storage type) is probably 40,000 btu/hr (or 40 MBH) and your furnace is probably ~90 MBH. If you can't find the data on the data on the stove, you can use 65 MBH as a plug number. This would put you at ~195 MBH. I think most residential meters are in the 300 MBH range, so you should be ok, but its better to know what you're getting into before you start.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    You are probably ok, but you might want to check your meter capacity. Call the gas company with your account info, meter number and ask the capacity. Then total up the demand on your system, this being the total input capacity of your existing equipment and the input capacity of the stove you plan to add.
    Your water heater (if storage type) is probably 40,000 btu/hr (or 40 MBH) and your furnace is probably ~90 MBH. If you can't find the data on the data on the stove, you can use 65 MBH as a plug number. This would put you at ~195 MBH. I think most residential meters are in the 300 MBH range, so you should be ok, but its better to know what you're getting into before you start.

Cool. Very informative. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom